Severe Storm Lofting In Florida - Video

Forum for kitesurfers
Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.
Has thanked: 0

Re: Severe Storm Lofting In Florida - Video

Postby Kosh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:51 am

Ouch, worst video I've ever seen.
Oh, and if could, I would have liked to report and get Experimental Player kicked out of the forum--...amazing that someone can show so much disrespect for an injured kiter.

ian c
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby ian c » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:02 am

"the reporter was also commenting on how the authorities are getting fed up with these activities" - do nothing, stay indoors, do not have fun in the land of freedom

Get well soon dude. I think you had a lucky escape judging from your second twang

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:11 am

Hope the guy get through this OK.

But going out in these conditions is just asking for trouble.

Going out in there conditions without impact vest and Helmet... plain crazy

Strong winds are one thing... storm winds are another.

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:30 am

I'm sorry but you guys riding down there in FL are idiots. What the hell do you think would happen when you throw up a kite in conditions like that? It's like kite safety 101.
That vid clip has made it's way all over the airwaves. Good f-ing job. You all deserve the Darwin award in my book. No sympathy here!!

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Re: Bad TS Fay Squall Injury - Video

Postby Kevin Salter » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:38 am

mastree wrote:.

Before the squall line moved in, there was one other kiter out with him and they were attempting to get back on the beach and land their kites. .
This is the real issue. If you are out on the water and see a squall line coming don't try and race it back to the beach.

The only safe way in this situation is to bring the kite down so that a wing tip is in the water ( to keep your speed slow ) and body drag in keeping the kite wing tip on the water, and when the kite reaches the beach while you are still in the water release the kite to safety.
Use an Oh shit handle held with one hand when you release your QR, then if it all gets ugly you can let go of the Oh shit with out having to find the leash QR.

Why this is the only safe way in is that as you get closer to land and buildings the wind increases and becomes more gusty.

The above safety will work for all styles of kites , and I have used this myself several times over the years and know it works, so be safe if you get caught out in squally conditions. :thumb:
Last edited by Kevin Salter on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:10 am

I just hope he will be alright! That is the most important!

EP: looks like you never had a fifth line failing on you. I had, several times. That won't save your life. If shit happens, it happens, no matter what kite or system.
You are the type of person, who relies on his QR, no matter what. Maybe so did the guy in the video...hopefully you get what I mean...

I wonder why you the guy, or anyone out in those conditions took the risk? They broke many "golden" rules:

- don't ride in onshore winds
- don't go out if squalls are forecasted
- don't go out in storms
- don't go out in too strong winds
- don't have a kite up on the beach (specially not with onshore winds)

The risk he took was at at least 50% of getting hurt.

Kevin Salter gives a very important advice:

About 99% of the accidents happen on land, so why would you want to get onto the beach with your kite up in conditions like this?
Sure, onshore winds are tougher to handle, this is much easier with sideshore winds, since it leaves you room for mistakes.

I have been in squalls and I was fighting it, but always enough distance from the beach. Once I spotted a land helper, I slowly ride (or bodydrag) towards the beach and fly the kite low, so the land helper can catch the kite. This is the best way to not get hurt. And if you see you will miss the helper, don't come to shore too close, but rather fly the kite back up, turn and ride out again, and try again the same. I don't want to release in these winds, landing the kite myself...that would be the last option. But once I'm on shore or when I launch my kite, I always have a hand on the trigger to release the QR immediately, if needed.

Dead onshore winds are tough to come to shore like this. That's why you should not ride in onshore winds.

I wonder if there will be any consequences due to this accident for riding in stormy conditions?

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:27 am

don't think the kite type would not have mattered here. i watched it once. not planning on watching again. ive seen a guy go into just hanging onto the bar paralysis once. it ended well as he got wedged under a big bush, we jump on him and when he came to his senses he pulled his own safety before the kite yanked him further. shit can go bad so quickly if you are out in conditions over your level. getting disoriented is not an option when conditions are heavy.

i did a down-winder recently and ended up finishing on an empty beach in 40+ knots winds (same front as in the Ruben loop vids) with my kite buddy trailing me by 500m. normally we land each-other with one kite in the air. conditions were gusty side-on. choice was obvious. i pulled my safety 50m from the coast and bodysurfed in. lines were a mess but i'd do the same thing again (and have). i was flying fuel 7m and my safety went to a rear line.. spun like nuts but no crazy pull.

hoping the guy recovers to kite another day.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:40 am

i did a down-winder recently and ended up finishing on an empty beach in 40+ knots winds (same front as in the Ruben loop vids) with my kite buddy trailing me by 500m. normally we land each-other with one kite in the air. conditions were gusty side-on. choice was obvious. i pulled my safety 50m from the coast and bodysurfed in. lines were a mess but i'd do the same thing again (and have). i was flying fuel 7m and my safety went to a rear line.. spun like nuts but no crazy pull
sounds like the way to do. But I think it should be mentioned, that you should calculate a problem when releasing, like a looping kite, so you need to know where your leash release is to be ready for whatever.
And pay attention to the lines when you released and swim to the beach...I would suggest moving on ONE line to the kite and swim in with your kite in your arms...since you might experience the loss of power while you swim in...and the kite would help you not to drown (personal experience!).

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:41 am

The first correct decision in those circumstances would be not to go out.

Experimental Player often spouts his anti-bow stuff just for the sake of it. He does not express himself maturely, but on this occasion I think his point is relevant. In those conditions the problem of bow kites released to a front line or to a lesser extent a back line, is a big problem. The kite can still have enough power when flagged in these circumstances to be dangerous and you may need to immediately release the leash Q/R.

Bow kites may be good up to their wind limit, but take them beyond it and they may not be so good when you have to go to the safety. I think the Cabrinha IDS is an important step forwards in that respect.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:54 am

ronnie wrote:The first correct decision in those circumstances would be not to go out.

Experimental Player often spouts his anti-bow stuff just for the sake of it. He does not express himself maturely, but on this occasion I think his point is relevant. In those conditions the problem of bow kites released to a front line or to a lesser extent a back line, is a big problem. The kite can still have enough power when flagged in these circumstances to be dangerous and you may need to immediately release the leash Q/R.

Bow kites may be good up to their wind limit, but take them beyond it and they may not be so good when you have to go to the safety. I think the Cabrinha IDS is an important step forwards in that respect.
I've never experienced that my bowkites, when released to a frontline, have any pull. No experience with a back line...

Return to “Kitesurfing”