Free Range Chicken Hook...idea feedback requested

Forum for kitesurfers
kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Free Range Chicken Hook...idea feedback requested

Postby kitezilla » Mon May 25, 2009 12:14 am

Wow, thanks for the suggestions and precautions! I'll respond to each idea in future posts, but let me present an idea, illustrated with pictures (of course) right now. The idea is that of the "Hooded" Free Range Chicken Hook. From the following pictures, you can see that the sliding, spring loaded "Hood" would serve three functions:

(1) that of the traditional "Chicken Finger" (aka Donkey Richard)
(2) that of the push-away Mushroom style release slider, triggering the hook release mechanism
(3) that of shielding the kiter's fingers from components of the swinging hook, when activating the swing-hook release
(4) that of hiding the hook in a funnel-like enclosure, as its “default” spring-loaded return position, and thereby preventing accidental hook-ups, during episodes of runaway kite activity, where the bar is being dragged through other kiteboarders or their equipment.

The pictures show a "mock-up" of the "Hood" or "shroud" concept, which I have constructed from PVC (just because it is quick and easy to work with). I think that a true working model of this shrouded hook could be made, which would be about half the size of the one in the pictures, and constructed from rubber, plastic, nylon or metal.

Features:

A. The "Hood" is bungee or spring-loaded, so that the "Hood" automatically returns, to a position, where it covers the hook mechanism.

B. To exposed the hook, in order to hook into the rope, the "Hood" is pushed half-way toward the bar, into position "one", where an "O-ring" presents enough resistance to hold the "Hood" in the position, in which the hook is able to receive the rope, in a space of about 2.5 cm, between the end of the hook and the edge of the "Hood".

C. The “Hood” could then be pulled gently back, off of the “O” ring, where the spring would ease it back into the default position, where the “Hood” covers the hook, and acts in the manner or a “chicken finger” to retain the hook on the rope.

D. In order to trigger the swing-hook release mechanism, which will disconnect the hook from the rope, the “Hood” is pushed all the way to the bar, traveling through “position one”, where resistance is felt from the “O” ring, and then, proceeding to “position two”, where a tensioned spectra line connector pulls the trigger release.

E. As the hook swings open and the rope is released, the power of the released kite exerts its force, and the “Hood”, is first pulled back, covering up the components of the swing-hook…and then, is actively jerked from the kiter’s hand, just as the traditional Cahbrina “mushroom” slider handle is jerked away from the kiter. The “Hood” protects the kiter’s hand, when the release occurs, funneling the hand out and away from danger.

The pictures should be self-explanatory, demonstrating the above design features. A properly made device would have a smooth funnel shape, a reduced hook size, and would be much lighter in weight and smaller in size. Hopefully, the pictures will stimulate your thoughts on the ways to improve and refine this concept.

………………………
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (124.81 KiB) Viewed 368 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (121.82 KiB) Viewed 368 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (118.8 KiB) Viewed 367 times

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon May 25, 2009 12:31 am

Pictures showing activation of the swing-hook release...

The first picture shows the "O" ring, which causes a "slight hesitation" of the "Hood".

The second picture shows the "Hood" in position "one", where the resistance from rubbing over the the "O" ring causes a "stickiness" (which the kiter can feel) and results in the hesitation of the "Hood", and this allows the kiter to put both hands back on the bar and initiate the hook-in procedure onto the rope ( this picture shows the position "one" feature, as described above).

The third picture shows the "Hood" in position "two", where it triggers the release.
Attachments
4.JPG
4.JPG (120.53 KiB) Viewed 362 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (120.84 KiB) Viewed 363 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (122.94 KiB) Viewed 362 times

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon May 25, 2009 12:47 am

More pictures of the release in action...showing how the kiter's hand is funneled out of the way of the components of the swing-hook mechanism. The pictures give you an idea of how a smooth funnel "Hood" would act to prevent the hook from snagging on equipment and body parts, in the case of a "run away" kite. A properly made device would not have the gap, shown in the pictures, and could cover up even more of the hook, if needed.
Attachments
7.JPG
7.JPG (118.6 KiB) Viewed 357 times
8.JPG
8.JPG (120.72 KiB) Viewed 355 times

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon May 25, 2009 1:24 am

Here are pictures of two models of "roped" bars, which I have tested and found to be very comfortable. The first picture shows the second generation "escape rope" bar, which has the mechanism covered, and when tested, I was surprised to find it worked perfectly the very first time I pulled the release. I would always use this "escape rope" bar, if I were to use a "Hooded" hook mechanism, just for safety redundancy.

The second picture shows my favorite bar, so far. I would not use a hook with it, but am very happy using a sliding ring and a Tylaska release shackle (the expensive one, that is reliable).

The reason I show these 2 pictures is for motivational reasons...do this...Imagine that everything has not gone according to plan, and that you are getting worked in the surf....tumbling, head-over-heels, totally out of control, just trying to not lose your air...

Now, imagine yourself dressed like this...because this is what you would look like, after you triggered your release...no hook to catch lines on, during the potential "mummy wrap"...additionally, all the buckles on your harness, could be covered with neoprene covers or electrical tape...virtually, all places for loose lines to snag...eliminated...

I think that this represents a realistic goal, for the future..."Just say 'NO' to snags"...and having a simple rope around your waist, that itself, can be released, seems like a good place to begin to accomplish this...not to mention the ability to comfortably ride toeside in the surf with strapless boards...I think that is the future also, and this system may be in harmony with that discipline ...especially beneficial for those kiters who wish to wear seat harnesses.

These are the things that have gotten me fired up about this project.
Attachments
kf-escape rope bar covered.JPG
kf-escape rope bar covered.JPG (115.33 KiB) Viewed 353 times
pvc bar.JPG
pvc bar.JPG (110.73 KiB) Viewed 351 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”