Buggy/car rental in Brazil

Forum for kitesurfers
Dann
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Buggy/car rental in Brazil

Postby Dann » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:44 am

Watch out for 'GRID Car Rentals' and 'GOLD Car Rentals,' both tried to rip me off months after I returned home.

We rented in Cumbuco from companies in Fortaleza (which is a very nice city and I recommend you do spend some time there).

We payed 37$R a day for a 4 door sedan and hatchback (monthly rate). Shop around, you can get good deals.

I wouldn;t bother with buggies, they are slow, loud, cant lock your stuff in them, use lots of gas, and aren't very reliable.

Cheers,

Dan

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:32 am

the buggies are loud? come on, that makes it the fun! Sounds like 1000 hp! ;-)

Cumbuco-Guesthouse
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco
Favorite Beaches: Lagoon of Cauipe
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Cumbuco-Guesthouse » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi there,

it can happen in any place that companies charge you later for something which is not always correct.

If you dont speak the language i recommend to rent through an travel agency or someone who knows the market a bit more than only from a few weeks vacation ...

We have a strict rule ... you cheat me once but never again ... so we work only with rental car companies we know already since years this is the best guarantee not to have problems.

Greetings from windy Cumbuco

www.Cumbuco-Guesthouse.com

kitesurfingcumbuco
Medium Poster

Postby kitesurfingcumbuco » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Nice that you are planning a vacation in Cumbuco

For accommodation check out :

www.kiteboarding-cumbuco.com

Yaki
Rare Poster

Postby Yaki » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi there,
Recently I stayed in a really nice and cosy pousada its located at the entrance of Cumbuco, they have internet connection, amazing breakfast, international tv channels, you may kite just in front of it, the best is the price 100 reals for double room.
Its worth to check it out...
If I bad dont remember the web site is www.belezadasondascumbuco.com

Yaki

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm

I rented a car for 7 weeks from "Fortaleza Rent A Car" (R$50.00 per day for a Gol- the Brazilian version of the VW Golf).
After I returned the car (the guys signed the contract that the car was returned fine) the bandits charged my credit card R$1800.00 despite all bills were paid. I rang and asked why and they made excuses it would be refunded. The next day still no refund. I rang up again and they came up with stories that I had driven the car to Jeri and therefor the security bond was charged and is not refundable. I asked how he came up with that story and he hang up and never answered the phone again (my departure was on the next following day).
I contacted my cc company who is still trying to recover the money (I'm back since a month now).

You better pay a few more bucks and rent from the Cumbuco service station or any of the hotels in Cumbuco who will take care in case something goes wrong.

Cheers

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi,

We made on two trips good experiences with www.autoeurope.com
They have a location @ the airport in Fortaleza, and they were the cheapest (cheaper than Hertz, Avis etc.)
We rented a VW crossfox, which, while not a 4weeldrive, had a bit more clearance than a normal small car.
When we brought it back after 3 weeks on the beach, filled with 3'' of Sand inside, we needed to pay 10 bucks extra for cleaning, which I deemed fully adequate :cool2:

Cheers

Mathias

PS: just make sure that you note even the smallest scratch or anything that could look like, might save your ass big time in case you really add some scratches :naughty:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:40 pm

PS: just make sure that you note even the smallest scratch or anything that could look like, might save your ass big time in case you really add some scratches
yes, very important!

And do check the tires and the spare tire...sometimes they are really bad!!!

The rental from the gas station in Cumbuco are top, they don't want to rip people off. They do charge a bit more, but also have top cars.

Try to get a flex motor, so you can fill it up with Alcohol (about 40% cheaper than gasoline).

PS: buggies are a complete different story. tuff to get real good ones without problems!

llaurice1
Rare Poster

Postby llaurice1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:47 am

My parents shared the same experience at ''GRID Car Rentals' and 'GOLD Car Rentals'' just as yours. It's really much better to browse through the net so u can have cheaper options.

Regards,
llaurice1

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:59 am

Caesar wrote:I rented a car for 7 weeks from "Fortaleza Rent A Car" (R$50.00 per day for a Gol- the Brazilian version of the VW Golf).
After I returned the car (the guys signed the contract that the car was returned fine) the bandits charged my credit card R$1800.00 despite all bills were paid. I rang and asked why and they made excuses it would be refunded. The next day still no refund. I rang up again and they came up with stories that I had driven the car to Jeri and therefor the security bond was charged and is not refundable. I asked how he came up with that story and he hang up and never answered the phone again (my departure was on the next following day).
I contacted my cc company who is still trying to recover the money (I'm back since a month now).

You better pay a few more bucks and rent from the Cumbuco service station or any of the hotels in Cumbuco who will take care in case something goes wrong.

Cheers
I finally got the money back. My cc company recovered it.

Cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”