Forum for kitesurfers
scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 1 kite quiver question

Postby scklandl » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:47 am

I got a friend whose stuck on his one kite quiv, not smy style but works great for him

surf, bigg tt, small tt and a 12m switchblade

12mph-35

no its not suicide, its another day in the park
UNLESS you got no skillsm then dont try this at home

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Been thanked: 0

Postby Windrider » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:37 am

I've also heard of two people here (Oahu) who only have an 8m as their one kite. Both are riding directionals.

Seems clear that, if you go for a 1-size quiver, then go small. Works for me because I was surprised at the power I get from my 10m. I imagine most current 10m kites are like that... more power than your grandad's 12m.

Also works for me because I actually enjoy riding my directional more than my twin tip, so I could get by with a 10m and my 6'2" directional. A magic combination that has lots of range.

And, as always, know your limits. I wouldn't take out the 10m if it was averaging 28 mph with gusts over 30. I'd be pulling the QR all over the place! But.... 24 mph gusting to occassional 29-30 mph is a pretty good high end. Tempting as though it may be, know your limits and only push them a little at a time when you're feeling 100%.

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:02 am

It just so happens that I have been racking up test time on a new brand of Kiteboard currently in 2 sizes. and to compare them is a close a standardized environment as possible I have only used a 10m Bandit dos, I'm 95kg.
what I have found is that wind under 12kts is not consistant and not worth the effort. 2. the wider board starts 2kts earlier, but when it starts planing it also starts to be fun.
3. the smaller board gets planing only 2kts difference but is a bit harder work for say a 4kt difference.
4. top end is a wider gap fun wise between the boards.

so in my experience the conclusion is, 1 kite 2 boards will extend wind range about 4kts lower.
The 10m bandit is working for me with these 2 boards from 13kts to 30kts.

if I went say the one smaller board and a 8m 12m kite quiver then I would cover the bottom end plus add 4-5kts top end . and have more fun overall while kiting.

That puts me in the 2kites 1 board gang.

Cvaradero
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Varadero Town
Pond Road beach NL, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Varadero, Cuba
Pond Road Beach, NL, Canada,
Style: Wake-style/Freestyle/Surf
Gear: OR

Postby Cvaradero » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:26 pm

in my personal opinion, there isn't a 1 kite quiver, not really if yoy want to ride all you can. even if you have 3 diferent board sizes, is not the same unless you live in a place wher the wind is always the same(same speed etc).

I think it will work better with one or 2 boards and 2 kites, is not the most economic way but, if you chosse the right choices you will never be sitting at the beach while your friends are at it.

again, just my personal opinion.

cheers and good winds!
ch

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:46 pm

Dudes, I'm all about minimalism. Just sold my 9m bandit and now am down to a 12/10/8 sle and surf/wake/mutt.

Gonna simplify a little this year and pick up two more kites!

Actually, laughs aside, I ride the wake set up 99% of the time with the 12 all summer and the 10/8 in spring and fall. Cant see myself with a one kite quiver here. Am into the sport enough that the simplest I can handle would be one board three kites. But seeing as I built the board rack, might as well have something in it! I paddle the surf occasionally and the muttant, well...... its sits there.

Covered in any and all conditions

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Starsky wrote:Dudes, I'm all about minimalism. Just sold my 9m bandit and now am down to a 12/10/8 sle and surf/wake/mutt.

Gonna simplify a little this year and pick up two more kites!

Actually, laughs aside, I ride the wake set up 99% of the time with the 12 all summer and the 10/8 in spring and fall. Cant see myself with a one kite quiver here. Am into the sport enough that the simplest I can handle would be one board three kites. But seeing as I built the board rack, might as well have something in it! I paddle the surf occasionally and the muttant, well...... its sits there.

Covered in any and all conditions
Agree. I can't see myself with one kite either..

