OR Mako board and apple users.

Forum for kitesurfers
kuczwas
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: OR Mako board and apple users.

Postby kuczwas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:31 pm

POACHER wrote:NHP is asymetric and works great in chop, flat, surf, etc.
Yes, the heel edge is longer and more straight than the toeside edge. It makes riding toeside easier.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:29 am

Well it depends on what the user is looking for. I use macs for my music and any graphical design work but the PC for more generic normal day work.

The mako has its own feel due to the concave and rocker. If I'm in the ocean free riding the mako beats any flat bottomed TT regardless on the minor tweaks they do with rocker, flex and fin size and placements. On the flat water give me a sqaured tipped flat bottomed TT anyday.

Again depends on what use you want it for. And yes I have ridden and owned plenty of TT boards I including the heralded shinn range and have demoed the speedball.

Still have my 150 mako.

Just as with my kites I have now come to the conclusion that a board that does everything doesn't exist. There is always a compromise. So get specific gear for specific purposes.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:51 pm

WestOzzy,

Can you compare the speedball to the mako? Or are they completely different animals?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 am

davesails7 wrote:WestOzzy,

Can you compare the speedball to the mako? Or are they completely different animals?
Will keep this short plenty on ukkiteboarder forum.
Yeh very different but that being said if you got off a normal TT onto the SB you'd be like wow this is different. We rode the mako and the SB back to back my bro and I swapping every 15 minutes or so and the changeover was much easier. In that respect mark has indeed built some excellent freeride into it. And at a good time. I see a massive resurgence for freeride.

SB goes earlier loves a high aspect kite. Same as the mako. My bro felt he could go faster on the SB. Both are good carvers the mako better as severely round ends allows you to keep all your speed on a turn.

But ultimately the SB is a flat bottomed TT and has all the shinn feel about it. The mako has its own unique feel that no other TT generates and for me was superior. But that is just me. The mako feels closer to a SUrfboard on a wave on that spectrum.

In my mind if I want a TT (which I do) I will get a full blown f*** off square tipped freestyle board. Not something in between.

I feel the SB needs the tips to round earlier and more severely as the splash on the back legs annoyed me. Either go hard for freeride tip wise or don't I say.

Both worth demoing. Both very different boards designed for a similar purpose.

Return to “Kitesurfing”