Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RRD Obsession 2010

forum for kitesurfers


j1finnn1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:34 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: LA/Malibu :Rep (RRD)

Re: RRD Obsession 2010

Postby j1finnn1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:49 pm

All I can do to help is the following tuning (very simple)- Its hard to tune a kite over the internets.

Here's how I like to fly them, anyway. In slightly underpowered conditions,
I pull in about an inch of depower rope and unhook the kite, flying it over head. The back lines should be JUST BARELY tight. Then If I fully power the kite, it will be a tiny bit oversheeted. This is fun for boosting, or in gusty winds, I'll oversheet the kite in the lulls for a second to keep it deep in the window in preparation for the next gust.

If you can't get the bar to that tuning, the something has to change on either the kite or the bar. I Don't know how ocean rodeo bars tune out. It's hard to tell from here, and if its a used kite, someone could have messed with the bridle or even the rear line connection points, you may want to talk to the most experienced wise man on your beach for help ;)
-Jeff

KitingPolak
Rare Poster
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Learning
Gear: Slingshot Key HD 10m
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: RRD Obsession 2010

Postby KitingPolak » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:31 am

Jeff,
Thanks for the feedback. By "oversheeted" do you mean where the angle of attack is past the point of where the kite stalls out and starts to fall?

Also, from your description on tuning, if you're flying the kite unhooked than it should be at full power (as long as the depower line is all the way out). Are you saying that the full angle-of-attack range of the kite should be covered in about an inch of depower line travel? That doesn't seem right. I think I'm misinterpreting what you wrote.

I do not believe that the bridle was modified. The kite only has one knot on each connection point. I looked up some of the bar documentation (not the proper model year) and it looks like the front lines can be adjusted near the swivel. I have not checked this on my bar yet since I haven't been home. If that's the case then hopefully that will give me the adjustability that I need.

Is it proper to set the kite up that it stalls out when you completely pull the bar in (sheet in) and the depower line is completely out? My Slingshot KeyHD does this but my friends Slingshot Rally does not. I'm unsure which is the "correct" setup.

=Wayne

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:34 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: LA/Malibu :Rep (RRD)

Re: RRD Obsession 2010

Postby j1finnn1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:21 am

KitingPolak wrote:Jeff,
Thanks for the feedback. By "oversheeted" do you mean where the angle of attack is past the point of where the kite stalls out and starts to fall?

A kite oversheets WAY before it stalls out and falls. I just mean a little oversheet. Oversheet is the point where the kite (or sail) AOA is past its optimal lift/drag ratio for the current wind conditions, but it may not start backstalling yet.

KitingPolak wrote:Also, from your description on tuning, if you're flying the kite unhooked than it should be at full power (as long as the depower line is all the way out).

Yes. Unless you're like me and like to have a touch of oversheet in the bar for special circumstances. I've also seen tall people who never unhook prefer to set their bars up so optimal sheeting is further up the chicken loop which means the kite will fall backwards when unhooked.

KitingPolak wrote:Are you saying that the full angle-of-attack range of the kite should be covered in about an inch of depower line travel? That doesn't seem right. I think I'm misinterpreting what you wrote.

No I wasn't saying that.

KitingPolak wrote:I do not believe that the bridle was modified. The kite only has one knot on each connection point. I looked up some of the bar documentation (not the proper model year) and it looks like the front lines can be adjusted near the swivel. I have not checked this on my bar yet since I haven't been home. If that's the case then hopefully that will give me the adjustability that I need.

Yes on RRD bars the main adjustment is usually from the front lines. Since You are using an OR bar (if I recall) I can't comment.

KitingPolak wrote:Is it proper to set the kite up that it stalls out when you completely pull the bar in (sheet in) and the depower line is completely out? My Slingshot KeyHD does this but my friends Slingshot Rally does not. I'm unsure which is the "correct" setup.


I'd say the key needs its front lines shortened (or back lines lengthened), the rally sounds tuned. Once again, I can't speak for those kites. Some kites are more sensitive to backstalling than others, I generally assume somethings wrong with the tuning when a kite backstalls while unhooking like that.

Hope this helps.

KitingPolak
Rare Poster
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Learning
Gear: Slingshot Key HD 10m
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: RRD Obsession 2010

Postby KitingPolak » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:52 am

A kite oversheets WAY before it stalls out and falls. I just mean a little oversheet. Oversheet is the point where the kite (or sail) AOA is past its optimal lift/drag ratio for the current wind conditions, but it may not start backstalling yet.


I understand the term stall, how does it differ from "backstall"?

I've also seen tall people who never unhook prefer to set their bars up so optimal sheeting is further up the chicken loop which means the kite will fall backwards when unhooked.


Interesting... is there a reason why tall people do this?

Yes on RRD bars the main adjustment is usually from the front lines. Since You are using an OR bar (if I recall) I can't comment.


No such adjustment on the OR bar unfortunately. The only place I'm able to adjust line length is on the bar ends (for the rear lines). I tied a couple more knots on each side and will try these settings next time conditions allow (hopefully tomorrow). I wasn't sure how much shorter I need to make the rear lines so I kept the new knots equal-distant to the original ones.

I'd say the key needs its front lines shortened (or back lines lengthened), the rally sounds tuned. Once again, I can't speak for those kites. Some kites are more sensitive to backstalling than others, I generally assume somethings wrong with the tuning when a kite backstalls while unhooking like that.


I agree. Will try to play with the settings some more on both kites.

Hope this helps.


Yes, thank you very much for your response and assistance.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Deaimel, EOW, ulx and 12 guests