I do think one can get away with a kite and a board, but that depends on spot, and riding...I just keep on changing my mind on what I want to ride, where and how...but there is always that bread and butter kite...the one that is always part of what you stuff into your car...

if I were going on holiday and could only bring 1 kite and two boards...for me that would be the 10.5 helix...a TT and a rather large surfboard (depending a little on the spot). I actually think that line lengths does make a difference...maybe not increasing the range enormously, but it certainly gives your kite some different qualities...I think the 20 / 24 or 20 / 27 is a good combo.

dr.
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anywhere West
Favorite Beaches: Silverstrand, Ireland.
Lahinch, Ireland.
Enniscrone Strand, Ireland.
Style: Freestyle / Waves
Gear: North Vegas 2008 10m.
Nobile 666 2008 132x41

Postby dr. » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:36 am

hi everyone, thanks for the replies, i myself actually fly 2 kites also, an 11 & 8, but was just interested in opinions.
... what prompted me to ask this question was from reading a poll in kiteboarder this month on future developments to equipment in the sport, have we reached a limit where kites are just being fine tuned or will there be more huge advances such as in the last 3 years, the poll suggested that 1 kite that could cover everything safely was what most kiters hoped for.
One designer suggested that it was nearly there already with the combination of different boards and line lengths. But i think this is bit of a cop out as a kiter still has to carry the same weight in equiment.
One fantastic suggestion was a kite that could be increased or reduced physically in size depending on the wind speed. Anyone know if any kite companies have attempted this already?

kenny KAF
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beauduc, France
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, France :-)
Style: old style, big air!
Gear: Peter Lynn kites and old F-one SK8
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn kiteboarding

Postby kenny KAF » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:31 am

Hi, I was on a 2 kites 1 board quiver: 10 + 16 m² and a small TT 138x35
This year, as I'm a new dad, I planned not to go out that much so I changed to a 1 kite quiver. I chose a Peter Lynn Synergy 12m² (yes, it's a foil!). I pulled out from the shelves an old directionnal board (207cm) which has a lot of volume for good float, very flat and straight outline. This board has lots of speed, excellent upwind and good edging ability which helps a lot in light wind. I can get out in 10 knots with it (I'm 63kg). When the wind hits 15 knots, I switch to my F-one SK8. From 25 knots, I change my 27m lines to 20m ones and can push my kite in higher 30s knots easily.

Getting the lines down to 20m does not make the kite behaving any different or worse to me. I actually love to fly it on short lines as it is more challenging to keep it in power all the time and it is so much easier for jumping as it reacts faster. I don't want to get back on 2 kites for the moment as I do not kite much but even so I think I would stick with one kite/2 boards. Perfect to me: I have less equipment to transport and don 't have to wonder which size to chose :D Then when on the beach you have to tune it according to the conditions but if you know your gear, it's no hassle! :thumb:

kenny KAF
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beauduc, France
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, France :-)
Style: old style, big air!
Gear: Peter Lynn kites and old F-one SK8
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn kiteboarding

Postby kenny KAF » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:53 am

dr. wrote:One fantastic suggestion was a kite that could be increased or reduced physically in size depending on the wind speed. Anyone know if any kite companies have attempted this already?
This has already been done years ago. Don't remember the brand but it was an open-cell foil for buggy racing. You could add some cells with zippers and by doing little adjustments on the bridals. from memory, you could go from 4m² to 8m². Think the name of this kite was the modulus or something similar.

There was also the world kite jump champion, Pierre Cardineaud who planned to build a prototype for beating his own record (83.80 metres): an 8m kite with 2 small kites of 2m² each on each side of the main kite which he would open when in the air so he could use the 8m² to get lifted and then would expand to 12m² for float. Never heard of this idea. I don't think it has been manufactured after all. Here is the website of the kite jumping kites he manufacture: http://www.mandibule.fr/wsite/modules.p ... dStart=gal Sorry it's all in french :wink:

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:26 am

A true 1 kite quiver is impossible unless you plan to ride within the kite's envelop and do other stuff when the wind is not enough or too much. Your question should bevwhat gives you the best range? I am 6', close to 200 lbs an an SB 12 m get me out from 10ish knts to 25, safely (with an XTR and a BTS freestyle, 42 cm wide). I have a feeling that the 10 would get me in 12ish to 30 and the 11 close to that, a tiny bit less at the top. I feel that 1 meter less would give me a much better top end with minimal loss at the bottom.

Return to “Kitesurfing”