Style: Freestryle
Gear: Kite: Slingshot Rev 11
Board: SU2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot Octane 2010

Postby kygen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:37 pm

milko wrote:I have owned a 9-13 octane quiver for a few weeks now..although i have not fully got to test the kites right out there is one thing (tip) i have for octane owners/buyers..
On the rear bridal just above the 3 pigtail knots. they have added an extra pigtail.. remove this pigtail and you kite will have a much better bottom end.. better than the Rev2 i am told..i was told they put this extra pigtail in to stop beginners over-sheeting the kite.. I flew my 9 on the beach with them in . then took them out and was blown away by the difference.
this pigtail....
Can u add some picture?

And plz can u make a report how the kite preform for unhooked riding compare to REV2 and how is bottom end compare to REV2 in your oppinion?

milko
Rare Poster
Style: surf

Postby milko » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:47 am

To be honest I could not really be bothered unrolling the kite, reattaching the pigtails,taking a photo, uploading the photo, rolling up the kite.. phfff writing this post was hard enough..
basically the little pigtail that has the 3 knots on it to attach your rear lines too.. just above that they have just thrown in an extra 3" pig tail..
As far as comparing it to the rev2.. I cannot say as I never owned a rev 2.. I came from the T3 and there is no comparison there.. but a few friends who have come from rev2 to the octane. who are very very competent surf kiters. unhooked unstrapped. . say that its a nicer kite with a better range.. including bottom end..

Bullroarer Took
Frequent Poster

Postby Bullroarer Took » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:44 pm

milko wrote: As far as comparing it to the rev2.. I cannot say as I never owned a rev 2.. I came from the T3 and there is no comparison there.. but a few friends who have come from rev2 to the octane. who are very very competent surf kiters. unhooked unstrapped. . say that its a nicer kite with a better range.. including bottom end..
Milko, I'm on T3s now and would appreciate your "no" comparison.

TIA

jens_buhl
Medium Poster

Postby jens_buhl » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:57 pm

milko wrote:On the rear bridal just above the 3 pigtail knots. they have added an extra pigtail.. remove this pigtail and you kite will have a much better bottom end..
I just had my first session today on a new Octane 11m and can confirm that the kite flies fine without this pigtail on the rear-lines. If the purpose was to prevent oversheeting or maybe compensate for front-line stretch over time, then it does not seem to be needed.

milko
Rare Poster

Postby milko » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:11 am

Bullroarer Took wrote:
milko wrote: As far as comparing it to the rev2.. I cannot say as I never owned a rev 2.. I came from the T3 and there is no comparison there.. but a few friends who have come from rev2 to the octane. who are very very competent surf kiters. unhooked unstrapped. . say that its a nicer kite with a better range.. including bottom end..
Milko, I'm on T3s now and would appreciate your "no" comparison.

TIA
I don't mean "no comparison" in a bad way.. I personally think the T3 is one of the best kites out there.. and as far as value for $$ it is definitely the best kite out there..
The two kites are just very different.. the reason i wanted to upgrade was i found the T3 to be a bit heavy in the bar.. not pressure. but when your riding a wave trying to fly the kite one handed it can be very hard to steer..
comparing my 11 T3 to my 13 octane. i would say they have similar power and range.. the T3 is one grunty kite.. the octane turns a lot faster and smoother.. it also feels soooooo sweet at the bar.. the octane likes to be flown a bit. especially when the winds a bit light.. but that's no problem because its so easy to fly...
I would say if you just want to park your kite and ride flat water keep your T3.. But if you like waves and you want to progress in the surf.. get yourself an octane... in saying that I also had a go on a RPM 12 back to back with my 13 octane..and its a very nice kite too.. if you want to mix it up a bit between flat and surf this could be the kite for you.. does not seem to relaunch as well but has a few more settings to change the kite around.. does not have the new sweet bar that the octane has either..

Anyway I hope this helps..
Attachments
P9240031.jpg

adfree
Medium Poster

Postby adfree » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:15 am

Milko

I am wondering - why did you remove the pigtails when you could just use the end knot on the front lines and the first knot on the back lines to achieve much the same?

Thanks

milko
Rare Poster

Postby milko » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:26 am

adfree wrote:Milko

I am wondering - why did you remove the pigtails when you could just use the end knot on the front lines and the first knot on the back lines to achieve much the same?

Thanks
because I dont want to have to think when setting up my kite... :thumb:

ankers
Medium Poster
Gear: BRM

Postby ankers » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:59 am

Hi Milko

Any feedback on the windrange of the 9 meter Octane? especially interested in the top end (80kg rider twintip and wave board).

Thanks

xcluziv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Netherlands - Zeeland

Postby xcluziv » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:53 pm

anyone already tested the 7m Octane 2010 in high winds like 35-42 knots?

mrgole
Rare Poster

Postby mrgole » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Does anybody tried Octane 13 ??? How fast/slow is it. Is it true that Octane 13 has the same wind range like REV 11?
Thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”