Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

19m Silver Arrow collapse

Forum for kitesurfers
prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 19m Silver Arrow collapse

Postby prayfawind27 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:03 am

:o I can't believe people are still riding anything over 16m, WOW!!!

Hunqi
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone

Postby Hunqi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 am

prayfawind27 wrote::o I can't believe people are still riding anything over 16m, WOW!!!
WOW, in those weak winds you have most of the times there I am surprised,
people are still using inflatable toys and keep complaining in stead of planning on a Speed2 SA.
Haahaahaa...:lol:

addicted~2it
Medium Poster
Gear: SS Rev
Underground Boards
Myctic Warrior

Postby addicted~2it » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:44 am

If you cant ride with a 12m Switchblade or a 13m Crossbow, then there is not enough wind to ride.
I have also seen a 12m RRD Obsession & a 11m T3 do awesome in light wind. :thumb:
Long story short.. you dont need one of those goofy big rigs to ride in light wind. :o :thumb:

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:46 am

addicted~2it wrote:If you cant ride with a 12m Switchblade or a 13m Crossbow, then there is not enough wind to ride.
I have also seen a 12m RRD Obsession & a 11m T3 do awesome in light wind. :thumb:
Long story short.. you dont need one of those goofy big rigs to ride in light wind. :o :thumb:
well u can ride with those kites but not parked and powered...especially if you r over 100kg....
i d rather start to jump over 2m at 10 knots than crawling on the water , sinning the kites with a 12 switch or a 13 X-bow..
i guess , for me, light wind is not the same as yours.. <10knots, above that , u get into the normal wind range.

domdino
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Pismo Beach CA, Gilgo NY, Rhosilli Bay WALES
Style: Free
Gear: Ocean Rodeos for the moment...
Brand Affiliation: Atomickiteboarding.com

Postby domdino » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:05 am

I don't really understand the argument for light wind only on flysurfers, or if it's that light i don't wanna ride... i have a 15m sa2 and i love it most of all because when the wind is 15-20mph it is absolutely insane - I have tubes as well and in those winds i'd be going upwind happily, doing some little jumps, having an ok time but if i bust out the speed then i jump like a lunatic and its also the easiest thing in the world to jump huge and land smoothly with...

For me, the speed is worth having for the 15-20mph range moreso than the lightwind range, which it also excels at. It annoys me a little when everyone just puts it into yeah it's just a really expensive light wind kite... try the kite!!! This kite can do light wind but take the thing out in moderate winds... SO MUCH fun, such big jumps....

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:27 am

I'll do the mixer test thing - thanks for that.

I otherwise fly a quiver of revs (best kites in the world IMHO)....I still love the SA, huge float and great alround fun in very light winds - I'm 95kgs and I do not hold to the 'if its not enough for my 12m then its not worth going out' - total bullshit....unless you are under 75kgs and like directional surfing..in which case keep the argument to your lightweight selves

flyingtrunkie
Frequent Poster

Postby flyingtrunkie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:00 pm

There are several things you can do about a bad flyinghabitat:
1. get him at fullsoftstearing. Now there's is a bit less pull at the frontbridle. Also now a bit more lowend.
2. Check your linelenghts: fully powered up (strap open and bar pulled) the 4 lines should be equal in lenght. (Just push a chrewdrives through the four lines by the ELC's and push it into the ground. (You can shorten your powerlines by shorten the black line above the strap)
3. Do the mixertest:

To make the kite more stable: Shorten the B and C lines. Always Shorten C = 2xB (ex. B=-2 cm; C= -4 cm). When you do this too much the kite will be slower and gets more backstall. At the other site, the hangtime will be longer. When you do the mixertest, the length of z-main isn't important. So put it aside when doing this test.

When this isn't usefull:
4. Check the lenght of the sparepartlines and also the bridle lines which go the rings at the tips of the kite. These lines are shrinking when they are getting older (!) When the ringlines are too short, it causes tiptucking. For lenghts or ordening new ones:
http://www.flysurfer.com/Lineservice/
When replacing, check also the pully's

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:50 pm

cheers - I'm printing all this off - sunny no wind days coming up so I'll be the kook in the corner of the grass car park twiddling with lines next to a huge duvet!! 8)

DenisLaMenace
Medium Poster
Local Beach: It's a secret spot
Favorite Beaches: Ask flipper231
Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca

Postby DenisLaMenace » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:21 am

domdino wrote:I don't really understand the argument for light wind only on flysurfers, or if it's that light i don't wanna ride... i have a 15m sa2 and i love it most of all because when the wind is 15-20mph it is absolutely insane - I have tubes as well and in those winds i'd be going upwind happily, doing some little jumps, having an ok time but if i bust out the speed then i jump like a lunatic and its also the easiest thing in the world to jump huge and land smoothly with...

For me, the speed is worth having for the 15-20mph range moreso than the lightwind range, which it also excels at. It annoys me a little when everyone just puts it into yeah it's just a really expensive light wind kite... try the kite!!! This kite can do light wind but take the thing out in moderate winds... SO MUCH fun, such big jumps....
way to go Dom :thumb:

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 pm

this is deffinately a mixer problem there is directions at your manual on pages 49-53. I would shorten the C-main by at least 3cm. The B-main will automatically follow..

Also Sometimes the kite will act this way until it is Bedded in so once you have stretched out the canopy properly (2-3 days of use with good power) It can be put back to neutral at the mixer or can be left set for max stability.. these are the settings I personally use...later Ted B.

PS. Also even a when a FS kite seems tangled it can be water relaunched. The biggest mistake I see is people pulling on the kite to much.. If the kite is in a wierd position give the side lines a slight pull and if it does not help the position SWIM Towards the kite and let the wind change the position of the kite to a good launchable position...

Return to “Kitesurfing”