Dynabar 2010 Models

Forum for kitesurfers
kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynabar 2010 Models

Postby kitezilla » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:55 pm

When you body-dragged back to your board, did you notice any difference?

For instance, the fact that the pull of the kite was coming from your high-side hip and not from your belly-button, and did this allow your body to sink deeper in the water and plane up-wind better?

Also, when loading up for a jump or back roll, did the last-minute sliding motion of the hook kill any of your "pop"?

Thanks for the review.

emmandkev
Medium Poster

Postby emmandkev » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:20 am

During my session I gave the bars performance while body dragging very little thought - it felt like normal. However, now that you come to mention it on one occasion I recall being surprised how quickly I got back to my board - so maybe there is some benefit to be had in this respect. I'll pay a bit more attention to this aspect of the sport the next time I ride.

I must add that I had a very mellow session - after all it was New Years Day and I was not feeling 100% :D.

I was also kiting on my own and here I have learnt, through my own pain, that solo sessions have to be approached with a degree of conservatism because the outs, if something goes wrong, are not to be recommended.

That said I threw a couple of back loops and they went fine. If the hook moved (which it must have done) I didn't notice that movement having any appreciable impact on my jump and as far as I was aware the pop off the water was normal.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:44 am

I have found that after an initial and short adjustment period everything feels the same...or better. It's sort of like being "unhooked" yet still hooked in with the benefit of the depower feature. Your body can move much more naturally and independently of what the kite is doing...or you can manipulate the position of the hook to lock into the center if you want.

The first few times you ride with it and do tricks you might be startled by the movement of the hook and freedom that you feel at first. But it seems like everyone I speak to has adjusted to it quickly...a matter of a few hours (?). It is interesting that many are reluctant to try it because they think they will regress or something...maybe the same thing that makes people hesitate to try directionals and/or strapless riding.

I've been using one for a year now and will never go back to a fixed hook as I see absolutely no benefit to that.

I hope more people can comment about their experiences.

doc
Frequent Poster

Postby doc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:36 pm

just a quick reply to robertovillate , if a bit of kit fails shortly after buying it, when you've got a long swim in front of you ,calling it "trivial" annoys me !
the products innovative and cool imo and people should give it a go ,but don't knock someone who has a bad experience , as they have to be shared so no one else has to have them and the companu chages the fault,thats what this forum is good for. nothing but whinging in my posting history ,but at least i'm no pimp .

anyway happy new year to all !

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:39 pm

doc wrote:just a quick reply to robertovillate , if a bit of kit fails shortly after buying it, when you've got a long swim in front of you ,calling it "trivial" annoys me !
the products innovative and cool imo and people should give it a go ,but don't knock someone who has a bad experience , as they have to be shared so no one else has to have them and the companu chages the fault,thats what this forum is good for. nothing but whinging in my posting history ,but at least i'm no pimp .

anyway happy new year to all !
Geez, my apologies if I hurt your feelings, and I welcome your comments...and certainly not meaning to trivialize your bad experiences - but for someone to make a declaration that the product had a failure should also be tempered with some reality...

you wrote earlier
"hook just flew off after 50 hours ish,didn't even know it was held on by a screw. like knots in lines it'll be a safety check in future. happy with the product all the same."

We never saw a detailed explanation of how and/or why that happened, although I know you are articulate enough to do so. I think it's important that people have a clear understanding of these things

Not sure how you could not know that it was attached with a threaded pin...but it's really basic mechanically for those who do not know. It seems like you took a similar tack with your Royal issues if I am not mistaken. IMHO you made a big deal out of nothing (just my opinion), but at least I will respect you admission about a bit of whining. If a product has an inherently flawed design or manufacturing defect that is not being addressed by the company...THAT is a whole different ball of wax.

I really don't care if you say I'm a "pimp" for this product. Is it morally wrong to say that you like something and offer information if people have questions or problems that can be solved?. I even offered to send you a new pin, which was an upgrade from Dynabar because they wanted to improve it. I do not work for Dynabar, I just think it's a great product and love to see people trying it because I think it is, not just innovative, but extremely functional and well constructed.

