Brand Affiliation: None.

North: Surfboards 2009

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:08 am

North News:

Surfboards 2009

Download the complete PDF here
Bild 4.png
Bild 4.png (327.01 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
kite ‚surfing‘ has come a long way since we first introduced the north rocket fish back in 2006.

Vast improvements in kite technology and surfboard construction have broadened the range of conditions we can ride and how we are able to perform in those conditions. New spots are being discovered across the globe as the boundaries of where we can go on a wave are being pushed forward with every session. It seems that these days kite-‘surfing‘ is reaching a performance level that even the world‘s best surfers can not deny. At North, our commitment to pushing kite-surfing to the next level year after year is unwavering. The addition of our first ever ‚pure surf‘ rider Dreu Beavis last year, full-time shaper Martin Littlewood and a range of pro model surfboards for 2009 is testament to this commitment.

For 2009 our surf team worked closely with Littlewood to bring you the Kontact, Bullet and Freestyle Fish, a range of boards that cover nearly all conditions.

Custom Epoxy / EPS / Wood sandwich Construction

High Pressure Technology 09

Derived from windsurf technology, this construction features a high strength to weight ratio with great resistance to dents and perforations, resulting in durable and high performance surf style kiteboards. This year we’ve put strong focus on optimizing the flex and dampening properties,
bringing the feeling and performance close to that of a traditional Clarkfoam / polyester custom board. A new high density “surf-style” core has been developed together with a wood sandwich / multiaxial fiber glass layup, optimizing flex, torsion and dampening. Together with a high glossy
polished finish, our 2009 surfboard range has both the looks and performance of a custom board, but with far superior durability!
Bild 3.png
Bild 3.png (70.1 KiB) Viewed 11824 times
Bild 1.png
Bild 1.png (146.7 KiB) Viewed 7114 times
Bild 2.png
Bild 2.png (115.47 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
KONTACT 2009

Sizes:
* 5’8”
* 5’10”
* 6’1”
Kontact_2009_1.png
Kontact_2009_1.png (184.9 KiB) Viewed 8230 times
Kontact_2009_2.png
Kontact_2009_2.png (73.91 KiB) Viewed 7382 times
Kontact_2009_3.png
Kontact_2009_3.png (56.01 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
North introduces the Kontact; A surfboard range that will take your kitesurfing to new levels! With the input of pro riders Sky Solbach and Dreu Beavis, Australian shaper Martin Littlewood has put his 30 + years of shaping experience and a full year of R&D into the Kontact range. From pumping Western Australia to PKRA competition in Chile and down to one-foot onshore beach breaks, these boards are designed to be pushed as hard as possible in all conditions. The concept is quite simple; The overall look and feel of a bigger semi-gun, scaled down to around 6‘ for kiting. The result is a board that offers excellent grip and encourages you to go as fast as possible into turns and carves and give you more confidence in pushing the next turn. These boards excel in good conditions where speed and control is key, but still maintain enough direct response and snappiness to push your limits in smaller surf. Strapped or strapless, big or small surf, the Kontact is a no compromise high performance range of competition surfboards that will never hold you back.

Surf Fins 09

* Small = Pinhead: Fast and snappy for light weight riders.
* Large = Fathead: Lots of drive and grip for heavier riders.

"The 6‘1“ is the perfect board for me in all conditions. When it‘s big and windy, it drives through turns like no other board I‘ve ever ridden and has plenty of snap for steep beach breaks." - Sky Solbach

Features

* High Performance
* Carving & Control az high Speed
* Down the Line surfing
* Custom Epoxy Wood Sandwich
* Dual Density Pads
* Future Fin System

FREESTYLE FISH 2009

Sizes:
* 5‘0“
* 5‘3“
Freestyle_Fish_2009_1.png
Freestyle_Fish_2009_1.png (146.13 KiB) Viewed 7366 times
Freestyle_Fish_2009_2.png
Freestyle_Fish_2009_2.png (43.55 KiB) Viewed 7607 times
The Freestyle Fish concept is only a year old, yet it has been one of the most talked board in our range. What started as a concept project last year is now a category of it’s own in 2009. This has only encouraged us to continue pushing and developing the FSF for 2009. This year we’ve used the knowledge and experience of surf shaper Martin Littlewood to give a more “surfy” twist to this concept without losing the ease of use that made the Freestyle Fish so popular in the past. We’ve expanded the range to a bigger version to please the bigger riders and light wind freaks.

The result is two boards that will make the most fun of medium and small surf, light wind or even flat water freestyling.

Feel free to have a blast in conditions that you used to overlook; Onshore mush, wind swell… the freestyle fish will challenge you to have the most fun. You will still dream of being in Hawaii everyday, but it will ease the pain!

Both boards can be ridden with or without straps and all the accessories have been improved to achieve maximum comfort and performance. A perfect complement to your quiver bag!

Features

* Epic Sessions in crappy Waves
* Easy to ride and jibe
* Strapped or unstrapped
* Custom Epoxy Wood Sandwich
* Sky Hooks
* Future Fin System

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: North: Surfboards 2009

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:20 am

Portrait Martin „Marty“ Littlewood
Bild 1.png
Bild 1.png (146.7 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
Marty, would you mind introducing yourself?

My name is Martin Littlewood and I am the owner of Delta Designs, based in Margaret River WA/Australia. Delta Designs has always produced surfboards, was the leading custom sailboard brand in the 90‘s and is now deeply involved in kitesurfing R&D with NKB. I have been shaping for 35 years, the last 20 years of which in Margaret River, to where I moved to follow the best windsurfing in Australia. I started to kitesurf in 2000 and have not windsurfed since.

The Kontact and the Bullet surf line are not the first boards you shaped for North Kiteboarding. Jaime Herraiz developed his beloved Freestylefish together with you that created a new segment in kitesurfing. Tell us about how it all started.

