Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Stop reporting kite accidents/ fatality??

Forum for kitesurfers
callaloo_kiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stavanger Norway =(Sola, Orre, Bore, Sele, X, Secret)
Grenada= Coral Cove, North Shore
Miami= Matheson Hammock, Bahia Honda, Crandon, The Flats
Favorite Beaches: Whichever beach I am on, as long as there is wind!

Bahia Honda for it beauty... South Padre Island for the great variety....Cabarete (Bozo Beach)and Crandon, Miami for the party scene:)
Style: Freestyle, waves!!!!
Gear: You kidding? Cabrinha of course!
Crossbows, Switchbaldes, S-Quad, Custom 128
Brand Affiliation: Not affiliated but absolutely infatuated with Cabrinha gear anyhow:)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Stop reporting kite accidents/ fatality??

Postby callaloo_kiter » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Afflatus;

Please stop the following…
1) personal attacks against others on this forum (Rick I. in particular)
2) the continual criticizing, bitching, and general complaining about other individual’s suggestions on improving the PUBLIC PERCEPTION of our sport UNLESS you provide some other viable suggestions.
3) the continual criticizing, bitching, and general complaining about other individual’s suggestions on improving the SAFETYASPECTS of our sport UNLESS you provide some other viable suggestions/ alternatives.

It is easy to sit back and tear other people’s efforts, and contributions to shreds. It takes a whole lot more effort to actually make meaningful suggestions. Something which I have yet to see you do in all your numerous postings.

Give us and yourself a break and drop the negativity and the generally destructive approach you have. Whatever personal or professional beef you have with Rick it has no place on this forum. That is my personal opinion; however I believe I am part of the silent majority who share this perception.

No malice intended just open honest feedback..

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:31 pm

First off the press coverage mostly exists when the incident is on tape and published publicly and or filmed by a local news film crew. Forum posts about "Johny noob ebay boy lofted himself in a public park with a 20m C kite." don't make the news.

The difference between out sport and most other crazy darwinian selection events is that we do it on the beach. The beach is not like a groomed and chair lifted mountain or a mountain back away from civilization. It is not the back country. Ski locations you are sharing the area with other ski or ski like people. They have chosen to share in danger with others. We have to share space with ditsy teen girls that are drawn to the area down wind of your kite like moths to the flame. Or maybe I'm the only person with that problem. Back to my point. The safty or age or profitablity of the sport dosn't make it more prone to geting outlawed. The precived danger to the public can get it banned.

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby afflatus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:56 pm

Na,

Rick and I have a dialog, we're civil, and I'm sincere enough to be frank with him so

don't accuse me of personal attacks, I confront the ideas and concepts with a mind to refining perceptions...

I'm just not a "it's all good, and kudos on the beach jump" sort of guy...

Listen,

Try confronting me on kite surf topics yourself, if you thinking I'm getting the best of rick...

I'm here for you too...

bring it, let's talk kiting safety v. kiting promotion,

that's what we're discussing, please do join in...

speak on rick's behalf if you feel him so disadvantaged, I don't care who I dialog with.

........pretend they're your ideas, I'm easy.......

Best Regards
fo

callaloo_kiter wrote:Afflatus;

Please stop the following…
1) personal attacks against others on this forum (Rick I. in particular)
2) the continual criticizing, bitching, and general complaining about other individual’s suggestions on improving the PUBLIC PERCEPTION of our sport UNLESS you provide some other viable suggestions.
3) the continual criticizing, bitching, and general complaining about other individual’s suggestions on improving the SAFETYASPECTS of our sport UNLESS you provide some other viable suggestions/ alternatives.

It is easy to sit back and tear other people’s efforts, and contributions to shreds. It takes a whole lot more effort to actually make meaningful suggestions. Something which I have yet to see you do in all your numerous postings.

Give us and yourself a break and drop the negativity and the generally destructive approach you have. Whatever personal or professional beef you have with Rick it has no place on this forum. That is my personal opinion; however I believe I am part of the silent majority who share this perception.

No malice intended just open honest feedback..

Westwaves
Rare Poster
Style: My own in waves mainly
Gear: Surfboard ,and various kites

Postby Westwaves » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:16 pm

afflatus wrote:Na,

1/ don't accuse me of personal attacks, I confront the ideas and concepts with a mind to refining perceptions...

