All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Naish Fish 5'5 Fins
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:02 am 
Medium Poster

Just picked up a barely used Naish Custom Fish 5'5. Twin fin. For those who have ridden this board, whats up with the super flexy plastic fins? I used the board for the first time today but it was really too light to really test it. Should I look to replace them and if so, do I have to go to Naish or are the boxes common to other surfboards?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Naish Fish 5'5 Fins
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

lbatbeach wrote:
Just picked up a barely used Naish Custom Fish 5'5. Twin fin. For those who have ridden this board, whats up with the super flexy plastic fins? I used the board for the first time today but it was really too light to really test it. Should I look to replace them and if so, do I have to go to Naish or are the boxes common to other surfboards?

hey, I had this board...I know what you say about the fins...I didn't try to change them. I liked how the board rode. I was planning to try other fins, but I felt the board wasn't meant to be ridden very powered and fast, so I didn't worry too much about it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:56 am 
Medium Poster

Thanks, How did they hold in bottom turns?? I leave the board here in PR and it does not look like any wind for the rest of the trip. So I am not going to get it to test it out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:26 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

lbatbeach wrote:
Thanks, How did they hold in bottom turns?? I leave the board here in PR and it does not look like any wind for the rest of the trip. So I am not going to get it to test it out.

If you ride it strapless it will hold fine, don't be afraid of digging in on the back foot. It is a twinfin so much looser than a thruster or quads. I wouldn't try super high speeds tho or much overhead,,it is more a board for the ankle snappers to chest high sets.. . I liked how the board felt, especially nice for strapless. If you lean in hard, the tail will dig in and give you some more traction. Super construction too. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

FCS fins will fit in case you like to change fins.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:42 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks guys, I intend to ride it strapless in small surf. I have a quad strapless for larger surf and light air. But in summer in PR there is no swell but it can blow 25knts every day. The wind swell just doesnt really get into the reef, so the waves are waist +/-. So small surf but very powered up is the call. In Delaware, I bought an NSP fish for cheap and replaced the 2 fins with FCS but a conversion box was required. The board works great in small sloppy surf with the FCS fins. In fact, the Naish box seems like the NSP but I dont have both in the same place to compare. Construction seems similar to the NSP as well. I would not be surprised if they are not exactly the same construction and built by the same company. But the Naish shape is more advanced for kiting. I am going to bring the Naish fins back stateside and figure it out. I think I will buy a stiff pair if for no other reason to have a back up set in case I lose one on the reef.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:56 pm 
Frequent Poster

Are you talking about the 2007 green 5.5 naish fish,right???.Cause i have the same board from 2008 (white one) and it comes with some kind of composite red fins that i find fairly stiff and work perfect for the board. I mostly use this board strapped for small waves and sideon to onshore winds due to its looseness and ability to tight turning and really love it. Also find due to huge entry rocker it lacks a bit of low end and really comes alive a bit powered up,despite board width.
Try to find 2008 Naish fins or you can also contact TFC fins to get a pair of custom G10 minituttles if not happy with your stock ones.Hope this helps :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:46 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks... that is exactly what I needed to know. And yes, its the 2007 green 5'5 with fins that screw in with one screw from the deck. I really like the nose rocker feature for smacking little waves! Appreciate the input!

[ 8 posts ]