I've broken many other name brand bars/hooks over 9 years...so I'm familiar with the experience, but the situation can be dealt with if you have your gear set up properly. Not that anyone wants to go thru this over and over of course ...but actually I have much more faith in the Dynabar than anything else. I've used it over 200 sessions in many extreme situations and NO signs of failure (except for the plastic roller which is supposed to be sacrificial, extras supplied with bar, and replaceable in 30 seconds). After a year of testing and trials with other people I feel perfectly confidant about it and will be using it for instruction.

So sorry if I offended or annoyed you.
:thumb:
Happy New Year

doc
Frequent Poster

Postby doc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:42 pm

i think its important to point out faults in products thats all , thats what keeps the manufactures on there toes . yep royal was petty ,but it was the first time in the air for christs sake ,don't get me started .....!

its not obvious that the pin screws in for the record , hindsight is a wonderful thing.there was no warning ,bar just flew out of my hand ,kite inverted and i had a swim , a long one ! waited for a promised replacement that didn't come and just got back into my old harness worn loosely and not been bothered to put the hook back together again .

theres allot of covert affiliated people on this forum that are ready to stick the boot in when honest negative feedback is given about there product , i don't consider u or this thread to have attracted them though . i don't think your a "pimp",i see my post might have come across like that.

like i said ,nice well made product that gave me a half hour swim, but thats now been rectified and people have now been warned to check the screw before every session because of feedback and this forum. cheers dave

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Doc Dave,

Fair play...and I do appreciate your honest comments.

Sorry to reopen the old sore spot with Royal...and I suppose I've had the same experience myself somewhere along the way with a few brands over the past 9 years of kiting.

While we all need to remember that this sport continues to evolve there is still an obligation for product manufacturers to take responsibility for their products and do right by their customers, AND continue improving safety all the time.

so...Completely agree with you...end-user/rider feedback (in addition to in house R&D) should be considered one of the best forms of criticism and serve as food for improvement on a product that has some promise to it. Unfortunately many companies ignore this...some of the big ones in fact. The fact that Dynabar is very open to this made it that much more appealing to be a happy user, customer, and reseller.

cheers and
:peace:

PS...not saying that it cannot happen (because apparently it did) but I have not noticed my threaded pin loosening. I have been using the upgraded pin for about 6 months, which allows the roller to spin more freely, and perhaps not cause loosening? If someone wants to be extra secure with it applying a drop of "loktite" or similar thread adhesive will probably solve those concerns.

doc
Frequent Poster

Postby doc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:52 pm

dito ! they seem like a cool bunch ! peace to you and a windy 2010!

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:15 am

-
I currently have a Dynabar V3, but I'm thinking about getting the PRORACE model.

I think that the PRORACE model with its 6mm dyneema rope to provide "enough stability of the hook in any position"
and its "less quick" sliding (as compared to the PROWAVE) are desirable attributes.

What's the ETA on the latest Dynabar V5 (below) ?

Marc
Naish 13.5m Cult / GK Trix 9m,12m / Eclipse Thruster 14m; Nano 4m, 6m, 7m, 11m
Kiteboarding Videos: Feat. Dynabar, Naish, Cabrinha, GK, Eclipse, Turbolauncher & More

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:24 am

Deferred Success wrote:-
I currently have a Dynabar V3, but I'm thinking about getting the PRORACE model.

I think that the PRORACE model with its 6mm dyneema rope to provide "enough stability of the hook in any position"
and its "less quick" sliding (as compared to the PROWAVE) are desirable attributes.

What's the ETA on the latest Dynabar V5 (below) ?

Marc
V5 is still in testing now and may not be out for a while. The differences are subtle, mostly to streamline some manufacturing and keep cost down.

I have one Prorace left. Your assumptions about how it works are spot on. I'm using a protype of that model now and like it as much as the V3. To be honest, it's hard to say which one I prefer.

Le me know if you want this ProRace.

Return to “Kitesurfing”