Favorite Beaches: Soma Bay
Style: beginner
Gear: ?
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Explain to beginner differences between CB IDS13 vs SB ids12

Postby qwero » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:22 am

As a very beginner I have decided at last to purchase CB ids13m but it is not more available in Germany in the moment. My instructor recommend me SB ids 12m as proper substitution for me. Can you people - really kiters, explain me what is feature difference between the two kites and what should I await or face with SB as very beginner (still problem with simple ride to left direction)? I suppose to ride 148 board (maybe Prodigy or would you recommend a Mako??) with my weight 87 kg. ( I do understand wind - previous windsurfer)
Thanks for your comments and advices.

bartofslaves
Rare Poster

Re: Explain to beginner differences between CB IDS13 vs SB ids12

Postby bartofslaves » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:35 pm

well its not that easy when it comes to board
If u have alot of money and just dont care spending em, buy urself such a big board like 148 - it surely will skyrocket ur learning process. But, if u have a chance to rent a big board for first few sessions, buy somethin like 133 (for example Cabrinha Custom, i got it myself, really nice twintip with a "wake" feeling), and just learn on the rented one till u learn going upwind well.

I personally got 9 and 13 Xbow ids. Nice kites, nothing wrong with em, except u need a lot of power in ur arms so it can be a little exhausting (especially that stopper override units is a piece of shit:). For hooked riding, speed, they are the ones to choose. Switchblade needs less power on the bar and is made for riding unhooked (or it was supposed to be so:). Anyway, both kites should suit u great because lets face it, they are not so different designs. Whats great is the IDS function, which, without 5th line, allows you to have benefits of it.

Riding left side (I suppose u are goofy-legged). U live in germany, a lot of wakeboard lifts there. Bring ur kitesurfing board there, unscrew fins and try doing 180 from right leg in front, to both in front to left in front. I suppose thats the best way to learn it, because u dont have to wait for wind, dont have to watch where ur board felt and so on. I strongly recommend that:)

Cheers mate and remember, whichever kite of cabrinha u will get, as a beginner u propably wont feel much of difference:) (when I crash my kites im gonna get SB's next for a try:)

qwero
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Neusiedler See

Postby qwero » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:04 pm

@bart
thanks for ur comments. Anyhow u confirmed my presumptions that I will not be able to feel diferences of the kites but I like to get some advices from "profies" which one would be more suitable for beginner and whether SB is not absolutely out of rookie´s abilities (unhooked ride is not my aim in next time).

And what about some other kite proposals or delta kites? How do u find ´em for beginners?

Left side ride - I am going to train that with motor boat, construction to pull bar "sloping up". This way I like to avoid purchasing a big board but do u suppose the143 - 148 board is still big for my weight?
RGDS and thanks for anybodies reply.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:27 pm

for what I know SB is fore sure ok for beginner and advanced, and even better than Crossbow (but not tried last version). 12m is ok to go in >12kts with your wheight

About the board, you need something big with your wheight and to learn, I'd suggest to buy a door (not monster, a 154x42 or similar) or other similar boards with this shape, with these plane and going upwind would be fair easier and faster thatn with a shorter boards. there are also cheaper boards similar (trans?), and even a MAko 150 wide could be ok if you're planning to use it on a very choppy spot.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:10 pm

qwero:
let me start with the board...yes the 133 custom is a GREAT board as is the 138, BUT they are NOT for beginners..too much rocker which requires more kite power to get them going and more difficult to go upwind. The new Prodigys are great for new people, big people, and lighter wind. At your weight, the 148 will be good. Too many beginners make the mistake of getting too small a board; don't make the same mistake.

Kites:
the 2009 13m XB IDS is the replacement for the 2008 14 Contra and has the same power...14m. You as well a many before you have leaned on BOTH, the XB and the SB so I don't believe it makes any difference. The XB has 2 different setting; one for light "bar pressure" and one for lighter. The lighter is similar to the bar pressure for the 2008 SB. The XB has 7 struts and is more stable than the SB. The XB also has more wind range. The XB is slower turning than the SB, but turns in a smaller arch. The XB IDS cost a little bit more than the SB IDS, but the the 2010 XB IDS is scheduled to be available mid July and therefore you should be able to get a great deal now.

The SB IDS 12 will have less power than the 13 XB but more than most 12s on the market. It also has two "bar pressure" settings..light and lighter. The light is similar to the 2008 SB and the lighter
is lighter than the XB. The SB turns faster than the XB but in a larger arch.

Both the XB and the SB are known as high performance kites and you will not outgrow either. Both are stable, easy to fly right out of the bag, and easy to relaunch...so excellent for beginners as well. Both have probably the best safety system on the market.
steve

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:10 pm

As an owner of XB IDS 9/13m2 and since I've never tried the SB IDS, I cannot say anything else than that the 13m2 Crossbow is a REALLY nice kite. Fun to loop, stable, hangtime, range, light bar pressure (after 4 seasons on bows, my arms are quite strong though :lol: )

kitesafeflorida
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Any beach without garbage on it!!!!
Style: Waves and flatwater
Gear: Cabrinha IDS kites and boards. Nobile boards as well.
Brand Affiliation: Watersports West and Cabrinha

Postby kitesafeflorida » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Ride both kite alot.

CB13 is much more powerful and has a better low end than the 12SB.
CB13 will not have the same high end as 12SB.
CB13 is slower than 12SB. Very noticeable.

Both great all around kites for beginner through advanced, however, the 12SB will suit you better to unhook. I don't know how heavy 50kg is, but if you are close to 200 lbs, wait for the 13CB. If you are between 150-175, then get the 12SB. If between 175-200 you could do either kite.

The big difference is the CB13 is a more powerful kite. I would compare it to the SB14 in power and range.

Good luck

qwero
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Neusiedler See

Postby qwero » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:01 pm

@florida
thx, nice, short, hit off.
Can you or somebody pls.compare even how the kites are stable, their water relaunch in limited conditions (low or high end), upwind ride, behaviour in gusts and other their features important for beginners ? As newbie still I miss a proper feeling but hope to go better with proper gear. (board suppose to be Mako 150; 87 kg is app. 190 lbs.)
Thanks in advance

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:55 pm

for beginner both are ok, the CB is a bit more powerful, so better if in your area wind is very light

kitesafeflorida
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Any beach without garbage on it!!!!
Style: Waves and flatwater
Gear: Cabrinha IDS kites and boards. Nobile boards as well.
Brand Affiliation: Watersports West and Cabrinha

Postby kitesafeflorida » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:14 pm

If your 190lbs, I would steer towards the CB13 unless you are in good winds all the time 15-25knts

They are both very stable.
SB will relaunch a bit easier.
CB will go upwind a bit better.

I think it boils down to range for you. Again, a CB13 is alot like a SB14 in range. At your weight and level, I would choose the larger kite, unless you are in solid wind most of the time.

Return to “Kitesurfing”