Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kook Proof Line Connection - are we there yet?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kook Proof Line Connection - are we there yet?

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:28 pm

don't forget mixing bars etc. This can confuse riders.

Why two systems? Then it is not kook proof again.

Make it one, where is the problem?

hosko
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hosko » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Cabrinha's system is essentially 100% kook proof. The left front and rear pigtails on the lines and kite are yellow and the right front and rear's are dark grey. The front lines have knots and the back lines have larks.

If you struggle at the concept of connecting yellow to yellow, grey to grey I guess you can stuff it up but this is bloody hard to do.
don't forget mixing bars etc. This can confuse riders.

Why two systems? Then it is not kook proof again.

Make it one, where is the problem?
I use to have Ozone pigtails on my Best Bar and Waroo kites which used blue and red. I have recently switched to a Cabrinha bar so changed all my pigtails over to the Cabrinha yellow/grey system.

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Postby Don Lester » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:43 pm

I don't think that knots or loops is as confusing as different line colors..............

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Ocean Rodeo = A

skifly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kohi, St Heliers & Poing Chev
Style: whatever tickles
Gear: erm... thats the problem!

Postby skifly » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:09 am

naish = A (there is a larks head on the front grey lines coming from the bar, with knots on the end of the blue or red back lines).

On the naish kites there are adjustment knots on the bridle for the front lines.

KIT33R
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cronulla, Kurnell, Botany Bay - Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Cocos Islands, Elliott Heads, Queensland. Green Island NSW south coast, Huskisson NSW south coast.
Style: wave
Gear: Kites - Ozone Reos, Boards - Axis Twinwave, Shinnster, Cabrinha X-Breed Foil, Shinn P foil

Postby KIT33R » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:38 am

The Cabrinah system of colour coding and front lines with knots and the back lines larks works very well until you repalce your lines with a non Cabrinah product because the Cab lines are very expensive. I replaced my Cab lines with Ozones, which are cheaper but first rate. It removes the colour coding issue and you need to add pigtails to reverse the larks and knots but they can be colour coded.

hosko
Rare Poster

Postby hosko » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:49 am

KIT33R wrote:The Cabrinah system of colour coding and front lines with knots and the back lines larks works very well until you repalce your lines with a non Cabrinah product because the Cab lines are very expensive. I replaced my Cab lines with Ozones, which are cheaper but first rate. It removes the colour coding issue and you need to add pigtails to reverse the larks and knots but they can be colour coded.
You can just take the pigtails off the old lines and add them to your new ones. They also sell just the pigtails which is what I have used on both my Best Waroo's. I have a Cab 55cm bar and a Best 45cm bar which both have the Cab Kook proof system.

It took me all of 10mins to set the system up on both kites and the Best bar (the Cab bar came with it already setup). Now it is really difficult for me to stuff up putting the lines on the wrong points of the kite. Yellow to Yellow, Grey to Grey and you physically can't connect the back lines to front and vise versa.

I don't know why all kites don't come with this as standard even red and blue pigtails with different larks/knots on front and black would work.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 am

I don't know why all kites don't come with this as standard even red and blue pigtails with different larks/knots on front and black would work.
I agree. It is so simple, and no extra costs involved for the production.
It should be A or B, let's see what the majority uses, then we should get in touch with the companies to get this done asap.

The left backline should be red with red pigtails, the right backline another color, and the front lines can be white or grey or whatever.

hosko
Rare Poster

Postby hosko » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:52 am

I have to say Kiteboarding stores should be leading the charge. Even if a kite/bar setup doesn't have come kook proofed they should be pushing the customer to do it after market. Its only a couple of bucks more and should be stressed to people how it will prevent them from connecting the wrong lines and prevent serious injury.

My local kite store sold me on the idea when I brought in a second hand kite and bar I had just purchased to get the lines and kite looked at. Now any kite or bar I purchase I upgrade to the Cabrinha system to be on the safe side.

andrek
Medium Poster
Gear: Krush2
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko Kites -Poland

Postby andrek » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:54 am

Zeeko = A

Return to “Kitesurfing”