Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dynabar 2010 Models

Forum for kitesurfers
Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynabar 2010 Models

Postby Windrider » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:07 am

I should be getting my Dyna Bar in a couple of days. How will I know if it needs the new pin or not?

doc
Frequent Poster

Postby doc » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:25 pm

why cant all these kite companies be like this ? admit a problem,air it , solve it ,simple.
when are you folks coming out with a kite?

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:04 pm

Got my Dynabar yesterday! Hoping to try it this weekend if the wind holds. I got the ProWave model. Wondering how it will be on first launch. Wondering if I'm gonna be the dingbat NOOB on the water this time out who can't even fly his kite right. Anticipation!

Initial impression is that the construction certainly looks solid and well-made.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Windrider wrote:Got my Dynabar yesterday! Hoping to try it this weekend if the wind holds. I got the ProWave model. Wondering how it will be on first launch. Wondering if I'm gonna be the dingbat NOOB on the water this time out who can't even fly his kite right. Anticipation!

Initial impression is that the construction certainly looks solid and well-made.
The first few times the hook shifts you might be startled by the sound or movement, but everyone I know using one has adapted quickly, in less than an hour. If you are riding directionals you're really going to love it.

They seem to be bomber and I have not seen any signs of fatigue. My V3 has a plastic roller (over the shackle pin) which will need replacing sooner or later, I estimate every 100+ hrs. The new upgraded pin may be harder steel? Takes 2 seconds to R&R.

JAYFACTORY
Medium Poster

Postby JAYFACTORY » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:16 am

robertovillate wrote:
Windrider wrote:Got my Dynabar yesterday! Hoping to try it this weekend if the wind holds. I got the ProWave model. Wondering how it will be on first launch. Wondering if I'm gonna be the dingbat NOOB on the water this time out who can't even fly his kite right. Anticipation!

The first few times the hook shifts you might be startled by the sound or movement, but everyone I know using one has adapted quickly, in less than an hour. If you are riding directionals you're really going to love it.

They seem to be bomber and I have not seen any signs of fatigue. My V3 has a plastic roller (over the shackle pin) which will need replacing sooner or later, I estimate every 100+ hrs. The new upgraded pin may be harder steel? Takes 2 seconds to R&R.
On the 2010 models the angles on the main rod are "rounded" and the sliding is smooth without "sound", specially on the ProWave with no sound at all.

The old pin was a commercial screw with spiral also under the nylon roller, the new has spiral only on the last part and the roller does its job better.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:42 am

Okay, I've had my Dynabar long enough to express an opinion. I'm using the ProWave model. I like it a lot and would miss it if I were to go back to a conventional, legacy spreader bar.

Initial impressions:
  • If you try it, give it at least 1 hour before making any kind of judgment. It feels very different at first. I've used fixed spreader bars for over 25 years in the course of windsurfing and kiting. Using a spreader bar with the dynamic mobility of a Dynabar is a major change.

Don't expect to use the extreme side-positions of the hook all the time. I find that, for the most part, the hook stays towards the middle. When I go toe-side, walking up the beach, or body dragging, I put the hook to an extreme left or right position. Other than that, it''s in the middle section of the bar most the time. Surprisingly, that mobility of the hook movement even in the middle part of the range still adds a whole lot of dynamic to the ride.

The bar makes walking with your kite in the air and body dragging much, much more comfortable.

The Dynabar is a new tool-of-the trade for kiting, another variation of the equipment that makes for an interesting, somewhat challenging change.

You can control the amount that the bar slides off-center by the position of your hips relative to the kite. Aim your hips at the kite and the hook stays in the center. Turn your hips aways from the kite and the bar goes off-center, tracking the kite.

Nice on the waves. It does make doing switchbacks easier. But, still waiting for a good day with good waves to experiment more.

I did find that my upwind ability seemed somewhat diminished at first using the Dynabar. I didn't realize how much I used the torque of my body to get the kite to fly further forward in the window. Now I have to fly the kite a bit more consciously because I cannot "bully" it with my body torquing to force it forward. I think it will teach me more finesse in my kite handling.
My overall impression is that I like it. I would recommend it. "Dynamic" is the keyword for describing the Dynabar. They named it well. Nice to see an improvement in a piece of gear that normally is just a connection to the kite. The Dynabar actually contributes to enhancing your skills and riding ability. Cool. Now there's Hooked-in, Unhooked, and Dynamically-hooked. You can control the power of the bow/sle kites and have more freedom of movement than Hooked-in riders get. A neat alternative.
:thumb:
Last edited by Windrider on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks for the review, keep us informed when you hit good waves! :wink:

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Windrider,

Great observations and nice report.
Windrider wrote: Don't expect that your will be using the side-positions of the hook all the time. I find that, for the most part, the hook stays more-or-less, in the middle. When I go toe-side, walking up the beach, or body dragging, I put the hook to an extreme left or right position. Other than that, it''s in the middle 50% of the bar most the time. Surprisingly, that mobility of the hook movement even in the middle part of the range still adds a whole lot of dynamic to the ride.
Pretty much the pattern I am in with it. I am riding the FreeRide but had used a prototype bar similar to the ProWave. In general the fully articulating hook really frees your hips up allowing more natural stance and lets the kite pull more comfortably.

Windrider wrote: I did find that my upwind ability seemed somewhat diminished at first using the Dynabar. I didn;t realize how much I used the torque of my body to get the kite to fly further foward in the window. Now I have to fly the kite a bit more consciously because I cannot "bully" it with my body torquing to force it forward. I think it will teach me more finesse in my kite handling.[/list]
Interesting .. . I feel like it improved my upwind on both heelside and toeside tacks because I can really dial my body position/stance in much better. I am goofy foot and sometimes, when upwinding toward the left the hook slides to the left side as the kite is more forward in the window and I lean forward with a slight twist of my body to the right.

While it is easy to adjust to this bar in an hour or so I think you will continue to fine tune your use of it as you go.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Go out and shred some big waves now!

doc
Frequent Poster

Postby doc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Anyone got any advice on buying a replacement screw(the one holding the hook on) mine failed and I'm not getting any response from those guys ,I'm in the Uk.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:16 pm

doc wrote:Anyone got any advice on buying a replacement screw(the one holding the hook on) mine failed and I'm not getting any response from those guys ,I'm in the Uk.
The JayFactory folks may be out for the holiday in Italy right now for a few more days. They can send you a replacement screw I am sure....but,

I imagine you could find a stainless screw and bolt at a good hardware store or chandlery. (?)

They do have some updated screws for the shackle...I just got a bunch of them as spare parts, and I would send you one, but I am in the USA.

Just curious, how did the screw fail? I haven't had any problems with the screw/pin and I've been using mine for 100's of hours.

Return to “Kitesurfing”