Gear: Eclipse
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse,Billabong
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Eclipse Surge

Postby felixeclipse » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:17 am

Hi guys to answer a few questions

Richswing

I have to say for me a forward flying kite is the way to go.(does not matter if you ride backhand or front side)Its just makes life alot easier with out the need for a chicken loop for some trying to ride unhooked. Your kite really wont drag you as much when going towards it. If its sitting in that forward part of the window it makes your kiting experience a little more pleasant than getting hauled of your rail as your kites sitting too deep.

A Forward sitting kite means no power. Not these days, with over 12 years of kite design it is now possible to get the best of both worlds

Like ripitup mentioned it is really hard to find a kite that does both.

Back in the day it was one or the other.

With the Surge we have found that we could combine the two and have a really happy kite.

As for depower, Surff on this kite I can tell you that your right you will not find the depower of an SLE.

The surge is designed to be ridden on a chicken loop that makes the kite forgiving to any rider wanting a C kite feel with True power. Most riders on a C really ride with 6 inches of throw or less or just stopper ball to fix it off.

With relaunch a lot of people today think you click a button and your kite is up again...Well not so much, with any design it takes practice and technique.

I personally still cant relaunch a bow.But do well on a C.

Finalizing some of the sizes right now and trying to capture some video to give you a little more insight on the surge before it is released mid to late sep

Thanks for your interest

Felix

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby prayfawind27 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:07 am

felixeclipse wrote:Hi guys to answer a few questions

Richswing

I have to say for me a forward flying kite is the way to go.(does not matter if you ride backhand or front side)Its just makes life alot easier with out the need for a chicken loop for some trying to ride unhooked. Your kite really wont drag you as much when going towards it. If its sitting in that forward part of the window it makes your kiting experience a little more pleasant than getting hauled of your rail as your kites sitting too deep.

A Forward sitting kite means no power. Not these days, with over 12 years of kite design it is now possible to get the best of both worlds

Like ripitup mentioned it is really hard to find a kite that does both.

Back in the day it was one or the other.

With the Surge we have found that we could combine the two and have a really happy kite.

As for depower, Surff on this kite I can tell you that your right you will not find the depower of an SLE.

The surge is designed to be ridden on a chicken loop that makes the kite forgiving to any rider wanting a C kite feel with True power. Most riders on a C really ride with 6 inches of throw or less or just stopper ball to fix it off.

With relaunch a lot of people today think you click a button and your kite is up again...Well not so much, with any design it takes practice and technique.

I personally still cant relaunch a bow.But do well on a C.

Finalizing some of the sizes right now and trying to capture some video to give you a little more insight on the surge before it is released mid to late sep

Thanks for your interest

Felix

:angryfire: i personally asked about pricing, 3 different times if you don't want to answer that question, then that's fine you have that right, but at least say you're not going to, don't ignore the question and i also and another rider, asked bout the bar, pictures,etc

felixeclipse
Medium Poster

Postby felixeclipse » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:44 am

Hey Mate
Sorry for that did not mean to leave you out.
I wish I could answer your price question. But this is something I have no idea about just yet.
Soon as I do I will let you know.
Send me a PM with your details and I will make sure you get it as soon as I find out.
Sorry for that.

Another question was about the wing tip
We are using battens giving the kite a second chance for performance if your L.E goes flat a bit thus keeping the wing tip stiff instead of folding when you give the kite steering input.

Giving it a crisp feel.

felixeclipse
Medium Poster

Postby felixeclipse » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:49 am

Bar for the Surge
Any 4 or 5 line bar works with the Surge just will take some trimming for your personal taste.
Morph bar will work a treat or even a stock pully bar from back in the day.

assmaster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby assmaster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:40 am

Can't relaunch a bow :o ...... you cant pull one line?

mikeBP
Rare Poster

Postby mikeBP » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Felix

The SURGE biggest size it's a 11m? In projected area? What's the equivalente Torch size for the 11 and the 9 surge/ windrange?
I'm wainting for a surge unhooked waveriding clip... :thumb:
Thanks

WAZP
Rare Poster

Postby WAZP » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Cant wait to see some videos, been waiting for a new C kite for a long time.... glad to see eclipse making some C kites. If they are as solid as you say you might just sell some. :naughty:

I think the C market is bigger then most people think, lots of guys on my beach looking to try them again.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:47 pm

the question is, if a hybrid is a C kite or not?

North says the Vegas is a hybrid...but isn't it a C?

And the Surge?

maybe someone can tell us exactly, what the difference is???

Bill?

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:33 pm

Hybrid is a loosely defined term for a large variety of kites and I'm not all that familiar with the other brands like North. Eclipse Surge is 100% C with some highly-refined technical parameters which are not obvious from the outward appearance.

Felix and I have spent considerable time investigating the effects of some rather subtle and not so subtle variations (some even extreme) to arrive at the end result. During this development we have taken the opportunity to allow experienced riders using other popular state-of-the-art C kites to have a go at the protos to verify our direction. There has been some questioning the 'revolutionary' label for what appears to be a very conventional kite and it may be a poor choice for a descriptive term but there are some aspects in the design which to my knowledge have never been done before and which allow the kite to perform in a way that 'classical' C kites do not. We are proud of the result and expect once the kites hit the water, the differences will become clear.

Return to “Kitesurfing”