Naish Shockwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: ocean rodeo mako vs. nobile 666 opinions please

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:36 am

I have tried a 666 and saw a Mako

my freind PBMan has issues with screws going thru the
666 and getting lost alog with the fin

I am wondering how the super concave board
performs the surface handle pass?......anybody?

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:51 am

Surface HP is super easy with a mako. as soon as you flatten the board out you can spin it more easily than a regular twintip with 4 fins. For HP using pop, a freestyle board like the 666 or zen or whatever would be my choice though.

leoaraka
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one Badit 8 12m
Waroo 2007 13m
Waroo 2007 9m
Fone Trax 2013

Postby leoaraka » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:53 am

I tried the 666 and didn't liked. Is a great board with the best pop ever, but it does nose dive to easily for me. I'm looking for a more all around and comfortable board. That's why I would like to have some input regarding Mako 150w, 555 and underground.

Anyone can help?

akf

Postby akf » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:55 am

I personally love the Mako 150 wide. It has been an excellent board to learn with and I recommend it to people of all skill levels. I attribute my quick learning curve (this year) to the Mako. The surf feel of it is so much fun. Plus, I have had 3 knee surgeries due to wakeboarding and snowboarding but can seem to really dominate the chop. Quite cush.

So much fun...I try to get as many people to try it as possible. Not one negative comment in response. You should get your hands on one - you will not regret it...

thaswisskid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: f*** face
Favorite Beaches: n/a
Gear: asfadfvwsadfc

Postby thaswisskid » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:18 am

I own a mako pro (my only board). When I tried my friends 666 I loved it, it allows you to ride much more agressively, hold much more edge had has insane pop compared to the mako, only thing was I couldn't ride it over an hour becuse the foot straps where killing my feet. Long story short "rodeoclown" is right test them both as well as the nobile 555 and any other board if you can before buying. If you can't you should have enought info to buy right.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Frankieboy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:47 pm

I own a Mako wide 150x40 and a LF Recoil Comp 137x41.
The Mako is my high wind board, comfortable in chops, great in waves etc. But it DOESN'T start as early and go upwind as the LF which became my light wind and flat water board.

The Mako board has a high rocker and round tips (and outline).
So you will not have the same lowend, upwind ability and pop of a board like the Recoil comp or the 666 or many other "freestyle" boards on the market.

Even if you read the opposite in this post (pimping in the air),on this forum and in the adds etc, a banana rocker will NOT rocket upwind and will not start early. It is not made for it. And the 666 will never carve like the Mako.

So just define you program and pick the right tool. Or buy both boards, they are complementary IMO

Frank

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:36 am

Frankieboy is the man :surf: !

jl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Island view Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Favorite Beaches: Gordons beach Sooke Vancouver Island Nitinat lake
Style: freestyle
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise

Postby jl » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:58 pm

@ 49 I love my MAKO wide for it's forgiving ride & performance ... The wide is not a 'banana' , it has a rocker line that gets it going in the lulls yet is loose in the gusts ... When you ride it flat on waves/swells it's very 'surfy' ... I'm a big fan ... 8)

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: slingshot, flysurfer, switch, ocean rodeo

Postby papasmerf » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:03 pm

ok, i guess it is time for me, a guy who owns a 666 132 and a mako wide 150, to chime in here. i also have a nobile shinn 130

i bring both the 666 and the wide to the beach. the 666 will save the day in light wind. it is my flat water/light wind board. for a 132, it kills the light wind. it also kills my knees after a while when it gets choppy but the pop is amazing. i can generally jump higher with the 666 on flat water in light wind. i think the 666 is like a competition board, to keep you in the box by railing upwind and then doing tricks that need a ton of pop.

However, much like my professional male-model career, my PKRA career is also over,,,,, so i will take the High Performance Ultra-User Friendly Mako Wide.

as soon as it gets windy enough, i jump on my mako wide as soon as i can and never look back. i can jump almost as high, actually jumps higher when the water is rougher cause i can edge better. i can ride for hours without getting tired, and it carves and handles the chop so nice. there is no top end on this board.

i could make it work in close to the same light wind as the 666 but it is not quite as efficient for light wind as the 666 is so since i have it with me, i might as well use it. I did buy the 666 quite a while back, before i discovered the best board on the planet, The Mako Wide. i can't sell the 666 for what i paid for it, so i'm going to keep it. it has it's place and uses.

if i had to pick only one board to have, it would be the mako wide, hands down. if i travel and can only bring one board, it will be the new mako wide 140 (which i should have in a couple of weeks). if i didn't have that, then i would bring the 150.

of course, i don't have to pick because i bring both with me.

this year i went on a trip and didn't bring any kite gear. but a gracious friend loaned me a waroo and a mako wide. that mako wide saved the day.

i love that board.

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:23 pm

Hey Papasmurf, interesting you mention the Shinn, today I rescued one (board, not Mark) and couldn't resist to take it for a ride (board, not Mark). Same planing, less aggressive, smoother through chop and easier to lose the rail than the 666.
Since you ride all 3, how does the Shinn (board, not Mark) fit in?

Return to “Kitesurfing”