Are you really that cool...

Forum for kitesurfers
grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Are you really that cool...

Postby grantman54 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:11 pm

^^^^ I agree with Younger. How hard is it to land a kite. It takes 10 secs and no effort at all for the lander. BUT it makes the hugest difference to the guy flying the kite.
Anytime I see someone on our beach getting ready to self land I always ask if they want me to grab it. Everyone has said yes so far.
Really guys; if someone is struggling or if someone asks for a land we should go out of our way to help.

ToastSYN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: anywhere on Maui
Favorite Beaches: Ka'a Point, Matanzas Inlet
Style: overpowered
Gear: Royal Era 8m, Torch 7m, Obession 7m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Mercenary

Postby ToastSYN » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:55 am

Rightguard,
Sounds good and I'll see ya around the beach when I get back.
-Toast

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Don Monnot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:06 pm

Superstoke,

Where do you kite? I want to make sure I avoid your beach.

Don

vbnhatty
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB
Favorite Beaches: ES SS
Style: Wake n Surf
Gear: C-Kites
Brand Affiliation: Nabisco

Postby vbnhatty » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:42 pm

superstoke wrote:Some guy asks his clueless girlfriend to launch him and totally kooks out then gets pissed that people didn't drop everything they were doing. Give me a break. What an arrogant prick. Then all these internet do-gooders that come and chime in how much they help people bring the arrogance to a whole new level.
I'm with you superstoke on this one. How hard is it to ask a kiter to help instead of letting some clueless chic launch you. How the do we know that she doesn't kite. Were not really that cool but we are too damn cool to run some dudes lines and beg to launch him. Ask for help and you will get it. Pat your head and you will get landed.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Has anyone ever wondered about the whole liability thing when launching someone. I mean, people sue people for EVERYTHING these days.

so let's say some strangers, (total newbies or little experience) show up at your beach and you're a local who knows how dangerous it is to launch there due to rocks, gusty winds, whatever. they ask you to launch them but even at the correct angle they can still screw it up somehow, like oversheeting the kite so it falls back and rolls, then hot launches and you (the launcher) can't get to it in time.

they could easily sue you saying it was your fault.

let's say you tell them the safest way to launch at your beach but they argue with you? They insist on launching in a more dangerous manner, do you still launch them or do you let them do it themselves

hey, i'm still going to launch anyone who asks but I'm just saying, a scenario like this is just a matter of time.,,,plus i'm at work and bored, that's really why i'm posting this

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm

papasmerf wrote:Has anyone ever wondered about the whole liability thing when launching someone. I mean, people sue people for EVERYTHING these days.

so let's say some strangers, (total newbies or little experience) show up at your beach and you're a local who knows how dangerous it is to launch there due to rocks, gusty winds, whatever. they ask you to launch them but even at the correct angle they can still screw it up somehow, like oversheeting the kite so it falls back and rolls, then hot launches and you (the launcher) can't get to it in time.

they could easily sue you saying it was your fault.

let's say you tell them the safest way to launch at your beach but they argue with you? They insist on launching in a more dangerous manner, do you still launch them or do you let them do it themselves

hey, i'm still going to launch anyone who asks but I'm just saying, a scenario like this is just a matter of time.,,,plus i'm at work and bored, that's really why i'm posting this
Excellent post.

This subject is worthy of a separate thread..."Kite Launchers responsibility and potential liability".

Law suits go for deep pockets. Anybody involved in causing an incident, where someone is injured is fair game. For instance, let's say the kite upon being "launched" falls back, tumbles, powers-up and the lines cut off the nose of an innocent beach-goer. Don't you think that a smart lawyer will make the case that the guy who "threw" the kite at the victim was negligent and should pay?

Something to think about...

Return to “Kitesurfing”