Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Nobody Buys C-Kites?

Postby simonm » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:52 am

Haven't tried the Kimas yet although I am quite looking forward to having a go. Reports do sound good. I have ridden the Bandits and Nanos a fair bit and still felt they were lacking for what I like.

I guess for me there are a definitive set of criteria that I have built up over time of things that I want in a wave kite. I like riding quite short lines (usually around 15m). I find that this helps in minimising the window and allows more turns to be put in on the wave when parking is not favourable. It also lets you tack upwind a bit further than when using longer lines. I like the turning characteristics of a pulley bar (ie pulling opposing front and rear lines to torque the kite). Makes for very fast turning on small, simple bar. I always ride unhooked so depower is never really an issue anyhow (luckily our winds are pretty stable). Finally, I definately prefer the boot of power that you can generate when working a C. I haven't ridden a sle or delta that has really covered this yet, however there are a lot off kites out there at the moment and one may already have bridged this gap.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:12 am

Simonm, it will interesting to see how you find the kima's, especially the 6m.

I remember from past threads that you and I used fuels on short lines in the past.

My favorite wave kite was the 8m octane from 06, until I tried the 6m kima.

What we want to do on waves sounds similar, though the conditions I ride in most, don't really suit unhooking.

I used to find the 5m Diesel to on and off for gusty 15>>>35 knt wind, but the 6m Kima will get me upwind in 15knts, and handle 35knts as well.

So give the 6m Kima a try.
I know Felix is riding one on a fixed bar, unhooked , and it seems to be working in 15>>30 knts for him.

But hey , if you still prefer generators, so what ? that's the beauty of this sport, so much to choose from. :thumb:

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:27 am

Some photos from Crissy today - 2009, 10m Diablo, in " old school " four line mode, Nothing hybrid at all about this C. :evil:

Ships with five line bar, easily convertible to 4 for the core.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:49 pm

Beautiful shots!!

eag
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby eag » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:05 am

I got a chance to ride that 10m Diablo yesterday. That's me in those pics.

It's been quite a while since I've been on a true C and I was pretty surprised at how comfortable it felt, even in Crissy's funky winds. It was a nice change after being on an SLE for so long. I rode it in 4 line mode, so it was a pretty simple "old school" set up with no clutter at the bar. The chicken dick had even been removed from the huge loop.

It handled the gusts really well and didn't yank me around much at all. You could ride it every day at Crissy and be happy, but the Rise is better in the gusts. Power was nice and consistent all the way through turns and loops, that sensation is missing from even the best SLEs. It pivots nicely and pulls strong when looped. Nice unhooked with good slack and not the crazy pull from unhooking my Rise. It's also fun to just let go of the bar and keep most of your power, there is only about 10" or 12" of bar throw.

Definitely not the same power per meter that I'm used to, felt about a size smaller than the Rise. Relaunch is something that I don't miss about C kites. In 4 line it took a stroke or 2 of swimming to get it to roll back and take off. With a little practice it wasn't bad, and since I the Diablo inspired some more aggressive riding I got to practice 6 or 7 times.

10m would be good in the quiver for those freestyle days, SLEs just aren't the same.

Habi
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Puerto Rico
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: Kite Banging

Postby Habi » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:05 am

My first kite was a C-kite the SS Diesel , I had a 9m and 11m , I been flying Nemesis HP, Helix , Cult , Torch , Smoke , Yarga , Switchblade , Generator , HiFi , Havoc and so on , all of them fly obviously , but if you don't get the proper trim and /or setting you won't get any juice!!! you can't pretend to become in ex. like Lenten because you buy a Fuel or Pete if you go Switchblade.... !!! Any kite will help you to progress with practice .... :allbegood:

Doesn't matter what kite you fly or like, what matter is your abilities and skills to perform in any kite under any conditions .

BBQFish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Holland
Favorite Beaches: Bergen, Cumbuco, Capetown, Maroochydore
Style: wave
Gear: North Rebel 2013 9m2 & 7m2
North Kontakt 6.0"

Postby BBQFish » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 am

I'm currently on Rebels now.
But really thinking about switching to Torch for the waves.
Don't like the loss of speed in the turns to much as i'm riding sloppy 3m high (max) waves.
Also like to boost high every once in a while, so think the Torches will make me happy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”