There's nothing else to say ... :nono:

Ted B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Severe Storm Lofting In Florida - Video

Postby Ted B » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Man they just keep showing the video over and over on Channel 26 CNN Really bad PR for kitesurfing. AND DAMN THAT LOOKS REALLY BAD. But I understand it is summer and here in Va. beach we have had no good wind for months so you get desperate and go out in bad conditions...I really hope this kiter makes a FULL RECOVERY. My prayers to him and his family!!

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:11 pm

I was going to go kitesurfing after work. But now i can't because an AUTHORITY from CALI thinks we are all idiots in florida...it sure is nice out right now. :-? what to do, what to do...go home and get on my bike and ride 160+ on the interstate...or jump waves on the ski at 60knots. decisions...we all make our decision and live with the consequences. i agree with another poster. quick release don't work. once you feel the need to use it, you are already a second too late. anyone who does this sport is subject to a spanking. if you gonna play, you gonna pay. don't judge and criticize others, but learn from their lessons.

nj kiter
Medium Poster

Postby nj kiter » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:23 pm

dam that is what i call storm boarding i hope he is OK. he was moving so fast through the air he really didn't have a lot of time to release.

Lindy @ Sharkless.com
Frequent Poster

Postby Lindy @ Sharkless.com » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:30 pm

My thoughts are with him. I hope he's ok!
So so scary!

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:43 pm

pluvious2002 wrote:any discussion of kite type in this context is misplaced. conditions were such that NO RIDER -- regardless of experience, kite type, kite size, equip, etc, -- should have been out there.

to the extent that the rider shown WAS out there, that represents a failure. he should not have put ANY kite up, even a trainer. whose fault is this? his own? his instructors? his mates?

pick anybody you want. the point is, for whatever reason, he did not have the proper respect for the conditions. that, combined with his own possible overestimation of his (mad) skills, is a deadly mix.
TRUTH!

Nobody should ever be so desperate to ride that they're willing to die - if the video shows anything, it shows how many kitesurfers don't understand this (plenty of other guys in harnesses, kites pumped up, and one in the air).

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:56 pm

I understand another experienced rider suffered a serious neck fracture in Miami yesterday. This may have been about 25 miles south of the Ft. Lauderdale accident. He is in hospital and thankfully has not suffered paralysis from reports. I wish him the best in recovering fully. No details yet but I imagine the trauma was also related to squall winds. If someone has information about how the rider is doing and what happened, it would be good to know either here, via PM or email to flkitesurfer (at) hotmail.com.

Riders need to change how they view squalls. In the interim expect more readily avoidable injuries and losses.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

AlwaysCharging
Rare Poster

Postby AlwaysCharging » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:35 pm

The only safe way in this situation is to bring the kite down so that a wing tip is in the water ( to keep your speed slow ) and body drag in keeping the kite wing tip on the water, and when the kite reaches the beach while you are still in the water release the kite to safety.
Use an Oh shit handle held with one hand when you release your QR, then if it all gets ugly you can let go of the Oh shit with out having to find the leash QR.
This is very good advice. I've been out in perfect 18-25 mph wind only to have it change to 5-45 mph with 180 degree direction changes with no warning (kite starts to fall out of the sky & then you become a human t-bag). The only thing I've found works for these conditions is to crash or land your kite in the c side up position, unhook, grab your chicken loop with 1 hand, let go of the bar completely, and follow your kite in. If the beach clear of people, detach your leash as well & don't be afraid to ditch your kite if you are getting dragged into something. Having one hand or just a couple fingers around the chicken loop guarantees an involuntary release should a major gust hit. I've used this technique several times with good success as the place I kite is known to do this on occasion.

Blue Ice
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton
Gear: Flexifoil Ion3 7m + 8.5m
FOne Bandit 13m

Postby Blue Ice » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Lets hope hes a member on here, and he replies to this thread once hes all in one peace again!

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Wow that video is sickening. I wish the best for the guy.

Even after watching it several times i still had an urge to go out....'shit for brains'

Until i checked radar and graphs to confirm the obvious

How anybody could look at the graph below and decide that it could be a fun day of kiting is beyond me....think i will stay at home and play with my kid.
newgraph.gif
newgraph.gif (23.02 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
EDIT:
I probably shouldn't have posted the graph in this kids thread. This graph is not from the same location or time.

It was more the thoughts going thru my head. I should have said it didn't look like a fun day of kiting to 'me'. To some i am sure it was a wild day.

I hope the kid makes a full recovery.
Last edited by ryansurf1 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”