I first met Sky and Jaime in 2006 when they came to WA for the first time to do kite development. I was totally blown away by their kiting ability and also by their kites....the ‚06 Vegas was a revelation to all the wave kiters at Margs and we soon became friends. This quickly spilled over into my building some „out there“ prototypes for Jaime that were the catalysts for the FsF. When the boys returned in ‚07, they made sure they had lots of time in Margaret River and we worked on refining the FsF with Jaime and the started working with Sky on his wave boards. This was the year that Dreu Beavis started ripping up the surf and we hooked him up with North. From that time on we worked closely together on his boards and the result was the 09 CONTAKT series in conjunction with Sky.

How close do you work with the riders? Do you develop the boards according to your ideas of how the board should ride or is it more the riders who are telling you what they want?

Working with these guys is fantastic as they understand how small changes can affect performance and we were able to get very positive and accurate feedback quickly into the next board and make real progress with the boards.

You live on one of the most wanted Surf- Kite- and Windsurf Spots on this planet. How did you get there?

I first came to Margaret River on a three-months surf trip in 1973..............I knew from then that the wind was strong and when I got into windsurfing it was obvious to me that Margs was the place to be. During the time from 1985 onwards I have come to love this unique area and really appreciate its power.

What do you think is the reason that kitesurfing is still not really accepted in the surfing scene?

I think that the general surfing public have a new respect for kitesurfing since Dreu and Sky have been ripping it up in Margs the last 2 years........ many surfers who would never have considered kitesurfing in the last few years are now buying kites. The boys are pulling off more radical turns than the pro surfers and people can’t help but notice that and they talk about it all the time now.

Where do you see yourself in 20 years?

In 20 years I would like to be living in Margaret River....Designing boards on computers and testing them with the next generations of hot guys and utilizing the talents of the old guys like Sky and Dreu.

Kite or Surf?

Kite any day, more power, speed and lots more waves with no hassle from other surfers.

Swim or Fly?

Both are good.

Wolverine or Silver Surfer?

Silver Surfer as that’s the way my hair is going.

Reef or Sand?

Reef any day as its always the same and the swells give it variety...............Sand is there one day,
gone the next.

Morning or Evening?

Morning.

Wood or Foam?

Depends what you are looking for...Combinations are good.

Rock or Pop?

Rock every time, I have a ‚69 fender stratocaster and a lap steel guitar that I‘d like to find more time for.

Grey or black&white?

Black and white, ultimate contrast, throw in a dash of red and you‘ve got LIFE.

Vinyl or Ipod?

Both have their place ....Leaning towards ipod.
Attachments
Bild 7.png
Bild 7.png (26.5 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Bild 6.png
Bild 6.png (33.88 KiB) Viewed 6975 times
Bild 5.png
Bild 5.png (185.63 KiB) Viewed 6978 times
Bild 3.png
Bild 3.png (70.1 KiB) Viewed 6968 times

MestreWorldCup
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Montgat Beach, Barcelona
Style: race, surf, carving surf
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MestreWorldCup » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:24 pm

The North Kontact of 2009 seams the North Rocketfish of 2008

Anybody could to sure that it's completely a new shape ??
Anybody tested it ??
Do you think it's jump proof ?

Thanks all !!
Cheers
Last edited by MestreWorldCup on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

MestreWorldCup
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Montgat Beach, Barcelona
Style: race, surf, carving surf

Postby MestreWorldCup » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:14 am

Anybody tested it also ?
looks good !!

thanks a lot in advance

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:20 am

MestreWorldCup wrote:Anybody tested it also ?
looks good !!

thanks a lot in advance
I have one. Very smooth ride compared to my surfboards. Beats everything upwind. Can get you in trouble in light winds. You'll be out on the water, really feeling powered and going upwind, then stop to jibe and NO WIND, kite goes down, and you swim and wait for the next puff. I hear this type kiting is normal for lake guys :D

I drifted out to sea for 10 minutes waiting on the next puff of wind.

Fun board.

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake neusiedl
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra, Flysurfer

Postby pndLA » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:15 pm

I have one. Very smooth ride compared to my surfboards. Beats everything upwind. Can get you in trouble in light winds. You'll be out on the water, really feeling powered and going upwind, then stop to jibe and NO WIND, kite goes down, and you swim and wait for the next puff. I hear this type kiting is normal for lake guys
sounds good!

what about speed??? (downwind)
and what about overpowered conditions???

jaycob
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby jaycob » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks a lot like the airush converse 2 years ago
very original north.

swell
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: the fastest

Postby swell » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:33 pm

jaycob wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks a lot like the airush converse 2 years ago
very original north.
What are you smoking???
Yes, it's just the same as airush, cabrinha, slingshot etc. because it has 2 straps, 3 fins and is a directional one.

Rbgar
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Favorite Beaches: nude-
Style: Smooth
Gear: Everything
Brand Affiliation: Self sponsored team rider

Postby Rbgar » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:25 pm

:?: howabout the new Bullet Quads, anyone got any news on those?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Dwight wrote:
MestreWorldCup wrote:Anybody tested it also ?
looks good !!

thanks a lot in advance
I have one. Very smooth ride compared to my surfboards. Beats everything upwind. Can get you in trouble in light winds. You'll be out on the water, really feeling powered and going upwind, then stop to jibe and NO WIND, kite goes down, and you swim and wait for the next puff. I hear this type kiting is normal for lake guys :D

I drifted out to sea for 10 minutes waiting on the next puff of wind.

Fun board.
How would you rate it for light winds? Is it much fun if you are not into racing? How is it for getting back in if the wind drops in an onshore wind?

Return to “Kitesurfing”