Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook to Kite Island
Style: powered
Brand Affiliation: consumer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

OBX

Postby JerseyPride » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:36 pm

This is for the locals around the outter banks NC.

I'm going to be around for the weekend, and I was hoping for a little local insight...

What is the best wind/weather forecast online? weather.com says thunderstorms all weekend, not excited about that.
What is the closest launch to Corolla?
Any rules/restrictions i need to know about?

Thanks in advance.

thebroz
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: OBX

Postby thebroz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Not sure about Corolla that is way north of the very popular Wave/Salvo & Avon areas that most people flock to. It's proabably over an hour south of to those spots from Corolla. The closest spot to that location I am familiar with is Windmill point on the Roanoke sound in Nags Head. But in general there are miles & miles of great launch areas. If it is off limits it will be clearly posted, and if that's the case you don't have to go too far to find another great access. I was out there all last week, despite them calling for storms I got 6 days in a row. Good luck.
Broz

Chungmu
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Chungmu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 pm

I live on the Outer Banks. The 2 sources that I use for weather are http://www.wunderground.com and http://www.ikitesurf.com. Between the 2 sites you can usually get a fair guess on what the weather is going to do.

It does mention some possible storms for the weekend but looks like only 30% chance currently. During the warmer months that is our forecast pretty much every day. When it gets warm there is a chance pretty much every day for some afternoon storms to pop up. I would say that it is worth coming down at this point.

If winds are right (NE, SE) you can kite pretty much anywhere in Corolla on the ocean side. Sound side gets a little more tricky and to be honest I am not to familiar with that area in regards to kiting. Seems there is always better wind south of Corolla and Duck. Depending on traffic and where you are staying Windmill and Jockey's Ridge are your closest bets at under an hour drive. Waves area is next and over an hour drive, close to hour and half. Avon south is probably close to two hours from Corolla. Corolla seems to also get more afternoon storms than the rest of the area. So keep in mind that it might be storming in Corolla and even Kill Devil Hills, but could be perfect SW winds with blue skies in Waves.

Good luck and I hope you get some good weather.
- C

JerseyPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook to Kite Island
Style: powered
Brand Affiliation: consumer

Postby JerseyPride » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks for the info.

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 757, 252
Style: Wake
Gear: LF HiFi's, Influence 138, LF Cabs
Brand Affiliation: Wave Riding Vehicle Surfboards

Postby nab1000 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:34 pm

there is always a 30% chance of thunderstorms down here. It is an island in the ocean. Usually late late afternoon. Get stoked its going to be SW and windy. Don't forget to make the 45 min drive down to waves, nc and check out the good riding spots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”