How to self rescue....

Forum for kitesurfers
gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to self rescue....

Postby gonewiththewind » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:36 am

Most self-rescue techniques seem to be written with a classic single-line flagging safety in mind. What about a newer bow or hybrid-style leash setup, where an ejected kite is 90% depowered, but not flagged and still basically connected to all four lines via a leash that connects to the chicken loop or connects to a below-the-chicken-loop depower line (Naish, Ocean Rodeo). Can you leash your board to the chicken loop in this setup, and safely walk up one of the lines to get to the 90% depowered kite? Or do you need to grab the optional center-line safety instead and totally flag the kite before walking up that particular line to the kite?

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:23 am

gonewiththewind wrote:Most self-rescue techniques seem to be written with a classic single-line flagging safety in mind. What about a newer bow or hybrid-style leash setup, where an ejected kite is 90% depowered, but not flagged and still basically connected to all four lines via a leash that connects to the chicken loop or connects to a below-the-chicken-loop depower line (Naish, Ocean Rodeo). Can you leash your board to the chicken loop in this setup, and safely walk up one of the lines to get to the 90% depowered kite? Or do you need to grab the optional center-line safety instead and totally flag the kite before walking up that particular line to the kite?

On a bridled kite you need to go up one front line and take your board with you. If you leave the board at the bar it will dolphin and drag when you are trying to drag in.

Re winding up lines,,,,,,,,,,,it is very difficult to do in windy conditions or choppy water and you have a much higher chance of getting wrapped.

To wind up lines in wind you have to pull 10m of front line through the bar to flag the kite, then wind on the 10m first then the other lines.

When I was learning to kite I tried winding up lines once with a reride bar as above and the kite relaunched and as the leash line pulled through the bar it wrapped my arm and compound fractured my finger.

It is much safer to simply pull yourself down one front with out kicking your legs.

If the wind has died it might be worth wrapping the lines,,,,,,,,but if the wind has gone offshore or you have brocken something I wouldn't wind up the lines.
:thumb:

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby afflatus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:51 am

if you're going to the kite, grab both the lines that go to the one side...

depends where you tie onto your board, I had a little (none gated) clip on deck attached to the fin screw for this move..

ahh, you keep up wind of the lines, and never ever kick your legs...

and I use the c-loop, so if I changed my mind I still had clear lines...

Then again I also wear one of these Image

it can go bad, I'll say that again, it can go bad..

and you may find yourself in higher wind just watching the whole mess just flip flop away...relaunch, crash..relaunch...

Bye Bye...

25+ don't even consider it...

think it through, I've had the clip since 2001---first season idea.
Last edited by afflatus on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

t-bag
Rare Poster

Postby t-bag » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:56 am

Where did you get the swim belt?

T.

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:02 am

Stearn's makes them...

I bought the queer one, it comes in a manly cammo for another ten bucks though...

f*** that, I'll take it in pussy blue (it sets off my eye color so nicely)

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:05 am

Mr_Weetabix wrote:Is there an upside to winding the lines up as you move towards the kite? I was told to wind one (inside) line around the bar for about a kite-width, then wind all four lines round the bar. Makes a rat's nest of the lines, and takes a while - so what's the point? Reduces the risk of getting caught in the lines if the kite takes off...?
Yes, lines in the water are like snakes.
they can hurt you or kill you.
They can also foul the prop on a rescue craft, tangle in another kiter, reel in 85 lbs. of weeds, or even strangle a turtle. :o
Save the turtles- wind your lines! :wink:
BTW, wind them(figure 8) end to end on the bar (like normal) its much easier to untangle.

If you wind up the lines neatly, unwind them on the beach and pull the one line equal to the others,then you can walk them out normally.
Practice it before you need it. :thumb:

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:34 am

watch where water current move with lines or wind blow lines moves , before avoid getting wrap with that

kiterMD
Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 2006 North Vegas 16m, 9m
2006 North Rhino 12m
2007 Flexi Ion2 14.5m
2006 LF Element 140, 2007 Escalades

Postby kiterMD » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:12 pm

Loose lines can tangle you if anything goes less than perfect while dragging in. It's worth it to take a few extra minutes and wrap the lines.
-Flag the kite to one line (5th or center) and wrap that one line on the back of the bar.
-Then wrap all lines on the bar, sometimes it's easier to wrap a figure 8 around the bar, not the bar ends. You can sort the tangles out later on dry land.
-I like to disconnect one side of the lines from the kite, so if a wave catches it, it won't rip in half.
-Then, like said above, fold a wingtip over and work down the LE to the other wingtip.
-Sail in.

Of course, if all lines are still connected and not snapped, you should try to relaunch.
And if the leading edge is blown, roll the kite up (struts inflated) and swim it in.

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:25 pm

I was out yesterday and the wind died. I swam the big boy in. Rather than wrap the lines, I just throw the bar and lines on top of the kite. I just pull the lines in till I have a big rats nest on top of the kite, then start swimming. Only took about a half hour...

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Here is a link to a recent thread on Best kiteforum. You should read this to become familiar with the current thoughts on the two major self-rescue techniques. Then, you should take a lesson from a certified instructor. Ask the instructor the questions that are raised in this thread:

http://forum.bestkiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?t=6877

If you want a complete list of the threads dealing with self-rescue, then, do a search on Kiteforum using the key word: "self rescue" and author "kitezilla". I have been involved in most of the discussions here for the last 5 years or so. There is a lot to consider and practice, before you will become competent at self-rescue.

Return to “Kitesurfing”