Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Crash: Stretched Tendons, Intercostal Muscles

forum for kitesurfers

steve_t
Medium Poster

Crash: Stretched Tendons, Intercostal Muscles

Postby steve_t » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:54 am

Hooked-in kiteloop gone wrong, 25-30 knots, 7 metre C kite. My bad for looping it a bit too soon, so didn't quite catch me on descent...

Anyways, the crash impact was pretty intense, basically the kite pulling one way and me flying the other. My (waist) harness was yanked super hard laterally; thought I had broken ribs from the spreader bar riding up. Couple of days passed since, felt like a knife cutting into my ribs every time I moved. Pretty painful.

Went to the doc yesterday, described the accident, and also mentioned that when I lay flat there's a (painful) "click" in the rib section, and when getting up another (also painful) "click". I can feel something moving around, wasn't sure what it was.

Verdict: the tendons connecting the intercostal muscles to the rib cage are stretched, so the muscles are moving around the rib area. This, because of a severe/sudden lateral pull, the harness gripped and displaced the intercostals upon impact, stretching the tendons. 2 weeks until pain goes away, 6 weeks recovery. Yay (not). The good news is doc said I can do sports etc., provided I don't have the same type of accident. Well, this is definitely an accident that could happen again. Nah, I'll just sit out the kiting for a bit. Or, an even better excuse to focus exclusively on unhooked tricks, so no harness impact :-)

Not quite sure what to make of this one...the harness was on tight, on top of a 4 mm wetsuit. Maybe it's better to have a looser fit so it can slide a bit under a violent tug?

Might have to try a seat harness for a while, not my preference. But for sure, with a seat harness this type of accident would not have happened.

Wasn't even my main harness...it was a back-up I had laying around, 2007 model. This, since my 2008 harness stitching blew out (also because of a kiteloop), and is in the shop for warranty service.

Funny retrospection: after the wipe-out, I was in real pain, just wanted to get the hell out of that harness. Alas, the torture was meant to continue! First had to body-drag to fetch my board, all the while with my harness digging in hard right on the injury - that was the worst lol!

Oh well. Hopefully this will give a heads-up to others out there, of what could happen with this type of accident.

Ride on.

Skyway Scott

Re: Crash: Stretched Tendons, Intercostal Muscles

Postby Skyway Scott » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:21 am

That sucks. I hope you get better soon. I botch megaloops all the time.
I personally like my harness as tight as possible. When it is loose and rides up on those botched big loops is when I feel like my rib cage is in danger. Just me and my body type. Others may be different.
Heal up soon.

kite_n_rnd
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Sherman Island, Folsom Lake
Favorite Beaches: LaVentana, El Sargento hot springs
Style: freeride
Gear: GK Sonic, Underground FLX 28
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kite_n_rnd » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:59 am

steve_t,

I screwed up my intercostal tendons almost 2 years ago. For me, it took almost
a year to heal to the point where I could go to the gym and do lat pulldowns without my
ribs hurting. I hurt it using a seat harness. I was learning to jump, and ended up
high, under the kite, with the kite losing all power and me falling on my back like a rock.
I was even wearing a vest, but it was stiff foam, with a big cutout under the arms. I've sinced
changed to a different vest, and switched to a waist/seat harness which offers more mobility
and keeps my kower back in place because it has more support higher up my back.

I've recently re-injured my ribs doing something else stupid on the water. The recovery this
time was shorter. Anyway, I hope you have a vey quick recovery.. I was back on the water the week after I got injured, just took it easy for a while...

Neill
Frequent Poster

Postby Neill » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:21 am

hate to tell you man, but your doctor probably doesn't know shit

firstly, the intercostals don't have tendons - they fuse through the periosteum onto the rib surface and are connected by a fibrous attachment

secondly, you have probably hurt them, so he's partially right

thirdly, you may have cracked a rib or two. one may even be subluxed at the costo-vertebral joint, causing the clicking you mention. i would be requesting a chest X-ray to make sure, either way, as it will change the way you manage the injury in the next 6-8 weeks.

steve_t
Medium Poster

Postby steve_t » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:51 pm

kite_n_rnd - I hurt myself in the front rib area, so maybe that's different from your injury?

Niall - by the sounds of it, the fibruous attachment is what might have stretched/ripped? But I do recall the doc using those words of "tendons/ligaments" for that area..hmmmm.

Well in any event, it's been 3 days now since the incident, feel a whole lot better. Still sore, with the occasional "knife in the ribs" feeling, but much less than the first day. Oh well, still more rest....and some light exercise.

Cvaradero
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Varadero Town
Pond Road beach NL, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Varadero, Cuba
Pond Road Beach, NL, Canada,
Style: Wake-style/Freestyle/Surf
Gear: OR

Postby Cvaradero » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:04 pm

oh man steve, that is a bad one. something similar happened to me, i felt the knife in the ribs for a long time, i couldn't even laugh or smile because somehow it made me feel the pain. i was 5 months like that, then i started going out in the water again, and all the hits ended somehow in the ribs. just take it easy now, lots of rest for you and i hope you can recover fast with no major troubles. ps (according to doctor i just craked 2 ribs, he said it wasnt broken)

cheers, saludos
charley

Bishop
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Tramore, Ireland
Gear: North, Flexifoil

Postby Bishop » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:12 pm

Well, I have these days the same injury. It happened to me 7 weeks ago and I'm still not well. After 4 weeks I started with seat harness and it's possible to kite, but without jumps :-?

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:06 pm

To everybody with this kind of injury,

I usually dont like to send people to chiropractors, this is one of those rare moments when a few visits to a chiro will dramatcially improve recovering rates and improve liklihood of it never happening again.

If you dont reset ribs properly they will heal real slow and be screwed again real easy. I spent two years with slow recoverys and reinjurys happening every 4-6 months. Discovered a chiro who suggested rib adjustments and voila! recovery was solid in two-three weeks. Popped it out 6-9 months later, a few more adjustments recovery again in less than two weeks and has been rock solid ever since (4 years)

choose your chiro wisely, a lot of them are charletons and snakes. ASK them if they will DIRECTLY adjust a rib head and surrounding area only. Dont let them talk you into anything that isnt related to the injury, and you'll know when its not.
Last edited by scklandl on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:10 pm

. as far as future loops goes... move to a impact vest/ harness combo (Id hate to see what happenz to someone botching a megaloop in a seat harness. nuts the size of coconauts!!)

and avoid riding in bindings if you go back to a waist. even little falls can really create a massive yank on your harness when your body is stopped cold by the board.

But all my rib injuries were before I was a solid rider and I HAVE HAMMERED my ribs since, and they have been solid, so I think your doctors wrong about never being able to handle this type of injury again.

last weeek I was out throwing loops and I was having a riding in bindings obssession at the time, I botched three powerful loops with my board stopping me cold each time, my harness around my neck, and unable to breath because all the air was outta my lungs. If ever there was a time that I would reinjury my ribs due to a weakness from prior injury it was right then .

Mikell
Medium Poster

Postby Mikell » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:33 pm

Had a similar injury (not from such an insane move though :o ) with a bit of a cracked end of a rib right where the cartilaginous part starts. It was pretty much OK after 2 months, but after that it still kept hurting somewhat under heavier loads e.g. in the gym, situps etc. sometimes kiting ... It took about one year for the pain to really disappear completely and 100%.

Return to “Kitesurfing”