All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: What will be the next big advance in equipment?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

What do you think will be the next significant advance in equipment, or do you think this is good as it gets for a long while?

Maybe we can't make the equipment much better. I read somewhere once that the Wright Brother's handmade airplane propeller was so good that even today's propellers are only 3% more efficient.

I've wondered if anyone will come out with a different control format than a bar for kitesurfing. The four line control handles on my fixed bridle land foils allow for much more precise control and the option for reverse launches, brake turns, and landing is so much easier than with a bar.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: What will be the next big advance in equipment?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

hmmm ive been thinking that maybe they will implement electronics? maybe something as simple as an on kite wind/gust meter that beeps at the rider (kinda like a glider in thermals). That device also could simply just keep track of your ride. ride time. max altitude. average wind speed. average kite speed. maybe even max tension/force in lines.
Also maybe electronic quick releases? maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:03 am 
Medium Poster

I think a 30% advance followed by six monthly payments is the way forward. Any advance bigger than 30% is just gonna be too big of an advance, what with the current economic crisis an all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:11 am 
Medium Poster

Kites that depower when you let go. It doesn't take a kite smith to realize this is a huge challenge. The problem with all safety systems for kites, is that if a line wraps around your bar, or lines get twisted, its a game changer.

But hey... if the people who design wingsuits for BASE jumping are confident that we are going to see a wingsuit that can land without the need for a parachute, then I'm sure Wainman will come up with something!

I had my share of near death experiences flying 2-line death machines since 2000. The level of safety that I am comfortable with is satisfied by today's kiting technology, at least for me. I went from nothing to something! However, this is still a sport that I slap a big WARNING label on when ever my friends want to learn. The death stats for the 4-5,000 known BASE jumpers worldwide is around 1 out of 30... Yikes! Kiteboarding can't possibly be that bad, but it's still not as safe as it could be.

Make a "total kill" safety system.

Last edited by volatile on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
I vote for that... kites that de-power when you let go.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:56 am 
Medium Poster

Hi :)

If any advancement is needed its with kite pumps, they are a joke! They are heavy, clunky, take up too much space when travelling and they seem to break so easily, im sure anyone who has been kiting a few years has more than a few broken pumps in their garage.

I rekon we are finaly reaching a peak in kite design but the only advances i could see coming are in stronger lighter materials that pack down really small. Maybe no bladders anymore either then no need for kite pumps :D

I like the idea of split kiteboards for travelling, havent seen or ridden one but definately think this is headed in the right direction with airport charges and everything. It is always my biggest piece of kiting equipment.

Electronics on kites is interesting but if it hasnt turned up on windsurfing in all these years then i doubt it will happen in kitesurfing. I like keeping it simple plus i have trouble working the dvd never mind an electronic device on my kite, :D

Dara :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:24 am 
Frequent Poster

Bars need the most work.
and it seems the kites now are kinda dumbed down.
pumps also need lots of improvement

i think kite companies should slow down. they come out with a whole new line of gear every year, sometimes even less than a year and are constantly rushing to get everything to production. over the last two years i have seen quality of kites and harnesses getting worse and worse.
it seems that the image is all that matters, stuff has become too flashy.
if companies were to slow down, take maybe two years between production batches, the equipment could actually get fully tested instead of half-cocked ideas being put on the market for the consumer to find out that their $1700ish kite is just as good as something from 2 years ago that you can't sell for $400 .( then again maybe thats good, i get some kick ass kites for cheap)

people that fly the kites are also a big issue. most people getting into kiting are desk jockeys that have no idea about wind or water or both. it seems that many people cannot figure out how to tune the kite for themselves, cope with different wind directions or even rig and launch the kite.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:41 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Ivel wrote:
i think kite companies should slow down. they come out with a whole new line of gear every year, sometimes even less than a year and are constantly rushing to get everything to production.

Totally agree. Manufacturers should only come out with a something new when they've developed something better than what they currently have, not just because "it's that time of year again...".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 am 
Frequent Poster

I think a wireless kite will be the next big thing.
No more tangeled up lines, that will be a great step forward.. :jump:

:thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Maybe depower below the bar which does not have any loose rope flapping about, combined with a Q/R spreader bar hook.

Ideally, the stopper would be moveable on a short (thicker) section of line - like Takoon used.

Something like this, or with the winder inside the front half of the chickenloop?
The depower rope would be attached to a thinner rope, which was wound on a pulley. The chickenloop could be made from a tubular ring.

Attachments:
DEPOWER.jpg
DEPOWER.jpg [ 47.97 KIB | Viewed 71 times ]

Last edited by ronnie on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next