All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Not much happening nowadays on kiteforum ?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Is it just me, or has the kitesurfing sport been so developed and "known" - and so many different styles and kite types - that there is not much going on here, besides (often meaningless) religous discussions about what type to ride, or branding new products etc ?

Apart from the race boards, which are interesting at many points, although a niche maybe (and I am into waveriding myself, so...), it is mostly about C kites or Flat kites (and who gives a damn - there is a place for all types today, also foil kites), or strapless or strapped waveriding (and who gives a damn - there is a place for both types today) :wink:

I would love to see more photos or videos, as this is what could interest more (IMO) nowadays, where the kitesurfing itself is really quite well defined/established and not that many questions no more :D

It seems like the topics has changed a lot the past year or two, and not that much going on, because most of the "big lines" are common knowledge known amongst kitesurfers and/or distributors :thumb:

It is a good evolution of course, but it means something else is happening (or in reality not) on a forum nowadays 8)

What do you think ?

Kindly, Peter Frank

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Not much happening nowadays on kiteforum ?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:54 pm 
I use to post quite more often.
What do I think happened? (you asked). For me personally, I became annoyed with trying to have an honest discussion, only to have obvious pimps hop on the threads and say "try this sh..it... it's the best", pretty much all the time. It was the same ten or so guys all the time.
It became pointless after awhile to attempt to have honest conversation, the pimps stole the show.I If they didn't, Fo would trash the thread, so what's the point?
I quit wasting my time and just talk to people I know in person these days.

I do like seeing the vids and pics on here though. :bye:

P.S., I have always liked your posts PF. This one was really good. :thumb:

Peter_Frank wrote:
I have just the opposite experience - most are placing the rear strap way too far forward - this sucks :o
Works much better for beginners, who has no idea of how to put all the weight on the front foot (when they make the transition from TT to surfboard), but many beginners should learn without straps anyway, for getting into how a board works... :o

The rear strap is used for being able to put extreme pressure on the wave in the cutback, and for high aerials.

When too far forward, it has no purpose (IMO)...

The problem I see often, is the FRONT strap is way too far aft :(

I prefer a very wide stance when in both straps, this way I can distribute the pressure on either foot I want, or both :thumb:

No need for "walking" around on your board no more, if the front strap is positioned just in the "control" center of the board - everything can be done around this now :D

When the wind is light, and/or I want to glide without kitepower, I just put my rear foot just in front of the rear strap - and I have the perfect "surf"board now :thumb:

In fact you have an extremely good stance like this, and I ride very very often this way.
You can really push the lip without slipping.

Although I ride strapless often, and have been surfriding a lot for many years, I still prefer the powered style with speed, and using straps.
Because you can just stay out of the rear strap, and the front can be positioned to "work" in almost all conditions (the magic centre), so you can also glide without kitepower at all.

This combination of both styles is what I personally prefer.

Just different what we choose and prefer, but if I want to SURF, I go out on a short surfboard or SUP if small out there, and ride some waves instead - I honestly find it feels much better to surfride than kitesurf waveride, if you are "not allowed" to use the kite active and aggresive also :naughty:

But kitesurf waveriding offers so many more options not possible in surfing, especially in a much wider variety of conditions - and THATS what I love about kitesurfing in waves :thumb:

Kindly, Peter Frank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You guys^^ are both great authors here. Check in from time to time. :thumb:

The novelty only lasts for so many years I guess but its still cool, for what it is.
Although, it's true, you learn what's up, as the years pass,
you need less advice off the forum.
And you can get sick of bad topics, pimping, personal crap.
Still, I find it easy to ignore the pimping I don't like, and read for information.
No doubt it's harder to rise above it if you are in the business though.

Better than buying all the mags or having to drive to some kite-mecca and listen to sales pitches, just to see what's out there. Maybe I stick around since I don't live at the beach, and only get to go on some weekends.... The arguments? -I tune them out when they are not entertaining.

Videos and pictures are still great, for the scenery, technique, most sexy, travel, how-to, repairs, funny stuff, you name it.
Threads like the one from this summer on different surf-kiting set-ups are great.
It's good to be able to get information from people all over the world here.
It's been nice to have some real pros sharing info over time also, and a shame when they drop out because of the BS they run into.

Finally, I think the rise of the "social networking" sites has had an impact, both by diluting interest, and driving things in a more juvenile direction... not so interested in that facespace stuff, even if all the big kids do it too now.
Maybe I could join up and make some "friends" that way, but I would rather enjoy my real friends, in real life, and read whatever seems interesting here, when I feel like it.
Easier to ignore the bad parts when you are not busy pretending some avatar is your "friend."

Stick around, folks 8) .

Last edited by BWD on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Funny I was thinking the same thing, used to be interesting back when smart guys would discuss equipment design, aerodynamics etc and through their knowledge explain things in a way where you would learn something. Now I hardly bother as it's just a place where brands get pimped and bows/foils get bashed without logical explanation. A few years back the forum was a Best Propaganda and Bow bashing machine!

I enjoy reading open minded comments from yourself Peter as well as engineering types like JS as it's not emotive or shortsighted and there is always an attempt to look at why and how, rather than going with accepted viewpoints because everyone says so.

