Gear: North Evo 2011: 6m, 9m,
North Evo 2010: 12m
Nobile 666 - Womens edition 126/38
Cyclone Kitesurf board
Nobile Skimboard
Brand Affiliation: None

North Evo 2010

Postby Kite Kasia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:24 pm

After reading reviews on Evo 2009 I'm quite interested to see/hear any news on 2010 model.

I have been flying Rebels for past 2 years and my fist kite I learnt on was lovely Vegas 06 ;-)
I don't think I can go back to Vegas after flying Rebels, but I wonder if Evo would be a better option for me.
I'm not a wave rider, as I don't come from surfing backround I don't think I will ever get into real waveriding. I'm slowely progressing into freesyle, first kiteloops and more unhooked moves - I really enjoy it.
There is nothing wrong with my 09 Rebels, there are quite amazing kites - upwind machines, work well in light winds, very stable in the air, easy to relaunch and solid build.
But I'm hearing more and more about Rebels being designed for waveriding and racing, while Evo being a more of freeride/freestyle kite and much better for progressing all those unhooked moves and learing new tricks.
I'm bit concerned about bridal system on Evo and wondering if anyone had any problems?
What I love about the Rebel is the safety of 5th line setup and no bridals - seen kites getting cought in the lines and looping and looping and looping...

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Re: North Evo 2010

Postby Don Lester » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:19 pm

Kasia, I would worry FAR more about the 5th line wrapping than any bridle problems on the Evo. The Evo is a great freestyle and wave riding kite on 4-lines as well as 5............ Rebels are also good, but the Evo's are GREAT............

waves1111
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Kahala, Mokuleia or Kailua, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: WBP & Mokes
Style: Waves
Gear: North EVO, Fuse & Rebel Kites, Surfboards 5.0 to 6.6 and Extreme Sports Maui mutant for bump and jump. Firewire FP 5-11

Postby waves1111 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 pm

I agree the 5 lines are a more of a problem than the 4 line set up. I was practicing ejecting and relanching the EVO 9 yesturday. It works great. It nearly automatic. Just let go of the bar and it works its way to the edge of the window and waits for rider input. The EVO is a great freestyle wave kite.

Two things I've found to be of problem. They didn't protect the canopy with bumpers or reinforcement where it attaches to the leading edge segments. These are stress areas. Mine ripped. The other is the 9 has a small wind window for wave riding as compared to the Rebel. It really depends on where you ride at. My two cents...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:37 pm

waves1111 wrote: Two things I've found to be of problem. They didn't protect the canopy with bumpers or reinforcement where it attaches to the leading edge segments. These are stress areas. Mine ripped. The other is the 9 has a small wind window for wave riding as compared to the Rebel. It really depends on where you ride at. My two cents...

..these are things you should tell a guy BEFORE he acquires one ;-)

cRAZY Canuck
Frequent Poster

Postby cRAZY Canuck » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:44 am

Evo's tend to be a January release so I would imagine we'll start seeing stuff in a couple of month.

Unless of course they change when they release it - would be nice if they where out at the end of November for the season down here.

Kite Kasia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Irish West Coast,
Gear: North Evo 2011: 6m, 9m,
North Evo 2010: 12m
Nobile 666 - Womens edition 126/38
Cyclone Kitesurf board
Nobile Skimboard

Postby Kite Kasia » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:36 am

Don Lester wrote:Kasia, I would worry FAR more about the 5th line wrapping than any bridle problems on the Evo. The Evo is a great freestyle and wave riding kite on 4-lines as well as 5............ Rebels are also good, but the Evo's are GREAT............
What do you mean by"5th line wrapping"?
Never heard of any problems with that, but I acctualy seen people getting into trouble because of the bridle wrapping around the kite tip...SCARY!

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:07 am

Kite Kasia wrote:
Don Lester wrote:Kasia, I would worry FAR more about the 5th line wrapping than any bridle problems on the Evo. The Evo is a great freestyle and wave riding kite on 4-lines as well as 5............ Rebels are also good, but the Evo's are GREAT............
What do you mean by"5th line wrapping"?
Never heard of any problems with that, but I acctualy seen people getting into trouble because of the bridle wrapping around the kite tip...SCARY!
I have been riding 5th line kites for years and never had the 5th line wrapped. In theory it might happen and it did to some, but the fact is that in my case it never did and i always ride in waves and when the kite falls it tumbles a lot.
So my opinion is that you should ignore the 5th line wrap possibility or if it bothers you get a kite without it.
About Evo or Rebel, the rebel is more reactive to steering and feels faster. The Evo is smoother. This doesn't mean it has less power.
Either way you will be very well served!
See you!

Seaman
Frequent Poster

Postby Seaman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 am

I rided rebels in the 2 last years...had two 5 th line wraps, one of them half a mile from shore :cry: back to shore swimimg :angryfire: ...moved to 4 lines kites now...

rebel ou evo they are both good...just diferent taste...try them

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Navene & Campagnola / Lake Garda
Capetown
Paracuru / Brazil
Le Mourne / Mauritius
Gargano
Lake Reschen / Italy
Tarifa
Style: RED
Gear: Groove Skate
Moses Onda & Fluente
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:24 am

still waiting North to add a Bandit/IDS bridle to their lovely EVO, patent fees seemingly to be the only true argument against it coming.

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:25 am

5th line wrapps usually happen when you over fly your kite and it drops from the sky with lines slack. Picture the kite falling maybe 20 feet from you, so you have 50 feet or so of slack lines. The kite lands leading faceing you, then catches some air and rolls front to back. Now the 5th is wrapped around the middle of the kite and it is nearly imposible to relaunch without shredding the kite. Pretty much that is the end of the session till you get back to the beach. If you never have had it happen more power to you. It can happen and will happen.

I have saved the invert from happening a few times by swimming away from the kite fast, to gain tension on the lines.

Something you don't want to happen to you

Return to “Kitesurfing”