Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Eclipse Surge

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Eclipse Surge

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Felix please get back to work. No break time or play time.
Attachments
IMG_8439.jpg

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Eclipse SURGE

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:15 pm

felixeclipse wrote:Yes we do have a wave kite and it works a treat.(different stroke's for different folks)

I really believe that everyone has a different taste for how they want a kite to feel. No matter if you ride wave's or ride wake style .This is why we give the choice Felix
Good concept :thumb:
Are you guys planning to develop with now Bill on board a specific light wind kite,
which perhaps will be able to compete with the EH Ovando :?:
Don't forget most of the places you don't have the average wind more than 15 knots :!:

Also are going to develop a special unspin bar like the Core Bar or Flysurfer's Infinity Bar,
what I'm using and what nobody else has :?:

DrLW

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Eclipse SURGE

Postby Hansen Design » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:56 am

DRL:
A light wind specific kite currently is not on our punchlist. We have explored some new 'ground' at the edge of the window which might help future development but this is a Surge 'C' thread so probably best to keep it there. In the meantime, a light wind thread would be informative where the actual criteria is established for a proficient light wind kite with a realistic understanding of the physical limitations placed on the boards, kites and riding style in sub-10 knot winds.
DrLightWind wrote:Are you guys planning to develop a specific light wind kite...

hugoso
Rare Poster

Postby hugoso » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 am

Cute pic. Felix and puppy both have puppy eyes and dark/blonde hair.

Thanks for your time to personally be on this forum. You've convinced me to give it a try.

What's the best way to relaunch the Surge?

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:12 pm

JGTR wrote:
im stuck waiting on friends to untangle bridles, swim ashore their inverted kites, fix blocked pulleys, untangle wrapped 5th lines
You must kite with some proper idiots, we regulary have over 50 kites at my local spot and I rarely see people having the problems that you seem to have at your spot, maybe they need some extra tuition or proper lessons :?:

Jay
i've rolled my kite and had to come in to re-rig plenty. not sure how crash and tangles makes anyone an idiot. my personal observation is that 4 line Cs rolling in the surf after a big crash have less chance of tangling than bridled and 5 line kites. could be your beach is full of really smart kiters that never crash and burn. to each his own.

felixeclipse
Medium Poster
Gear: Eclipse
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse,Billabong

Postby felixeclipse » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 am

Hey Guys and Girls
Just posted a clip on kiteforum.tv
To give you a sneak peek at how the Surge Goes.
The video features the 7m and 11m in the yellow color
Enjoy
Felix

felixeclipse
Medium Poster
Gear: Eclipse
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse,Billabong

Postby felixeclipse » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:24 am

Chungmu
Frequent Poster

Postby Chungmu » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:39 pm

One of the advantages to living on the Outer Banks is that I often get to try some of the new kites from Eclipse before they go to production. Just the other day I was fortunate enough to be kiting when Dimitri showed up with one of the new Surge kites. I was able to spend about 15 - 20 minutes on it before I had to rush back to work. First off the kite was a 9m and a little small for the gusty winds that day. I was originally on a 12m before switching and I am not really what I would consider a light weight. Here are some of the things I noticed...

- Build quality seems on par with other Eclipse kites and design is very clean and simple which I like.
- No bridals or anything like that and appears to be a straight up C kite.
- Attachment point on center of LE for a 5th line or other types of line attachment.
- If I remember right this kite was not a one pump. Not sure if that is an option or not.
- LE was not very thick but not what I would consider small for a 9m kite.
- Very smooth transition from LE to canopy. Struts were mostly straight with no bends in them like some.
- The kite flies way forward in the window and seems to handle nicely there.
- Responds quickly when at the leading edge of the wind window. Seemed a little slower in responding when not there. I would say it is slower in pivoting than the Thruster for sure.
- When turning the kite moves through the wind window with a consistant pull which is similar to other C kites I have ridden in the past. Once again seems a little slow compared to the Thruster.
- One big thing I noticed was that the kite was fairly consistant in the power and pull. Even in the gusts it was really smooth. Not like my old C kites that always seemed to be jerking me around.
- Does seem to have the ability to depower more than my old C kites which was nice.
- Kite arc did seem to diminish when power diving the kite which seemed a little strange to me. In other words the tips seemed to come together more when doing power strokes with the kite.
- Does not jump like the Thruster but is probably similar to a normal C kite.
- Strange vibration felt in the bar which I was not sure if it was from something on the kite or the bar setup.
- When riding towards the kite as if on a wave the kite handles very nice. Drifts back a little but remains responsive and appeared to not stall even in gusty conditions.
- Did not try anything unhooked, wish I had though. If I get another chance I will definately try unhooking, for both waves and tricks.

Bottom line is I liked the kite but not sure I am ready to go back to C kites because of it. I still love my Thrusters and my Kima is great in the waves. Others looking for a serious C kite should try and demo it at some point. I think there is still a little fine tuning to be done on the kite but it should be a great kite by the time it goes to production.
Attachments
surge1.jpg
surge1.jpg (16.59 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

Tightlines
Medium Poster

Postby Tightlines » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:25 am

dvntsurf wrote:Rich, interesting idea. But lets not over complicate this kite. The whole appeal of this kite is its simplicity.

Features like no 5th line, works on a fixed bar, light weight but sturdy, has good depower on a CL but flys nice and forward in the window and hopefully independent inflation on the struts.

For a kite like that I would gladly deal with rigid battens - and put them in my board bag for any overseas trip. I will never use anything bigger than the 7 - maybe the battens on the 9 and 11 will be a pain - but will be less than 6ft so they can still go in your brd bag!

Looking forward to trying out the surge once it is released - will have to find out who the WA distributors for Eclipse are.
Cheers
Tim
Hi Tim

Eclipse kites are available in Australia through http://www.kiteboardingshop.co.nz/, I believe there will be an Aussie website up shortly.
I currently have demo's available of the 6 and 9 Kima's and 12 Thruster in Perth (mainly riding at Mullaloo and Floreat - Brighton) and will be trying to get my hands on a Surge as soon as I can.
I am a long time surfer but fairly new to kiting and missed the whole C kite era, but am curious to try a Surge.
I am really enjoying the Kima's in the waves, and wonder if (having never really flown C's) I will be able to adapt my flying technique enough to appreciate the Surge or stick to flying the Kima's.

Cheers
Kent

dvntsurf
Rare Poster

Postby dvntsurf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:54 am

Thanks Kent

We should catch up for kite sometime and you can have go on my current c-kites. I'd be keen to try a kima and the surge when you get your hands on it. I will message you.

I don't have much experience with anything but c's - but I reckon you might like them.

Cheers
Tim

Return to “Kitesurfing”