Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Rebel 2009 Origami problem

Postby tux » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Once happened also to me, I was kitelooping and when I've realized i was too close to the shore, i've tryed stop my rotation and I've pulled the bar very hard making a lot of resistence in the wather with the board, The kite closed in two and the sheet have gone over the leading edge blocking the kite in 2, after the kite was floating in the water like an origami swann. It is a rebel 9. I think i would not be able to repeat it also by gambling. I've used my kite really a lot and never happened something similar no more.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1812
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:57 pm

wjb wrote: Pump them to 8psi or take the gauge off and just pump them til they are hard and you will have no problems at all.

I hear people complain about a kite companys response to problems. Buy from a good dealer and you will not have these problems. It is their job to handle these for you. Mine is Hunter at Gokitesurf.com and I can not recommend him highly enough. :thumb:

Was pumped up correctly...........still had the problems described.
Does not self launch correctly (like you can with the five line C kites) with the fifth line set up they designed, it's not designed and executed well. Cannot self land correctly. The centerline and the front and back line attachment points are not in the right place in relation to each other and are not the correct lengths in relation to each other. The 16M 2008 turns inside out after it hits the water and does not relaunch properly at least half the time.

As I mentioned, the dealer recommended the exact opposite solution as North did and then did their best to try to apologize for North's lack of response.

wjb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wjb » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:34 pm

Chrys wrote:
wjb wrote: Pump them to 8psi or take the gauge off and just pump them til they are hard and you will have no problems at all.

I hear people complain about a kite companys response to problems. Buy from a good dealer and you will not have these problems. It is their job to handle these for you. Mine is Hunter at Gokitesurf.com and I can not recommend him highly enough. :thumb:

Was pumped up correctly...........still had the problems described.
Does not self launch correctly (like you can with the five line C kites) with the fifth line set up they designed, it's not designed and executed well. Cannot self land correctly. The centerline and the front and back line attachment points are not in the right place in relation to each other and are not the correct lengths in relation to each other. The 16M 2008 turns inside out after it hits the water and does not relaunch properly at least half the time.

As I mentioned, the dealer recommended the exact opposite solution as North did and then did their best to try to apologize for North's lack of response.
I am not sure what you are talking about self launching like a c-kite as it is not a c kite in which you sand a corner to launch. I self launch all the time with no problem bow style. Your comments about the lines in relation to each other does not make sense. I don't have problems water relaunching either. The only thing I can think of is you are trying to kite when there is virtually no wind. I don't even know anybody who has a 16m anymore. My biggest is a 12m 08 North Rhino and I weigh 210 lbs. Pump the kite to 8lbs (verify that you gauge is correct first) and I am sure you will have no more problems. Also have your dealer get North to send you the center support line. My dealer had North send them to me. It was no charge. I hope your problem gets resolved.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:27 am

wjb wrote:
Chrys wrote:
wjb wrote: :thumb:
I am not sure what you are talking about self launching like a c-kite as it is not a c kite in which you sand a corner to launch. I self launch all the time with no problem bow style. Your comments about the lines in relation to each other does not make sense. I don't have problems water relaunching either. The only thing I can think of is you are trying to kite when there is virtually no wind. I don't even know anybody who has a 16m anymore. My biggest is a 12m 08 North Rhino and I weigh 210 lbs. Pump the kite to 8lbs (verify that you gauge is correct first) and I am sure you will have no more problems. Also have your dealer get North to send you the center support line. My dealer had North send them to me. It was no charge. I hope your problem gets resolved.
Five line kite designs are for fifth line safety upon release, for self launch and self landing and for water relaunch, right? This one doesn't do these things well. You don't need five lines to self launch bow style. :idea: He is not using sand on wingtips for launch (no beach, no sand) self launch from a stationary object (post) in the ground. Hook the leash to post, hook other end of the the leash to the chicken loop, set the kite downwind on the fifth and fronts (if the lines are all the correct lengths and attached to the LE in the right places, that is), pick up your bar and walk yourself around until in correct position and just launch the kite as easy as can be. Works perfect on a SS Fuel or a SS Machine every time. Works like.. not at all... on the 16M Rebel kite. 270 pound guys still ride 16M kites! Gauge is correct and kite is at 8PSI, been verified on three pumps, two manual and one expensive electric, kite turns inside out after it hits the water. The kite was just not designed and executed correctly, simple as that. North did not offer any solution or advise for this rider. Eventually, the kite went back to the dealer. The rider in question here started with kites and a surfboard in the early 1990's and has flown more kite models/brands/styles over the years than anybody I've ever met. The problem has been resolved. He flies Waimann and Slingshots at the moment. :thumb:
Last edited by L0KI on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kylek
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Metro, Kobyashi
Favorite Beaches: Guajiru, Salvo
Gear: old north stuff

Postby kylek » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:45 pm

I flew and loved the 08 16m Rebel, fast turning big kite. Im 210 lbs and used it over 50 times last year. Never once had any issue with inversion or any other problem.

I ride unhooked lots and drop the bar 5 or more times per session. Relaunches from flagged on 5th line no problem if the relaunch bungies are attached.

Self lands easier and cleaner than any other kite Ive used. I teach with Rebels too and my students have no problems with "self exit / self rescue" in the water after simulating on dryland. Chrys, I think you had a bad kite/lineset or had it rigged wrong.

Self Launches no problem - drift launch. My students also have no issues. btw, I use 6,9, and 12 m for teaching.

I have had the '09s fold up several times when soft. Never happened when pumped firm and now less likely with noseline upgrade. Rgbar - I'll take a pic next time out. It is a simple line that connects the pump leash connector to the 'Y' of the 5 line 'bridle'.

maybe issues stem from handling the Rebel 5th line like you do your fuel/machine c's?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:20 pm

kylek wrote: I think you had a bad kite/lineset
Not me, but yeah.... he had a bad kite/lineset.
The bigger problem seemed to be the inability for North to care to deal with him in any way.
Slingshot and Ocean Rodeo (to name a couple) would never have let it go the way it went.

Return to “Kitesurfing”