2/ Try confronting me on kite surf topics yourself, if you thinking I'm getting the best of rick...

I'm here for you too...
What He means;

1/ I'm into mind control, everyone has to think like me.

2/ I need you to interact with so I can experiment on you all.

:lol:

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:26 pm

Nice,

wink, Moo Wah ha, ha ha ha ............

I'd substitute will think, for has to think, though....

I am I after all...

good one..proud of ya..

Westwaves wrote:
afflatus wrote:Na,

1/ don't accuse me of personal attacks, I confront the ideas and concepts with a mind to refining perceptions...

2/ Try confronting me on kite surf topics yourself, if you thinking I'm getting the best of rick...

I'm here for you too...
What He means;

1/ I'm into mind control, everyone has to think like me.

2/ I need you to interact with so I can experiment on you all.

:lol:

Westwaves
Rare Poster
Style: My own in waves mainly
Gear: Surfboard ,and various kites

Postby Westwaves » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:06 pm

afflatus wrote:Nice,

wink, Moo Wah ha, ha ha ha ............

I'd substitute will for has though....

I am I after all...

good one..proud of ya..
I'm so grateful that I've met with your approval on only our first encounter...

Can't tell you what that means to me :remybussi:

:wink: :wink:

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Fo Bro :thumb:
Give it to them the BS needs fertilization.

Couple of my friends who posted real accident reports here in the past
they were deleted or some parts were deleted.
They told me it happened for the manipulation of the real reference,
to twist and fool the lawyers so they could win the case without the true evidences.
Also they were probably done for somebody else's sugestion,
because of money, race or feeling of discrimination when the sh!t for brain got invalved.

WTF is this double standard then :?:
Maybe "Stop reporting kite accidents/ fatality??" has a point........ haha :bye:

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:25 am

ryuu wrote:Two things ....

As a noob I learn from VALID information that is presented about how to avoid problems.

Also as a noob I still have a "general public" view. Most other sports listed DON'T put innocent families at risk. surfers, snowboarders, dirtbikes, quads, etc. are contained in a limited area without risking innocent people. When I take my family to a ski resort I expect that we should look out for skiers and boarders on the mountain. When I take my family to the beach we should NOT
have to look out for kiteboarders.

Um. Show me the stats of bystanders getting hurt?? Not saying there isn't a risk but worldwide there have been very few incidents ( that I know of) where people other than the kiter himself have been injured. This is the point of view that has to change if kiting wants to move forward.

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:49 am

I don't think it's about innocents getting hurt so much as....

The innocent being divided into two groups....

those that like to watch the d-wads push their luck as close as they can get to the beach, unaware that it could go bad for them too if they break a line, lose control, hook a snag, get hit by a puff etc...the list is long.

And the second group, that want to enjoy the peace and quiet, the gently lapping waves, and have their kids play in the sand without the worry of the kiter fucking up a launch, or just cutting the heads off their kids...as he dives to water start..

one kite, not only take as much room as twenty family blankets, they represent a great deal of potential energy...

Some people are just freaked by the size and scope of the scene...

can't blame them, the beach has been for sunbathing families and sand pails since the late1890s...

surfers are different, they go out side the break and just sit there..

one or two, maybe 5 seconds of riding and back outside, everyone of them has their board leashed..etc

a nonthreatening aspect.

loop a kite over the beach and the sound alone would scare anyone with a modicum of sense

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:52 am

deltawake wrote:Um. Show me the stats of bystanders getting hurt?? Not saying there isn't a risk but worldwide there have been very few incidents ( that I know of) where people other than the kiter himself have been injured. This is the point of view that has to change if kiting wants to move forward.

That is EXACTLY correct - there have been far more bystanders RESCUED by kitesurfers than injured by them. No bystander has ever been killed, several swimmers sucked out by riptides have been rescued. (It has even happened at my local beach, although we weren't riding so it was a swim rescue rather than a kite rescue - but I didn't see any non-kiters jumping in.)

The sport has some risks for the riders, those risks increase exponentially in bad conditions, but in normal circumstances, bystanders aren't in nearly as much danger as most people think. It's far more likely that someone at the beach will have their kids rescued by a kiter than hurt by one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”