Forum for kitesurfers
kitenprod
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nobody Buys C-Kites?

Postby kitenprod » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:42 am

Hi guys.

It is true that C kite aren't selling as much as bow or SLE . why ? because most of the people aren't doing any wakestyle or handle passes.

A C kite is perfect for any riders that want to unhook, pass the bar or just like the feeling of a C kite. If you don't any any of this an SLE and bow will fit you more.
We see a lot of riders coming back to see kite because they want to start to do their first handle passes.

I have been working a lot on the diablo C kite this year with ross the ocean rodeo designer and I can tell you that the ocean rodeo DIABLO is one of the C kite on the first line as the fuel and torch, etc ... without any questions.

Here in cumbuco I have been trying fuels and torch to make my own idea about the kites, the fuel and the torch are all 3 different kite with all their pro and cons.

The good thing about the diablo and most of C kite is the good slack in the line you will get after any pop jump allowing you to pass the bar easier for an handle pass. the bow or sle will keep pulling and the bar will be harder to pass.
Many riders still do handle passes on sle and bow, it is just more difficult.

I just received 2x 10m sample kite of the 2009 diablo.
We worked a lot on the kite this year reducing struts and LE diameter for a better profile and lift.
I tried the kite for the first time today but the wind was a bit light.
both of the 10 are different and we know exactly now what we need for production.
That was the goal take more time to produce the kite instead of rushing production and do a kite without testing it seriously.

The new diablo climbs fast after the loop and turns very very fast.
the bar pressure is just what the rider needs to feel the kite and not get any tennis elbow.

I am in cumbuco and we have quiet a few C kite very good riders on other C kites from different brands .
I will let them try the Ocean rodeo diablo 2009 sample and hear their feedback and try to know what people are looking for .
Some of them already tried the 2008 and really liked it.

I can already tell you that the kites are great and all freestyle riders out there should start looking into this diablo C kite.

I already posted few videos of the previous diablos on kiteforum.tv .

But if you wanna see the kite in action you can always have a look at www.freestyle-dvd.com featuring the diablo 2008 !

C kite, Bow kite, SLE, Delta,etc ... the most important is to have fun in the water no matter what kind of kite you use.
it depends of your riding style.

And most of the time it is the rider and not the kite that mater.

We hopefully are going to make some noise with the new diablo this year.

See ya around

Jeremie

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:53 am

balance wrote:I rode c kites untill 08 and then i have a WAROO wich i think is a great overall kite.
All the pros prefer C´s and i think those kites are better to high level kiters. Specially if you unhook. They are also great in small sizes to surf cause they pull more and tighter when you loop them and launch down the line.

But the truth is, as i heard C´s are selling very bad. Lets say 5% of a brand total. This requires r %d, testers, samples-protos. I gues in the end they dont make money out of them. If they hold them is only for brand image and to suply to the beach opinion leaders that ride unhook with good level.

I heard most of the companies are gonna stop c kites for 2010 (just rumor)
I do like them both and i think we should try to get them to stay with us. Even knowing that bows and deltas are also a great choice.
Well Here in Europe, we have about 20-30 % on C kites. Thats is what have kept North-Naish-Slingshot in the game the last 2 years if you ask me.

Companies like North-Naish-SS make money on their C`s, they take the same % home on those, as on the SLE/Delta etc.

Companies like Best that haven't had a descent C kite on the market in years, if ever? off course don't have any desire in the C kite market to go up again.
When they did enter the market, they where very cheap C kites, and made a ton off reputation on making a descent C kite, for half the price.

Today it takes allot to catch up whit North-Naish-Slingshot on the C kite market. One thing is to make a good 10m, but we all remember the 2005 Torch 8m, 2006 R6 7m, 2007 V7 and even the 2008 Fuel 9 wasn't up for the job...

Here 2008 sales off Best has gone down BIG time.. From being one off the biggest representives in 2006-2007, there just aint sold as many more where the prices have gone up, and they dont have anything for all the better riders that are trying their way whit the new C kites.

SLE kites have found their place in the market, and will IMHO continue to dominate sales. But there will always be room for a few brands making "performance kites" over anything else.... But most likely not more than 2-4 brands that can make money out off it.

nj kiter
Medium Poster

Postby nj kiter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:19 am

no one buys cs i do and if that makes me crazy so be it bring on o9 cs that what i say

fkb
Medium Poster

Postby fkb » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:13 am

Well, I dunno. I had a bunch of 04 and 05 best Yargas and loved them... but I needed 2 or 3 kites pumped up on gusty days, so I switched to a 12M waroo instead. Then when I started doing kite loops a couple of years ago I realized how bad they sucked at freestyle. I planned to buy something else and ditch best (especially because their boards sucked too), but then I rode an 08 9m waroo. That kite is more of a hybrid than a bow kite, and it's one of the best kites I've ever ridden. Mega loops in 30+ are sick, unhooked is clean and smooth, and the thing builds so much apparent wind I can ride it from 15mph - 35mph @ 185lbs on a 129x40 cm board no problem. If I can stay up wind, I can jump easily.

It's practically a one kite quiver.

There is only one problem with it... it's a little fast for wake style tricks like handle passes, etc. It'll loop before you can say F@#$.

I rode a buddy's 08 Fuel and I can say I was impressed, but not impressed enough (yet) to switch back to C kites. It just didn't jump very good and there was a big delay as the kite slide back in the window when I sent it. Gusty conditions made it a headache to ride since the wind range was a bit narrower.

I am not counting C's out though... I haven't ridden the 09 fuels but I have heard a lot of good things about them.

There are many reasons to choose either type of kite... conditions, style, favorite tricks, etc.

But I would not call C kites dead by any stretch. I am still open to a fuel if I find they are better for where I am heading.

