Octopus System and using Teflon Tape on the connectors

Forum for kitesurfers
snowycarter
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Octopus System and using Teflon Tape on the connectors

Postby snowycarter » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:53 am

I am fixing leaks on inflate valves on struts for Raven 2. I have heard that you need to wrap Teflon tape around the octopus connector. It sure is tricky to get the tape around that connector from the LE.

Is it really necessary to put the teflon tape on? What does it achieve? Any tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PS. to all kite manufacturers - surely these valves can be stuck down better for more longevity. I have had to restick 5 in 2 days ....

ineedwindnow
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Octopus System and using Teflon Tape on the connectors

Postby ineedwindnow » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 am

You have to use the Teflon tape it is recommended by Naish , log onto naish tv and watch the repair movie.It would not be good if you put the kite back together with out the tape and you had leaks all over the place.As for the glue try seem grip I used it once to glue some valves back on and they never came of again.

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites

Postby Ivel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:00 pm

yeah unfortunately you need to put that on or it keeps leaking. if your nipples are delamming just use u-sticks or aquaseal. you don't need to detach the bladders to fix the valves. just pull them out thru the zipper and leave the Octopus deal connected.

if you make a complete mess of it you can convert it to single pump. i did it on a 10 raven because the struts were so damn small. i cut up an old wet suit and stuffed them into the end of the struts and then just put regular bladders in and it worked great.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:45 pm

I have a kite school where we use Naish-Cabrinha-Best-SS kites...

Have fix about 25 Naish kites through the years whit octopus. Lei/stuts etc. Never used the tape.. All hold air fine. The Best had the same system (look alike,) and never use it there either.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:26 am

Hi, looking for help on this old matter.

One of the internal valves of my naish is leaking at the connection. I tried with teflon but it didn't work. I put a couple of wraps at the beginning and then put several wraps. It still leaks.

I thought in keeping the strut bladder disconnected, but I don't know how to 'plug' the valves, both on the main and on the strut.

The valves are not delaminated and there are no holes on the bladders. I checked that well. The leak is in the connection.

Any ideas?

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:44 am

Why naish dont stop to use octopus.... Pleaseee

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:14 am

Its pretty easy. Just do one round of teflon tape It doesn't need much at all. Like Paff is saying they generally don't leak but to be sure one round makes it a bit better.

Mariano: Are you sure that is where it leaks? I've never had a leak on the connection. I guess after a long time they can potentially leak, but I'd say generally I've never seen it leak in the connection it self.

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks for the reply @Tautologies. The kite is a 2010 9m Torch. I'm pretty sure is the connection. I pulled out the strut bladder, put on the plug provided in the repair kit and pumped the bladder. It holds air as long as I don't touch it, but if I move the plug a little bit to the sides I can hear the air coming out. And then putting it under water I see the bubbles coming out from the connection.

Then I did a similar test on the main bladder. With the strut bladder out, I wrapped a piece of plastic with a rubber band around the male valve in the main bladder and pumped up the main bladder. There were no leaks.

I tried with no teflon tape, with just a little, and with plenty. It keeps leaking.

Even if the kite is from 2010, it hasn't been used much. It's in very good condition, and I like the kite a lot.

Maybe the valve material has degraded with the years, became drier and it doesn't seal as before? However, the teflon tape should do the sealing.

I think I'm gonna find something to plug those valves and isolate the bladder from the octopus system.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:10 pm

MarianoMoll wrote:Thanks for the reply @Tautologies. The kite is a 2010 9m Torch. I'm pretty sure is the connection. I pulled out the strut bladder, put on the plug provided in the repair kit and pumped the bladder. It holds air as long as I don't touch it, but if I move the plug a little bit to the sides I can hear the air coming out. And then putting it under water I see the bubbles coming out from the connection.

Then I did a similar test on the main bladder. With the strut bladder out, I wrapped a piece of plastic with a rubber band around the male valve in the main bladder and pumped up the main bladder. There were no leaks.

I tried with no teflon tape, with just a little, and with plenty. It keeps leaking.

Even if the kite is from 2010, it hasn't been used much. It's in very good condition, and I like the kite a lot.

Maybe the valve material has degraded with the years, became drier and it doesn't seal as before? However, the teflon tape should do the sealing.

I think I'm gonna find something to plug those valves and isolate the bladder from the octopus system.

So it sounds like you are doing the right things. If you are wiggling the valve maybe it is where the valve is seated on the bladder it leaks, because that can get problematic. It does seem like you have a good feel for how to check tho.

Yeah just try with one and a half round of teflon tape..but do not put a lot on. :-)
The torch is too gnarly for me. I still have an 11, that I like in on-shore wave conditions, but last time I looped a torch on a TT I crashed soo hard and I am getting too old for that. :D

EDIT: words.
Last edited by tautologies on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:21 pm

haha! Yeah, I think twice before looping the torch, it does boost nice too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”