Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The End of the REV - does anybody else find it sad?

Forum for kitesurfers
gravey
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The End of the REV - does anybody else find it sad?

Postby gravey » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:39 pm

What with the replacement of the REV with the new Octane, my kite of choice is now end of line. I would have liked to see this kite honored with yearly updates like the FUEL, but alas. It is not just re-branding, but also reworking of a completely new kite that see the REV disappear. I have a quiver of these bad boys and now they will be consigned to history. How do you guys feel? I am pretty pissed to see a much loved kite disappear.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The End of the REV - does anybody else find it sad?

Postby gbleck » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Um... are they going to suddenly stop making it or are you just assuming that they are not because they didn't put out a new model this 1/2 product cycle. I don't see the need to update a kite every year if it works and you can't improve it. No reason to come out with a new model if the only difference is graphics and or some unnecessary do hickey or tweak that makes the kite not work as well or just the same.

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby reyrivera » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 pm

shymac's post from my local forum:

http://bayareakiteboarding.com/index.ph ... f=1&t=7368

shymac wrote: Post subject: Re: new 2010 stuff!Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 am

Octane will be the replacement of the REV.

There will be too many changes to the kite to just go call it the REV3 or 2010 REV. So Octane it will be. Why the name change... Well for me it will be easier to explain what the differences between the two kites then all three; if they were named the same. Also it will add life to the new SLE for us. When all you here is REV REV REV it gets lost in the shuffle over time.

The Octane will be our wave specific kite for 2010. New bar and upgrades come along with the kite and more info will be out soon. I haven't been on one yet so no good info here and I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass...

But once I get my hands on salesman samples I will be Cali bound for some coastal demos. And I will be sure to let everyone know via BAY AREA KITE!

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:15 pm

The name change is almost like getting dump by your girlfriend.... Its sad for sure but over time you get over it and with the dump comes a new fresh one and hell she could be even better and badder then the last one... :naughty:

In most cases... HA!
Attachments
4a.jpg
Hopefully I don't get fired for this... HA!
4a.jpg (95.99 KiB) Viewed 3279 times

jens_buhl
Medium Poster

Postby jens_buhl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:35 pm

shymac wrote:...
The Octane will be our wave specific kite for 2010.
Aha! :thumb:

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:16 am

Ahhh, that flight picture is killer! Puts a much better perspective on things than those lawn photos taken last week when I thought it looked like the T3. This looks nothing like a Turbo! Interesting, can't wait to fly it!!!

So, Octane is the WAVE kite.
What is the RPM for? Surf kiters are loving it today.
We know the Fuel is just for those old timer kooks. :D

gk76
Medium Poster

Postby gk76 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:48 am

gravey wrote:What with the replacement of the REV with the new Octane, my kite of choice is now end of line. I would have liked to see this kite honored with yearly updates like the FUEL, but alas. It is not just re-branding, but also reworking of a completely new kite that see the REV disappear. I have a quiver of these bad boys and now they will be consigned to history. How do you guys feel? I am pretty pissed to see a much loved kite disappear.

I agree it is a shame.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:26 am

were y'all sad when wipika stoped making the airblast? The octane looks sweet!!!!!!!!!!

gravey
Medium Poster

Postby gravey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:04 am

I do agree that this feels like some kind of betrayal, but hey you have to move on (great girlfriend analogy). It kinda makes me laugh that whenever a new kite comes out it is always the same sales pitch - better low end, better depower, better hangtime, stronger seams etc etc etc. I cant see how they can improve on the REV but hey, I am probably wrong.

The lawn pics did indeed scare me (just like you I tought that the kite looked way too flat and T3ish) but that newer shot looks kinda encouraging - MORE PICS PLEASE.

vbnhatty
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB
Favorite Beaches: ES SS
Style: Wake n Surf
Gear: C-Kites
Brand Affiliation: Nabisco

Postby vbnhatty » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:32 pm

Sucks ace, now my resale value took a dive. :angryfire: :angryfire: People think kites that aren't made anymore suck. Kinda pissed and I don't think I'm going to fly an octane. I guess I will have to keep a few of my soon to be dinosaur rev's for surf and get a fuel. Even though the fuel is the worst kite for value. I think if the octane pulls a link then we will see the rev again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”