All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: being hated on near airport in RI
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:53 pm 
Rare Poster

Everytime I go kitting in quonset point the airport calls the fuzz and the harbor master on me. Last Time I was able to out run them and had to hide in the tick infested brush for hours as north kingstown police wear searching for me. obvisouly their handing out court apparance tickets so I'm not stopping for nobody anymore I got into this sport cause I thought it would keep me out of trouble but guess not . I can fly my kite their from oct-mid may but as soon as the rich mo-fo's gotta fly their stank butts to nantucket they be hate-in on me. the planes are at least 3 to 4 times as high as my kite over my head. so whats the problem.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: being hated on near airport in RI
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

well,
if you are launching at compass rose beach next to EB,
I'm certain that you have noticed that you are directly in line with small planes on final approach to a strip that begins less than 100 yds to the north.
so they 'may' be at 300 ft while passing the beach but their goal is to touch down shortly.

I'm sure you can imagine a mutual need for the same air space and a definite distraction from someone who cannot chat with the folks guiding traffic.

I've been there, and asked to leave by the nice folks in the tower.
I doubt its a battle worth persuing , as there are other launches near by.

regards,
-bill

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

interesting... how close is it? heres a pic of our local beach and the airport is right in line with where we kite. We havent had a problem that I know of.
Airport is: A
Launch spot is: 1

Attachments:
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png [ 792.22 KIB | Viewed 156 times ]
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:48 pm 
Frequent Poster

There are Federal Aviation Regs...

101.7 Hazardous operations.
(a) No person may operate any moored balloon, kite, unmanned rocket, or unmanned free balloon in a manner that creates a hazard to other persons, or their property.

101.13 Operating limitations.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate a moored balloon or kite—

(1) Less than 500 feet from the base of any cloud;

(2) More than 500 feet above the surface of the earth;

(3) From an area where the ground visibility is less than three miles; or

(4) Within five miles of the boundary of any airport.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to the operation of a balloon or kite below the top of any structure and within 250 feet of it, if that shielded operation does not obscure any lighting on the structure.

This is the reason for the no kite zones on Maui...
http://www.mauikiteboardingassociation.com/kitemaps.html
They have a FAA Waiver that allows kitesurfing activity within the 5 mile restricted zone too (needs to be renewed every 2 yrs). More info about all this at that link.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:26 pm 
Frequent Poster

Is this the airport, near North Kingston?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=north+kingstown,+ri&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.847644,38.232422&ie=UTF8&ll=41.590604,-71.412334&spn=0.015599,0.018668&t=h&z=15

:o

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

markos250 wrote:
Everytime I go kitting in quonset point the airport calls the fuzz and the harbor master on me. Last Time I was able to out run them and had to hide in the tick infested brush for hours as north kingstown police wear searching for me. obvisouly their handing out court apparance tickets so I'm not stopping for nobody anymore I got into this sport cause I thought it would keep me out of trouble but guess not . I can fly my kite their from oct-mid may but as soon as the rich mo-fo's gotta fly their stank butts to nantucket they be hate-in on me. the planes are at least 3 to 4 times as high as my kite over my head. so whats the problem.

Yo Markos thats some funny shit, it sucks but funny :lol: I have never know anyone to have to run from 5-0 for kiting. You are the first I have heard of!

Good shit! keep it up!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

old but funny

[ 7 posts ]