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:57 am

fkb,,, im sure you know,, but the timing of jump on a C is so different than that of your waroo. you have to really fly the kite (set it up for the jump). very different from just pulling the bar. that's part of the fun. even if you used to ride Cs it would take a few sessions to get it right again. could also be that your lines were to long. id never go longer than 22m anymore.. the waroo will out float your typical C tho.

re> needing multiple kites pumped up on the beach for gusty conditions. could be. i'm thinking more and more kiters will have a couple of boards on the beach. when the wind lets up, you grab your skim or thruster. that's a trend that's happening.

the trend towards keeping it simple has been happening all over actions sports; strapless snow boards, one speed mountain bikes, one speed road bikes, simple and clean and not to techy.. etc. Cs are part of the keep it simple trend.

i come from a surfing background. ive been slowly heading towards tiny 4 line C kites on simple bars with strapless surf boards... went this way thanks partly to a few posters (you know who you are) on this forum (as no one on our beaches surfs this way yet). i started with limiting the throw on my SS bar and really tweaking it for unhooked riding,, getting bigger chicken-loops, losing the donkey dick,, going smaller and smaller on my kite,, unhooking on the wave,, crashing a lot. my buds around me did/do not get it. dinners after sessions were/are always a good natured laugh at my expense.. understandably, as i crashed A LOT. the last down-winder we did i chose a 5m (08 fuel) while everyone else was hooked in on 9s (bows/sles). ive had fun from day one, but now my wave riding is smoother and more natural than it was when i first started unhooking (and flailing).. it's not like my surfing yet, but im feeling it. suddenly they're asking if they can give the kite a try. (as if it's the kite... 8) )

Random
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Random » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:11 am

fkb wrote:Gusty conditions made it a headache to ride since the wind range was a bit narrower.
I don't know about that - I've ridden my 12 Vegas in gusts up to 32knots (in March in the UK). It wasn't comfortable but it was doable as long as it was only gusts. I've had my 9 out in gusts up to 38 knots without touching the trimmer :o (that wasn't exactly comfortable either!)

That's depower for you!

Optimus_Angles

Postby Optimus_Angles » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:13 am

kitenprod wrote:
The new diablo climbs fast after the loop and turns very very fast.
the bar pressure is just what the rider needs to feel the kite and not get any tennis elbow.
This is not what freestyle C Kiters who use the Aaron Haldow Pro, Or Fuel want. A quick turning kite that turns fast is a feature that all the bows have. To be in the same line as above kites a smooth looping kite that turns in a big arc is needed.

My op's pedro

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:52 pm

Random: I second that!

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:11 pm

suRff wrote:fkb,,, im sure you know,, but the timing of jump on a C is so different than that of your waroo. you have to really fly the kite (set it up for the jump). very different from just pulling the bar. that's part of the fun. even if you used to ride Cs it would take a few sessions to get it right again. could also be that your lines were to long. id never go longer than 22m anymore.. the waroo will out float your typical C tho.

re> needing multiple kites pumped up on the beach for gusty conditions. could be. i'm thinking more and more kiters will have a couple of boards on the beach. when the wind lets up, you grab your skim or thruster. that's a trend that's happening.

the trend towards keeping it simple has been happening all over actions sports; strapless snow boards, one speed mountain bikes, one speed road bikes, simple and clean and not to techy.. etc. Cs are part of the keep it simple trend.

i come from a surfing background. ive been slowly heading towards tiny 4 line C kites on simple bars with strapless surf boards... went this way thanks partly to a few posters (you know who you are) on this forum (as no one on our beaches surfs this way yet). i started with limiting the throw on my SS bar and really tweaking it for unhooked riding,, getting bigger chicken-loops, losing the donkey dick,, going smaller and smaller on my kite,, unhooking on the wave,, crashing a lot. my buds around me did/do not get it. dinners after sessions were/are always a good natured laugh at my expense.. understandably, as i crashed A LOT. the last down-winder we did i chose a 5m (08 fuel) while everyone else was hooked in on 9s (bows/sles). ive had fun from day one, but now my wave riding is smoother and more natural than it was when i first started unhooking (and flailing).. it's not like my surfing yet, but im feeling it. suddenly they're asking if they can give the kite a try. (as if it's the kite... 8) )
I hear you I've been riding a 7.0 all summer,
pretty much given up on anything bigger.

Hein makes the Airush kites look pretty good
with a pulley bar and a hard loop
generating a lot power and off the hook DTL
Anyone else enjoying the Airush?

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Postby Freddy B » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:18 pm

I think the combination of a C or two and a Hybrid (the original Bows with pully's are crap) is what will make up people's quiver. I've tried a couple of the new hybrids, and they are very nice kites. They are mostly a breath of fresh air when it comes to getting riding early, and staying on the kite later. They have a lot of disposable power and depower, turn quickly and have a much better feel than the original bows with the pully systems.

That said, I have yet to be on a hybrid that will give me the same feel and response I get out of my favorite C kite (currently the Rhino 06 12m).

I am purchasing a Rhino 08 10m to try and have a one kite quiver due to it's range, but if it is a perfect day for it, the Rhino 06 12m will be lying right beside it on the beach. The 12m has always been my favorite size C kite, and when it is the right conditions, I will ride that. But given my conditions, I will likely start and end on my Rhino 08 Hybrid. In fact in my area, many people are going back to C kites for their smaller kites, and keeping the bigger Bows and hybrids as the kites that get them on the water first.

I think that is the way to go. For traveling that isn't absolutely kite related, I will be taking the one kite quiver in the Rhino 08. If I head to the DR or something, I will take the 06 Rhino as well.[kiteforumtv][/kiteforumtv]

Return to “Kitesurfing”