Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

wind-x monsoonz 17 - any users out there?

Forum for kitesurfers
merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

wind-x monsoonz 17 - any users out there?

Postby merl » Mon May 11, 2009 10:36 am

Anyone here own a monsoonz 17?

Just picked up one cheap and have a few questions:
  • is it possible/useful to convert it to a 1:1 bar setting?
  • can they be launched solo by tying the chicken loop to a fixed object?
Anything else worth knowing about these monsters?

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Re: wind-x monsoonz 17 - any users out there?

Postby merl » Wed May 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Nobody?

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Geronimo79 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:40 pm

maybe use the search options a little.. there were plenty of wind-x monsoon 17m users topics.
or contact wind-x dealer near you?

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Postby FckGravity » Wed May 13, 2009 2:24 pm

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby merl » Fri May 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Saw those - but yeah thanks - it would probably be best to post specific questions on those threads.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sat May 16, 2009 12:35 am

just sell it. i'm not kidding.

randrian
Rare Poster

Postby randrian » Sat May 16, 2009 7:52 am

I had one and sold it as it was to large for our gusty wind on bavaria lakes.

1:1 is probably not possible, but never tried. Quite an effort in 2:1 mode, so I don´t see it.
Launch with fixed chicken loop should work.

Else: A monster and really flying. Slow.

Rolf

rikyboard80
Medium Poster

Postby rikyboard80 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:24 pm

I have both the 14m and the 17m

They both have HUGE bar pressure. To turn the kite a "power steering bar" would be almost needed. The low end of the 17m is in between the flysurfer speed2 15m and the 19m. Better then 15m but a tad worst then 19m. Of course the price difference is huge.

1:1 is possible but the kite will become almost unresponsive while the bar pressure will become ver acceptable. But like I wrote the kite will take about 10 seconds to steer. LOL

I used to self launch the kite without any help. Just like u would want to do with any other bow kite. Especially considering that u don't want to use that monster with more then 14knots, it's very safe to self launch it just pulling the bck line while sitting on the beach and letting it gently fly up. At least for me.

If it wasn't for the HUGE GIGANTIC TOTALLY UNREASONABLE bar pressure I would have loved to use it more often to cruise around with light winds.

merl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby merl » Wed May 20, 2009 7:04 pm

randrian wrote:I had one and sold it as it was to large for our gusty wind on bavaria lakes.

1:1 is probably not possible, but never tried. Quite an effort in 2:1 mode, so I don´t see it.
Launch with fixed chicken loop should work.

Rolf
Rolf that's funny dude. I just bought the kite from you!

Anyway I got to test the kite today. about 8-11 knots. 90kg rider using a spleene session (not really a lightwind board for someone of my weight - more of a quick planing allrounder).

The kite has a 1:1 bar - not a pully bar - so I don't know what you are on about Rolf - perhaps you used a different bar.

After the comments here I was surprised how good this kite is! With the 1:1 bar there is no problem with bar pressure at all. But yes it turns slow until it is moving through the sky.
But after 10 minutes I got used to it. It is a park and ride kite in any case. You dive it once and you are off. I found it fast through the air, very stable and with no back stall until the wind really dies.

I usually fly a speed silverarrow (modded with speed 2 depower bridle) so I know about light wind kiting. I found this had somewhat similar low end - but not as much as the unmodded 17 - but a lot more depower. I could not get anywhere near the jump height of the speed though - but I think I found the speed similar until I changed to the speed 2 bridle.

The construction of a ultra-flat is definitely a bit different from a regular bow, but I found that I could launch and land by connecting the chicken loop to a fixed object without any suprises. It also launches off the water and land easily.

I used to fly a Guerilla 18 so I also know about slow kites. I think an even longer bar would help this kite a bit. I used to use a massive 75cm bar. Unfashionable but did the job!

All in all this is a fine lightwind kite for a bigger person. It wouldn't suit a short-arse as you need long arms to get the benefit of the depower when in 1:1 mode.

As it happens I only bought this because I got it for a good price. I don't think it will replace my silver arrow (all that pumping!). Drop me a line if anyone is interested in buying it (in Europe). Recommended for fairly big guys for riding sea breezes. Forget lakes and lightweights. But I'll be happy to play with it a while longer....

randrian
Rare Poster

Postby randrian » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Merl ! That´s funny in deed: You are the buyer !

You are right, I´ve mixed up the 1:1 option. I started with an old Cabrinha Bar with 2:1 and switched to the original one, which is 1:1 and 60cm bar length. Was about the same bar pressure.
I had quite the same impression as you and we have quite a lot of Flysurfer Silverarrows here in Bavaria as the company sits here. Usually we were the last ones in light conditions on the lakes.

Rolf

Return to “Kitesurfing”