Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Forum for kitesurfers
shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby shymac » Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 pm

kiter147 wrote:hey how is the turning speed compared to a thruster ? both 8m in about 15-20knots
Comparing those will be comparing apples to oranges... The Thruster pivots (Hybird/Bow), where as the RPM scoops (C). Both turn fast but how they turn is the different story and that what sets them apart.

mattyoaks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Francis
Style: wakestyle/waveriding
Gear: Naish Torch and Thorn

Postby mattyoaks » Tue May 05, 2009 8:05 pm

shymac wrote:
papasmerf wrote:Mr Shymac,

what is the specific improvement in the new bars coming out over the the current '09 bars right now?

thanks for any info.

btw,,,,,rode a 14m RPM,,,,,very nice
The new 2010 is still on lock down for the public to check out but it will come with the industry standard push release CL. Anything that bugs you about the current bar will be probably changed for the 2010. I really getting excited for this piece of equipment and it is really gonna change some things... Innovation, Simplicity, Performance.... ISP. :redcard: :cooltext:

But for those that haven't seen the new RPM bar; It is by far the cleanest SS bar to date... Still light years ahead in terms of safety, bar feel, Simplicity, and overall performance.

Is this the ´09 or ´10 bar? Can you put up a pic showing the entire bar please? I´m intrigued to see the rest:)

thx

spencero
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby spencero » Tue May 05, 2009 8:50 pm

New bar this summer? Finally! I pulled the release accidentally from trying to grab CL or Cleat.

Shymac, thanks for keeping us informed! Dream job u have. Don't think I've been this hype on a kite for a while...too bad no money :cry:

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Tried one and really liked it, awesome unhooked, no back-stall, fast, very powerful kite loops, but perhaps not super powerful low-end.

Unfortunately the relatively high price coupled with an appreciating USD makes it way too expensive in many countries. It would be nice if the lower manufacturing cost from only three struts came through as a lower price :)

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.

Postby shymac » Tue May 05, 2009 10:29 pm

mattyoaks wrote:
shymac wrote:
papasmerf wrote:Mr Shymac,

what is the specific improvement in the new bars coming out over the the current '09 bars right now?

thanks for any info.

btw,,,,,rode a 14m RPM,,,,,very nice
The new 2010 is still on lock down for the public to check out but it will come with the industry standard push release CL. Anything that bugs you about the current bar will be probably changed for the 2010. I really getting excited for this piece of equipment and it is really gonna change some things... Innovation, Simplicity, Performance.... ISP. :redcard: :cooltext:

But for those that haven't seen the new RPM bar; It is by far the cleanest SS bar to date... Still light years ahead in terms of safety, bar feel, Simplicity, and overall performance.

Is this the ´09 or ´10 bar? Can you put up a pic showing the entire bar please? I´m intrigued to see the rest:)

thx
I would love to but until we get a little closer to the release date of the new bar all photos of it are on lock down. Don't what the competition coping another SS innovation just yet.... :naughty:

shymac
Very Frequent Poster

Postby shymac » Tue May 05, 2009 10:37 pm

spencero wrote:New bar this summer? Finally! I pulled the release accidentally from trying to grab CL or Cleat.

Shymac, thanks for keeping us informed! Dream job u have. Don't think I've been this hype on a kite for a while...too bad no money :cry:

Thanks for the props, Spencero! I used to be in your shoes waiting for any info regarding new gear but to only wait months if not years for anything new and exciting to read or see from the manufacturers. So I made it a point to share the Slingshot stoke as much as possible with the rest of the kite community; either it be pimpin product or sharing photos of the places I get to travel too. I just want to make sure the info I'm putting out is legit and informative. :thumb:

J-Dogg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: inland
Favorite Beaches: corpus christi
Style: wakestyle
Gear: T3, REV2, Cabrinha custom
Brand Affiliation: XLkites SPI

Postby J-Dogg » Tue May 05, 2009 11:08 pm

I am riding In Dallas TX and I cant decide to get the REV2 or the RPM
I have flown the 08 REV but not the RPM Im trying to decide which kite will be best forwakestyle inland kiting.
what do you think?

shymac
Very Frequent Poster

Postby shymac » Tue May 05, 2009 11:46 pm

J-Dogg wrote:I am riding In Dallas TX and I cant decide to get the REV2 or the RPM
I have flown the 08 REV but not the RPM Im trying to decide which kite will be best forwakestyle inland kiting.
what do you think?
RPM for sure. It will just feel better at unhooking and have that pop, power and loft your looking for when passing the bar. Similar to the Fuel but much more user friendly.

You will progress like never before! And that's no lie...

kiter147
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: My own beach
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad, 9m/11m

Postby kiter147 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:41 am

oh ok
i see thanks
shymac wrote:
kiter147 wrote:hey how is the turning speed compared to a thruster ? both 8m in about 15-20knots
Comparing those will be comparing apples to oranges... The Thruster pivots (Hybird/Bow), where as the RPM scoops (C). Both turn fast but how they turn is the different story and that what sets them apart.

Kraimer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Style: Freeride
Gear: 15m 04 Fuel, 13M Diesel, 9M Diesel

Postby Kraimer » Wed May 06, 2009 4:09 am

kiter147 wrote:oh ok
i see thanks
shymac wrote:
I'd like to chime in for a second: I got out on an 8m RPM at OBX on 5/3 at Kitepoint. Check out ikitesurf for the wind graph as it was a pretty windy day (rode the kite from about 12:30pm to 1:45pm). Lull 22; Sustained 27; G 35+. I have to say the RPM kicked some serious butt in those conditions. Zip zero nada jelly fishing - super stable in the air at all times and it was very smooth through the gusts. I'm a big guy at 230 and ride a crazyfly raptor 137 and had about 4 inches of depower on. Definitely a sick kite and I am very happy that I got on it.

That said, I currently ride 08 thrusters and I have to say that the RPM and the Thruster (at least at that size) are very comparable kites. In my personal opinion the thruster boosts higher HOWEVER my buddy who rented the kite and had substantially more time on the kite was Killing it with air time. When I downloop my thruster or the RPM they felt very similar and both had the ability to "piviot" or sweep. It just depends on how you initiate the turn and hold the bar throughout the loop.

I think either kite would make a kick ass quiver. The RPM is def. more solid and less jellyfishy(though the thruster is not bad by any means bad it just breathes a little more) while I think the thruster has more lift and responds to apparent wind better. Also the RPM will backup very nicely into the window after you downloop if you lose line tension; my thruster has fallen out of the sky once but those where below average conditions. Both have a feeling which remind me of my 04 SS Fuels (which I love!!) Both are great kites.

I also have owned 04 fuels and 05 diesels and now the 08 thrusters.

Return to “Kitesurfing”