Last edited by ScottM on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:16 pm 
Frequent Poster

I agree with Skyway..pretty much what I was thinkin.

& to add, I can understand the "if you don't like it, then just don't click it" logic, but following that logic,
my visits & clicks seem to get less'n less..

Also, I think some of the forums focused on a particular walk of kiteboarding are starting to gain;
the scoop for wake, LTS for strapless, and FZ for foil freaks..

Since this forum is the 'main' forum, guess there's bound to be more that want to step on toes(or just don't care) than the aforementioned 'clicks' where the users know they're on the same page..

Just some thoughts..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

well if you look at who were the first to sign up on this forum
it was pretty much industry folks
at first
all working together to find common ground.

But as time passes we all find our niches and get comfortable in them
and some become experts and continually critiqed
some rolled with the punches

There is no ONE direction

The newness has worn off for me for sure
but I'm finding new directions and new interests still within the sport.

Back to my beginings
I started unhooked and standing on a large board
because the kites were so shitty and hard to control
letting go seemed like the best alternative.

An identical progression as in Windsurfing
and i'm sure many other new sports as well
but the interwebs has made it easier to keep (mis)informed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Greetings.

I still check Kiteforum regularly but most interesting topics I see have been covered before. I've learned a lot through KF and I've written a lot of posts which pushed me to understand what I was writing about.

Because KF has so many members, and because the sport has become so diversified, a lot of really focused correspondence may have found its way onto more specfic or local forums.

There's a lot of valuable info on KF but you might have to search to find it. I frequently see topics raised that have already been dealt with in the past. I have a strong point of view on many of those topics but I don't have the energy to regurgitate what I already wrote a year or more ago.

Now I look for anything new, not necessarily in terms of style, but in terms of technology or accomplishment. Racing and speed records come to mind.

Cheers,
James

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:24 pm 
Rare Poster

Some of the topics do get boring quickly because you guys with 4-5 years exp have gone thru this already. So just wade thru the beginner/intermediate stuff to get to what you like. Even better, come up with some new threads that will titillate young and old. There are no complaints about the Sexy Kite Pic thread, or when someone like Kevin screws the pooch. Just pick and choose. When a lot of you started riding, there wasn't a whole lot of gear to choose from. Not so now-a-days. So the newer riders need advice where to put their hard earned cash in a dwindling economy. Is it so hard to part with your experience? Sure it gets repetitive, and the wise user would be better off using the search feature. But the technology is changing so rapidly, that most riders like to be up on the latest poop. At least in the initial stages, kiteboarding totally consumes us all, and just about any topic provides some info, whether positive or negative. After perusing the forum for a few months, us less experienced folk can usually pick out who knows his sh-t and who doesn't, and who are constructive and who just want to f_ck it up for others. I look for certain user names and sometimes PM them when I have a pertinent question that I think might clog up the forum. So your expertise has not gone unnoticed! For me, thanks.

T.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Greetings,
Agreed that the news is no longer so fundamental. I am down to checking in only about twice a day now...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:21 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
Is it just me, or has the kitesurfing sport been so developed and "known" - and so many different styles and kite types - that there is not much going on here, besides (often meaningless) religous discussions about what type to ride, or branding new products etc ?

Apart from the race boards, which are interesting at many points, although a niche maybe (and I am into waveriding myself, so...), it is mostly about C kites or Flat kites (and who gives a damn - there is a place for all types today, also foil kites), or strapless or strapped waveriding (and who gives a damn - there is a place for both types today) :wink:

It's just you :-)

No, I think for someone that has been spenidng too much time here... that has been kiting for a while and has a lot of experience, some of the topics will recycle and resurface. I still think picking up other peoples views is valuable, and I definitely believe beginners that come here are taken well care of, and that they can get a lot of good and in many case critical information here. Apart from that I definitely agree that all types of riding and gear has a place, but I do find it interesting to get input on riding techniques, I've learned a lot here..and I still do.

Quote:
I would love to see more photos or videos, as this is what could interest more (IMO) nowadays, where the kitesurfing itself is really quite well defined/established and not that many questions no more :D

agree more vids and photos would be great...we're the holder of that information..I'm hoping to bring my cam out tomorrow...we'll see...

I addition, I think this forum still has a lot to offer. For instance, people who wants to get into the sport gets how-to-survive-your-first-session tips, better riders can get a lot of nice technique tips, people get good feedback on gear...I think most people are pretty good about not flooding...

In addition and this I think kiteforum.com plays a very important role in...if gear has been released with flaws, it will almost certainly be posted here, and thus can save people quite a lot of time and heartache, and even their health. Further more, there are many examples of kiteforum acting as and channeling empowerment into us, the consumers. If a customer has a warranty issue and the company does not respond, it will be posted, and instead of just being treated nicely in the first place companies gets a spanking. We've seen abuse of that empowerment, but we've also seen companies state their case, and won over the general opinion about the issue. I am not sure if all the companies are liking it, but there is no way back....what I am saying is the kiteforum is right now enabling a consumer driven market. Of course, Toby needs to stay on top of things and enable the contributors (all of us) to make it interesting, so that people will still come here...

my take on it...
a.

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next