Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Speed3 - The Ultimate Flying Machine

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: Flysurfer Speed3 - The Ultimate Flying Machine

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:09 am

Have you noticed any difference in fabric durability between the regular and deluxe as some have suggested?

duloid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kralova, Dunaj, Slnava
Style: old school
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DLX, Flysurfer Unity 8m, Flysurfer Speed 4 10m DLX, Xenon Rayo 130, Slingshot Celeritas
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby duloid » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:Have you noticed any difference in fabric durability between the regular and deluxe as some have suggested?
here you have some links, hope it helps..

http://www.flysurfer-uk.com/2010/10/whe ... go-serial/

http://www.rein-art.eu/Portfolio/2010/0 ... -standard/

plus Speed 3 15m DLX saved my another session ... light winds or no wind is around here lately, so took advantage of morning breeze and got to the beach at 9, wind was 8 - 12, occasionally dropping to 6.
Rode my Xenon 129 .. hour later few more guys showed up, pumped the kites .. two didn't even bothered to launch kites, and two tried to ride, but only down wind .. they walked more then rode.
it's worth to mention that one of the kites was Ozone Zephyr 17m and guy riding surf board ...

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:27 pm

I love my 12m serial and now get almost the same low end as my 19m deluxe (which i sold at the end of last season after a year on it). The 12 is a fun kite to fly, minimal bar pressure, tons of range, great jumping, downlooping, and hangtime. This would be my desert island / collapse of civilization kite for sure.

I tried the 15m deluxe for a couple weeks it didn't really get me going enough to want to pick it over the 12m, but the 15/19 will definitely get you going with a twintip while you'd be riding a raceboard or surfboard. When I have the money I'd gladly get the 21m, I think there would a manageable gap between the 12m and it.

I usually ride a raceboard or surfboard in 8mph to 16mph winds, and twintip from 16 and up. I'm 225lbs.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:15 pm

what is the top end for the 19m speed delux, before the kite is dragged down the wind window. what is the top self landing wind strength?

I know it says 17knt on the company site, but would like to hear from other user please.

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 pm

it looks this thread totally died! i'm searching out the speed 21 delux and didn't find anything specific to it in all 49 pages. but i did list my SA2.5, 19 meter over in the 2nd hand section. i've got a purple kite in route :)
Last edited by Arcsrule on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:38 am

Here I'm on my 21m and Flyrace....
Great fun in Lighter winds and can still jump.....
Even at 150lbs I like the feel of power in the light stuff... Magic to get out on our lighwind summer days!
10 knots and under and no white Caps needed.... I remember when we used to only go out when it was capping... so many missed sunny days. Next movies will be on Purple... 21m.

joedy
Medium Poster

Postby joedy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:41 am

lezo wrote:I had a great response from a longtime foil kiter:

"The crazy thing about your question is that you don't need to slow down for your kite to get back to the edge of the window. Your kite is already at the edge of the window any time it has been sheeted out for more than one or two seconds. The real deal is that the wind window rotates as your go faster and faster, especially in lighter winds with a great light wind kite like yours. As you slow down it seems like your kite is going forward in the window, when in reality the window itself is rotating. This is all an effect of apparent wind. I'm sure you already know this, but in a 15 kt wind when you are speeding along at a forward speed of 20 kits the apparent wind direction moves so much forward that your kite appears to be sitting way way back in the window, which corrects itself immediately upon slowing down.

The only reason I mention this to you is that sometimes it is easy to forget. What you are doing is the right thing, directing the kite upward and riding toward the kite. The only other option is to edge extra hard and try to tough it out, slowing yourself and the kite, watching it move forward and making you think the kite actually went forward in the window (which it really did not do)."

Can anyone help to clarify this? I'm having a hard time visualizing how the wind window shifts in relation to apparent wind.

-joedy

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:41 am

Think in vectors, or the hypotenuse of a triangle...

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/Better ... cs.html#10

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:12 am

joedy wrote:
lezo wrote:I had a great response from a longtime foil kiter:
Can anyone help to clarify this? I'm having a hard time visualizing how the wind window shifts in relation to apparent wind.

-joedy
Imagine yourself with no speed with the wind right behind you, about to go in a direction 90 degrees to the wind. The wind you feel (the apparent wind) is the same as the true wind.
Now what happens when you pick up speed? There is a component of the wind which come from the direction you are riding towards (same as when you are riding your motorbike).
This component, added to the true wind is your apparent wind. It will appear to have shifted from right behind your back to somewhere nearer to the direction you are going.
If you keep the kite at the edge of the window (with the same angle of attack - or incidence - or bar position) it will move backwards by the same amount the apparent wind has shifted forward.
A little drawing would be worth 1000 words. Next time if the above is not enough!

The explanation which was given to you was as clear, if not clearer as mine, but perhaps you only needed to see it from a different angle ;-)

As the longtime foil kiter says, the great thing is that the apparent wind can be significantly stronger that the true wind enabling you to go faster than the wind. I typically clock 20-22 knots in 10-11 knot winds, on flat water. Far better can be achieved with a raceboard or a foil board.
:bye:

PS: whilst I was writing this up, Kami posted the link to the excellent, albeit somewhat longish (quasi encyclopedic) article on the combined effects of wind, the riding speed etc...the same topic seen from yet another angle; easy to understand when you know it all already.

PS2: you might be interested to see what sort of speeds can be achieved for various wind directions on the polar diagrams show at the bottom of my blog about the use of GPS. You can see that the VMG (velocity made good - component of your speed in the direction of the wind) was up to 7 knots and max speed exceeding 20 knots in wind of 8-10 knots the days of the logging. Better digest Kami's article before trying to deal with polars graphs and VMG.

http://www.nautikites.net/blog/index.ph ... 905-145635

joedy
Medium Poster

Postby joedy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:27 am

Thanks for the links, fellas.

Once I understood the wind window and how it changes while moving with the kite (the apparent wind against the kite), it makes sense now.

-joedy

Return to “Kitesurfing”