Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are you really that cool...

Forum for kitesurfers
magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Are you really that cool...

Postby magic%20Ed » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:18 am

Can you explain why you did not start with asking them to help you?

You are putting the blame on these guys, and at least partially your right, but you are the one who started all this and you did not ask for help even though you know your a beginner and your wife is a complete novice.

malden
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: lake Svityaz, north west of Ukraine
Style: old school
Gear: Flysurfer: speed 2sa, speed 3, speed 4, speed 5, soul, sonic3, flydoor6;
Spleene: monster door 2007,2009,2010,2011,2018, session 2011

Postby malden » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:36 am

magic%20Ed wrote:Can you explain why you did not start with asking them to help you?
even though you know your a beginner and your wife is a complete novice.
just ask for help! before... :o

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:54 am

asking for help might be too late before something happens.

When I help, there is no need to ask me...I have to see it and then help any way I can.
All I expect is a thank you and all is good.

If someone gets into a dangerous situation, it should be our honor to help...for sure you don't want to see anyone die because you were too cool...and if you really are too cool, then go wakeboarding and let us our sport and our community of nice friendly and helpful people.

tungsten222
Been thanked: 0

Postby tungsten222 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:02 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:24 am

Everyone is responsible for his own deeds. So the guys are responsible for not acting in a potentially dangerous situation. But the topic starter is responsible for not taking appropriate action in the first place, that's the point I'm trying to make.

esg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 200
Local Beach: Hawaii
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby esg » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:52 am

That sucks, and yes, the fact that you do have to rely on other people(some with bad attitudes) for launching, landing, etc, etc, is also one of the things that originally turned me off about the sport..and one of the few advantages windsurfing has over kiting. A lot of the people at Naish beach are Euros and possibly didn't understand you when you asked for help...maybe.

Davepalu
Medium Poster

Postby Davepalu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:59 am

Inexperienced kiter, inexperienced launcher..... when learning ignorance is dangerous. Before shredding the cool guys, are you sure they werent in the middle of a lesson? Your wife wasnt at the edge of the window when launching, infact you were trying a hotlaunch. Before kiting again ask someone on the beach some tips on launching so you and your wife become independent. 3 lessons in this sport is nothing

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 pm

<rant on>

I don't mind helping others and giving a hand if required and generally go out of my way to do it, but the one thing that does annoy me is when an obvious beginner is attempting something where they clearly should be getting the aid of a more experienced kiter. Are you too cool to ask for help??

Ask first before making yourself look like even more of a beginner! If I'm at a beach with friends who don't kite, I always get another kiter to help launch and land me (if I'm not self launching/landing) because my non-kiter friends are rather clueless in comparison, so why would I use them? You should have asked another kiter on the beach to launch you and not your wife.

When I was starting and wasn't sure of something, I'd ask questions and get help BEFORE I attempted something, so do the same and I'm sure you'll get a much different response from people.

</rant off>

Have fun kiteboarding!

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:59 pm

KOOK!
:lol: :cool2: :lol:

No, I'm 1000% kidding.
I would help you out and I'm sure most of us here would help a fellow kiter. I do agree with magic Ed and the others saying you should have maybe asked someone else to launch you BEFORE it became a bad situation. Swallow some pride and ask for help first if you're both beginners. You wouldn't want to put yourself or your wife in a dangerous situation.

Hell most windsurfers I've come across are even willing to help out.

Just have fun and be safe.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:02 pm

Lessons:

Yeah some are too "cool" to help, but the other way to look at it is they are letting you learn.
It is a trial and error process after all.

Just make sure to teach your wife/helper how to pick up the kite right.

Keep the lines straight.

Know your wind window, know your kite.

If you only have a dozen (or a half dozen) sessions, expect to keep learning "lessons" like this the next 2 or 3 dozen times you go out, hopefully without embarassment or injury. There is a lot to learn. It's that simple. After all you're a beginner. :baby:

But hopefully nice people will be around and give help when you need it, too.
There is always someone around that is too cool, it seems.
But don't let it get ya down.

Return to “Kitesurfing”