spleeft
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: Waves
Gear: North Vegas, surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None

North 08' bar donkey dick issue/ rep warranty issue pending

Postby spleeft » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:20 pm

I've been riding north kites for 5 years now and truly love them, but I've recently discovered a serious problem that caused me to loose a new kite to the offshore wind Ocean gods( viewtopic.php?f=162&t=2348945 ) , and to almost injure my friend. He had just launched and the bar "snapped " off the hook , holding on he lofted slightly and was able to get it hooked back in before he was dragged into a nasty wooded board walk. The donkey dicks will unknowingly break and will cause the bar to "snap" off the hook when you least expect it.
I was riding yesterday in 25knts winds /overhead waves near Ocean City Maryland ,on a new 08' 9m2 Vegas ( that was preforming great!) that I just bought to replace the one i lost,(see lost and found post).
I had just had a nice fast wave ride, the lines slacked slightly, and when I turned upwind a bit to tension the lines the bar just snapped off the hook. Holding on with one hand at that moment, I had to let go and subsequently eject completely so the fifth line wouldnt tear the kite in half (thats another story!) when the kite was engulfed by a wall of white water. This is the same thing that happened when I lost my kite back in July.
I'm not complaining about the North warranty service or anything like that..yet..! I am contacting them now as I post this. i suspect that I will get a "fix" for the issue to prevent it from happening again suggested to me. Although now that I know about it, I will know to watch out for it and hopefully all North kite users who read this will too! Watching my new Vegas blow out to sea was very painful, but not as much as an injury. Will keep you all posted on rep feedback.

Hybridkiter
Medium Poster

Re: North 08' bar donkey dick issue/ rep warranty issue pending

Postby Hybridkiter » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:12 pm

For what it's worth, this happened to each and every one of my North 2008 bars--3. In each case, I cut some old spare plastic Waroo battens down to length, shoved them into the dd tube and Gorilla glued them in and used black tape to seal the end. Worked great--better than the original actually-- though we shouldn't have to do this. I hope the 09's don't do this.

spleeft
Medium Poster

Postby spleeft » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:04 pm

ya , the kites are so great, it was still worth just replacing that 9m 08' Vegas!
Repairing DDicks now....thanks :thumb:
P.S. Did you check the vids the pics link too !?!

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:04 pm

Rider error, sorry to say

I ride without a DD on huge mouthed custom CL, it never "snaps off"

expecting a donkey dick to stop a kite from flying off the hook when the CL isnt hooked to the spreader bar is ridiculous,

buy a shackle or take a look at your riding cuz your not doing something right

spleeft
Medium Poster

Postby spleeft » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:53 pm

One rides totally different when not using a DD. When i do, I'm aware of the situation and unhook to do tricks and ride waves and such while keep proper pressure when staying hook in. But that broken dd creates a situation where it feels like your hooked/locked in but as soon as there's slack, then pressure, it pops. If it's not reliable , dont bother including it with the bar. Maybe ddicks should be replaced with shackles on all bars, would solve the problem.

baller
Frequent Poster

Postby baller » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:24 am

I agree with all points above. Sounds like the dd is too flexible, although I have ridden north gear for the past 2 years and never had this issue, I only hook in the donkey dick occasionally.

I think that North needs to add recommendations to limit 5th line depower into their instruction manual. The stopper balls are on the line, and fixing them around 3M above the CL gives adequate depower, but virtually eliminates the risk of the kite rolling on the 5th. It seems like 99% of North riders don't know this, and even out regional rep didn't seem familiar with the purpose of the stopper ball. By using that ball, you should mitigate the 5th line rolling that contributed to your lost kite. Might also be a good idea to carry a knife to cut the 5th rather than ejecting your entire bar.

The broken dd was only a part of this catastrophe, but the sequelae must be considered rider error.

rolf
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Mirns and Muiderberg
Favorite Beaches: Mirns
Style: Oldscool
Gear: Currentley Cabrinha fx 8 and 10m. 2016. after Cabrinha co2 2004 2005 and de past 9 years North Vegas

Postby rolf » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:26 pm

I had the seem problems twice with my 2007 bar,happend once on shore  witch cause the bar snap out of my hand,after that my kite crasht in to a trhee,not nice.Second it snapt during a yumping move witch injurred my left shoulder,not nice aggain,only now by seeing your picture i realise that there is a crake inside, so thanks for that.

wjb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Postby wjb » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:40 pm

My dd has been broken for the last 5 months but has still held the CL on without issue. If your CL slacks so that the kite pulls against the dd as shown in your photo here there is no way any dd will hold against this. I found the North dd too long and you almost have to bend it at 90 degrees so it fits into the hook. I cut off about an inch on my 09 setup.
Attachments
dd.JPG

spleeft
Medium Poster

Postby spleeft » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:03 pm

Thanks for all the replies~
WJB, thats the probem. The only reason this happens is because the DD is broken, but you dont know it. Normally , the dd thats not broken will keep the CL from getting into this postion. Its the inner piece thats broken ( 2nd) pic.
And I agree, it breaks when your bending it to put it in the hook, its too long. Ya just have to be careful.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:23 pm

Dean: Your last picture fits a missing piece into my puzzle. I could not - for the life of me - figure out why this was happening?!

Of the 4-5 times, it almost always happened when the kite had gone slack for some reason - re-powering into my quite surprised hands. The 'penile implant' Hybridkiter mentions sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Jim

Return to “Kitesurfing”