Style: Allschool
Gear: Inflatables and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My first real self rescue today

Postby K-School SafetyFirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:44 pm

gbleck wrote:You can go up one line.

Did you try that in strong wind? The kite didn't start looping like the 07 cabrinhas and more?

Rasmuskk
Medium Poster

Postby Rasmuskk » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:53 am

Here are three videoes on how to do it
http://www.kite-skills.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=53

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks for posting the link to the videos Rasmuskk. I wish there were many more how-to's out there, because most people still don't know how to do it.

I think it would be better to show a rescue in the water, as it is FAR different than being on the beach. Grabbing those lines and winding the bar is far more difficult in the water with wet hands and an angry kite pulling on you.
The 2nd video looks flat out dangerous, and the guy retrieving the kite should have either grabbed the leading edge at the nose (center) or pulled the deflate valve. Holding it by the wingtip and letting it flop around seems very risky IMO.
Pulling the valve isn't a bad thing unless you didn't lock off the struts on a one pump. It may be harder to maneuver, but the threat is neutralized.

The Offshore/ Upwind method shown on my site really works. I wouldn't suggest going through the shorebreak that way, but for going back upwind to get your board ,or in offshore winds, its the only way to go.
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:40 pm

gbleck,

You said "you can go up one line"

Can you expand on that?

For instance... which line? Will any line do? or just one of the double lines of the new style safety system...

Do you recommend swimming along side the line? Grabbing the line with one hand and ratcheting yourself up the line, while periodically grasping it with one hand? or just swimming and trying to keep that one line in sight and to the leeward of yourself?

What do you do with that one line, when the kite swirls around and fills with air?

Do you have a plan for an accidental relaunch, while you are somehow "going up one line"?

I and many other kiters using the new double line safety system have many questions about the simplicity of accessing the kite... implied with your remark. Did you mean to imply that the self rescue was as simple and safe as just "go up one line"? Are you concerned that your remark might give the new users of this double line safety system "a false sense of security"?

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:58 pm

You mean that there's already a plethora of self-rescue videos available out there?

Bummers... guess that kills the chances of Simon fronting the money for the trip on the Best Odd-At-Sea to make yet another one.... Oh well..... pipe dreams keep life interesting. Dream on.
:kiff:

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:48 am

I've only ever had to do it once and used the swim-to-kite method. I did get lines around my legs at one point which scared the toast out of me.

I think a simple tip would be that if you do decide to use this method, un-holster yer line cutter beforehand and have it ready in your other hand should a line wrap and the kite power-up....

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Good to share those experiences!

I would do a few things different than original post, here is my experience.

Kite dropped due to zero wind. Wait a few minutes, then decided to self rescue. Swim to kite, winding lines to bar without paying too much attention, before I know it lines wrap around my leg, so try to untangle. After 5 minutes I was tangled up and I literally FUCKING could move only one arm. - fortunately i was the arm I used to hold on to my (floaty) directonal board. Literally WIGGLED my way to shore in 30 minutes and zero wind and waves. I was 50 meters from shore.

Ever since I am not afraid of kites but I have a heatly fear for lines. 2 hook knives, and comforable pfd jacket. In any doubt I'll say good by to my kite and get rid of it rather than face that feeling again of being wrapped up.

Also, NO NO and again NO to board leashes. Board = $800 or less. Your face or leg or arm or spleen = many thousands of $. Gojoe = $3 if home made. Do the math.

Once I turned my back to my board to look at the kite in smallish waves, waist-deep water. A wave picked up the board and smashed it on the back of my head. I was wearing a helmet (which I kept doing ever since). Even with my helmet on, I'll never forget that hit.

If I ever made the call to kite in offshore wind and current, I'd be mentally prepared to ditch everything if I was in any doubt. It's much cheaper in the long run!

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Had to do a one self rescue this Friday on my 11m 2011 crossbow. Riding with some busted up ribs and fell off the raceboard. Crashed the kite when I went into the water. Tried to relaunch but every time I did the ribs started to scream at me. Figured I'd just self rescue so I deployed the IDS. Kite sat on it's back waiting for me to roll up the lines. Tried to wind them up but couldn't hold the bar and wrap the lines up with one good hand. Ended up just climbing up a single center line while floating on the raceboard aiming it to the side of the kite. Stayed away from the lines just fine and the kite sat nice and stable in 12-15 knots of wind. Only problem was winding up the line after I got to the kite and the jet ski came to pick me up. I was trying to pull in the lines so the jet ski could pick up the kite but kept getting tangled on the rotating holder on my Ronstan clear start watch. Wrap a bit of electric tape around the edge should keep it from snagging. Also tangled on of all things my hook knife holder. Long story short I ended up spending most of the afternoon untangling. If you can wrapping up all the line after you deploy the flag out is better but you can if the need arises go up just one center line if your careful not to get snagged. Greatly increases the chances of a wrapped in the lines incident though. If you can use both hands rolling up the lines on the bar is easy so do that.

fishy
Frequent Poster

Postby fishy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:40 pm

tomatkins wrote:gbleck,

You said "you can go up one line"

Can you expand on that?

For instance... which line? Will any line do? or just one of the double lines of the new style safety system...

Do you recommend swimming along side the line? Grabbing the line with one hand and ratcheting yourself up the line, while periodically grasping it with one hand? or just swimming and trying to keep that one line in sight and to the leeward of yourself?

What do you do with that one line, when the kite swirls around and fills with air?

Do you have a plan for an accidental relaunch, while you are somehow "going up one line"?

I and many other kiters using the new double line safety system have many questions about the simplicity of accessing the kite... implied with your remark. Did you mean to imply that the self rescue was as simple and safe as just "go up one line"? Are you concerned that your remark might give the new users of this double line safety system "a false sense of security"?
Tom, I assume you are referring to systems like the Cabrinha IDS? I would say in the first instance, use the safety system as it's intended - If you find yourself in the situation where this is not possible, then the next best thing would be to climb the lines and get to the kite, that's what I did when I was in the shit recently.

I was kiting on my own in the UK in February, so pretty cold, with a strong tide running. My lines got tangled around my hook, I hit QR1 but couldn't get the kite to flag properly (mainly my own fault for not practicing the technique), I then hit QR2 to release the kite completely, but because I was tangled I was still hooked up ... very scary.

My only option was to climb up the front lines and kill the kite, which I did. I was badly tangled up in the lines when I did this, but text book self rescue was not an option at the time. You get tired real quick in cold water ... one minute the kite is trying to drown you, and the next minute it's your life raft. This is more the reason to practice these things regularly with your own equipment. In my opinion, it's best to stick with the kite if you can, forget the board, but every situation is different ... PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!! :thumb:

None of us do it enough.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:37 am

I always have a roll leash on my harness and a little rope ring on the board. If I have to self rescue, first of all I fix the board, then I begin the actual procedure.
The bad thing is that everyone you never met on the beach is going to tell you "Are you crazy? Never use a board leash!!!" and you must explain why you're wearing it... :D
Oviously, should the conditions be really hard and the only option getting rid as quick as possible of the kite, I will for sure leave the board and hope someone get it back to the beach.
About winding the lines, same as above: don't panic and evaluate the priority. I always prefer to wind them anyway, it's really dangerous to get tangled, probably the worst thing it can happen since at that point there's no way to totally release the kite, a real nightmare!
No need to wind them nicely folded as you do on the beach, just wind as quick as possible and fix them on the bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”