Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North 5th line kite wrap

forum for kitesurfers

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

North 5th line kite wrap

Postby SpaceRacer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:08 am

Does this happen often? Does it happen at all? Can it cut the kite? Is it hard to get undone? How do you do it? Why doesn't North put a grenade pin to quick release the 5th if you cannot get it undone? Seriously looking at the North Rebel but this haunts me.

thaswisskid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fuck face
Favorite Beaches: n/a
Gear: asfadfvwsadfc
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North 5th line kite wrap

Postby thaswisskid » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:38 am

It use to happen on my 05 Vegas, usally when I would jump and not bring the kite back because of a spin or something, probably because I sucked. :rollgrin: Anyway I don't remember undoing it without swimming in. I'm now on a 4 liner SLE, I probably would go back to 4 or 5 line C kites if I had the cash but I would not go to a five line bow. They are probably the safest but not worth the hassle for me.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby panchito » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:20 am

SpaceRacer wrote: Does this happen often? Yes
Does it happen at all? Yes
Can it cut the kite? oh Yes
Is it hard to get undone? Once is wrapped is over , you better swim back shore
How do you do it? Just don´t loose tension on the 5th line
Why doesn't North put a grenade pin to quick release the 5th if you cannot get it undone? No need for that if you know how to handle it , the biggest and most common error have seen is 1) releasing the QR when the kite is to high ( 12 o´clock ) 2) same but in super gusty winds 3) missed trick and the 5th line looses tension and leash attached suicide style

Seriously looking at the North Rebel but this haunts me.
Intermediate & Advanced kiters don´t really have these issues since when the kite crashes they normally grab the 5th line and pull all the way they can ... kite de-powers on the 5th line and the re-launch works in no time... cuestion of practice I would say.

And by the way ..... the Rebel ( we tried it out ) on 4 lines flies like shit and if the wind is gusty forget about getting back to shore with that kite flying ....

Saludos

baller
Frequent Poster

Postby baller » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:00 pm

You should tune your 5th line by fixing the stopper ball at a length that gives adequate depower, but doesn't allow the kite to fall completely onto its back. That way you get massive depower, but the kite can't roll and is instantly ready for relaunch.

PM me once you get your rebel and I can help you.

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:Does this happen often? It's not uncommon, but in 5 years on North 5th line kites it only happened a handful of times. Normally if i drop the kite and ride towards its, it will roll on itself .Does it happen at all? Yes it doesCan it cut the kite? Yes in a few cases, normally if the kite gets rolled in waves
Is it hard to get undone? Most of the time the 5th line will slip off the canopy, then you can relaunch and if the lines are crossed then ride in land and sort them out.. How do you do it? If your in your depth you can walk towards the kite and take some tension out of the lines, the 5th might slip off then. Why doesn't North put a grenade pin to quick release the 5th if you cannot get it undone? dunno
Seriously looking at the North Rebel but this haunts me.
As I said I have been riding North 5 line kites for 5 years, Rhino's, Rebels, Veags's and I have not had a kite rip due to the 5th line wrap. I drop my kite quite alot too trying stuff so the simple answer to your question is...

It happens but chances of it ripping your kite are fairly small.

You do get the added benifit of one of the best safety and reride systems on the market.

humandrive
Medium Poster

Postby humandrive » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:01 pm

When I was first learning to jump I had it wrap a few times but as I've learned to crash my kite better it doesn't seem to happen much any more.

I have relaunched a '06 Rhino with the 5'th wrapped around the kite and no damage was done (however I did throw the safety about as the kite hit the zenith)

I wish north had something similar to Slingshot's wave gernade. That thing has saved me before, drop the 5'th line, clip to the OSH, and ride back in.

Bishop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tramore, Ireland
Gear: North, Flexifoil

Postby Bishop » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:28 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:Can it cut the kite?
Yes ... I crashed my kite into the waves and here you go

Random
Frequent Poster

Postby Random » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:14 pm

I've had my fifth line wrap around my Vegas a number of times.

Most annoying :evil: I think the best thing you can do to minimize the risk of this happening is pump up the kite quite hard.

Also if it does wrap around, I find that unhooking and letting the kite go onto the fifth line can sometimes get it sorted out.

BBQFish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Holland
Favorite Beaches: Bergen, Cumbuco, Capetown, Maroochydore
Style: wave
Gear: North Rebel 2013 9m2 & 7m2
North Kontakt 6.0"

Postby BBQFish » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:13 am

That's a nice clean cut Bishop... :thumb:

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:49 pm

I am flying 5 lines north kites since they came out (5 kite generations so far... since 2005 models) and no wraps/cuts so far. :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”