Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Forum for kitesurfers
shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby shymac » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Beadnell Drew wrote:Reportig back on the 12m and 8m RPM. Im so pleased I took the gamble on these kites. They are awesome. Its such an easy kite to fly and has given me exactly what it said it would. Loads of power in the turn, steady in the sky and great re launch. Iv not flown many C kites but a friend who has said Slingshot really have bridged the gap between a Bow and C kite. I was on Rev's before the RPM and would nt want to go back. Not that there is anything wrong with the Rev, its a super kite but the RPM is just what i was looking for.

Thanks to the S2AS guys for hooking me up and giving me the confidence to take the plunge on a kite with very little experience in the market. Off to Tarifa next week so looking forward to some stronger wind and warm water.

I was out on my 8m RPM last week, wind meter was reading 18-20 knots when we first went in, when I finished 2 hours later it was about 16-18 knots. Still had loads to play with in the whole session, others were on 12m, 10, 9m. The 8 gave me all the power I needed so I was super happy to get out in 18 knots on 8m's. Mikey was on 7m Fuel, he lacked a bit of power towards the end of the session and Pete was on 9m Rev, loads of fun for him too. Others were on 10-12m HP/Waroo. Slingshot crew were still holding it down and Mikey and Pete were looping nice style.

So now help me tune these RPM's!? Any tips?

Best wishes

A 'very pleased with his purchases' Drew

Great news to hear and I'm glad that your happy with your purchase. :thumb:

With regards to tuning; Its all up to you and how you want it to feel so changing the setting around quickly will during your time in Tarifa will be great to get your kites dialed to your riding style.

Back line tuning is simple. Just find the bar pressure and tuning speed you like. Closer to the LE the higher the bar pressure and the more input you will need to steer the kite at the same speed as stock set-up.

Front line tuning is also super simple. If you feel you need that extra grunt or need to push the window of the low end try hooking it up on the attachment point below the stock one. This will add more of a FUEL like grunt to the kite.

Q: What are the ideal settings for surf?

A: Choose the setting that is best for yourself. We recommend using the depower setting for the front bridle and either of the two furthest rearward bridle points. This will give you the most depower in the kite, as well as excellent relaunch to keep your kite from getting washed in the waves. Also note: The trim on the RPM is set to give good power without stalling when riding across the wind. When riding in the surf down the line, expect to sheet the bar out and/or trim some front line in to eliminate stall.

Q: What are the ideal settings for wake style?

A: The wake style setting for the front bridle will suit most unhooked style riders by giving them the most grunt. The rear bridle lines should be set to either of the two forward attachment points to give the most bar pressure, feedback, and predictability when throwing moves.

Q: What are the ideal settings for underpower conditions? What settings should I be on and where
should my trim be as not to over sheet the kite?

A: Usually in light conditions, riders need to turn the kite a lot to generate power. We recommend either of the 2 most rearward rear bridle attachment points to get the lightest bar pressure. The trim on the RPM is set to give good power without stalling when riding across the wind. This is good for most freestyle riding. When riding in very light conditions, expect to sheet the bar out at times when the wind drops out to avoid over sheeting.

Q: What are the ideal settings for over powered conditions?
A: In these wind conditions a rider should be well advanced and understand what feeling they want out of the kite. We recommend the Freestyle setting for the front bridle to provide the most depower. The rear bridle settings are a matter of preference for each rider.

Q: Where can I find replacement parts,bridles,bladders,and knowledge center for the RPM.
A: www.slingshotsports.com or your local dealer.

I have a goPRO video showcasing the power and speed of 6M. Def worth checkin out... :wall1:

http://www.vimeo.com/4365314

Beadnell Drew
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Beadnell Bay, Northumberland
Favorite Beaches: Beadnell Bay, Budle Bay, Tiaba, Jeri,
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rev and Best HP (still cant make my mind up)
Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Beadnell Drew » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:13 am

SHYMAC- Many thanks for the prompt reply to tuning. I will look forward to having a day of steady wind to test all the settings. Your post is very clear and appreciate the tips.

I already checked out your movie and the 6 looks a fun kite too. Maybe I will need one for Brazil. What was the wind speed that day?

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.

Postby shymac » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Right around 23 knots. That would be the usable low end for that 6M with a surfboard. If I had a smaller twin it would have not worked. The 6M would top out at 40-45 maybe more if you ran 20m lines on it.

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Postby FckGravity » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Why is Youri on them and not on Fuels? How does he rock the RPM? What bar and such

HJ11
Frequent Poster

Postby HJ11 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:39 pm

shymac wrote:Right around 23 knots. That would be the usable low end for that 6M with a surfboard. If I had a smaller twin it would have not worked. The 6M would top out at 40-45 maybe more if you ran 20m lines on it.
2de place in the 1ste event of the year and he wonn the Best trick contest so he rocks the RPM and YZ Brunotti board hard

www.yourizoon.com -> News

shymac
Very Frequent Poster

Postby shymac » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:39 pm

FckGravity wrote:Why is Youri on them and not on Fuels? How does he rock the RPM? What bar and such
Youri is truly stoked on his RPM's or he would have not picked them to compete in the PKRA with them; Hell he got second with them so they must be pretty good to ride with. The RPM is new and legit and its his time to shine on a new product. Ruben already has the FUEL on lock down; so it was a case of being in the shadow of Ruben and him taking all the glory with the FUEL. Now he is super pumped with his kites and allows him to be more aggressive in a wider range of conditions and be a "stand-out" with a new product from Slingshot.

Not sure what bar he rides; either stock or not but the bar is very personal and he is going to ride what ever feels best in his hands. All I do know is that if you ride powered up most the time and don't need the extra bit of oversheeting you can use the PRO but you have to trim it all the way. Because of the shorter throw you will not have complete shut off. But with that, the RPM stomps well enough to control gusts like C's.

I ride the stock bar but have a PRO for high wind days and for my smaller RPM's and it works sick.

s2as1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: poole,sandbanks,dorset
Favorite Beaches: Big bag, Lancelin, And Silver sands
Style: waves
Brand Affiliation: www.s2as.com

Postby s2as1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi Drew

So Stoked you love your RPM and i am gald that we helped guide you towards the finest kite in 2009!!.
you know where we are when you need some more!! and guess what i have a Cheeky 6m in stock at present and at the better prices.
you know its what you want especially after shymacs little video.
thanks again

S2AS Poole

www.s2as.com
justin@s2as.com
01202 738448

LaurensNL
Rare Poster

Postby LaurensNL » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:07 am

Shymac, can you compare the 6m RPM, with the 5m Fuel for waveriding. Which is faster, rpm or fuel in the very small size?

Beadnell Drew
Rare Poster
Nobile 666

Postby Beadnell Drew » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:48 pm

S2AS-Justin, thanks again for all your help and info on the boards too.

I will defo be in the market for a 6 soon, but lets get through the British summer and il take a 6m for October in Brazil. Im stoked on you guys and your konwledge on the kit so keep up the good work.

Il let you know whats happening on the board front.

Best wishes

Beadnell Drew
Rare Poster
Nobile 666

Postby Beadnell Drew » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:15 pm

S2AS-Justin, thanks again for all your help and info on the boards too.

I will defo be in the market for a 6 soon, but lets get through the British summer and il take a 6m for October in Brazil. Im stoked on you guys and your konwledge on the kit so keep up the good work.

Il let you know whats happening on the board front.

Best wishes

Return to “Kitesurfing”