All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk wetsuits and drysuits
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:37 am 
Frequent Poster

Dry/bag suits are tough in the ocean where you have big waves. The last thing you want is board off in the impact zone with your kite in the drink and you bobbing round like the goodyear blimp in your body bag.

I kite in the North East US all year round and my rule of thumb is water plus air = 90 degs and i'm out. I use the NPX 6'3' zealot with an integrated hood in the ocean and an ocean rodeo pyro in the bay once the bay water temps get close to freezing. There are guys at my local that will venture in much colder conditions in the same get up.

good luck

barry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Cotton will make your dry suit about as usefull as going without one. Pollypropaline or other wicking material.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:59 am 
Very Frequent Poster

seems like a wetsuit works with the elements to keep you warm

while a dry suit fights the elements to keep you warm

i had a drysuit for two seasons, even on the coldest of days I would get condensation/sweat underneath and would feel chilled. I went to a 5/4/3 wetsuit and haven't looked back. even on the coldest of days i may layer a NP heatseeker shirt underneath but I'm more comfortable in that then I ever was in a drysuit

some bag style drysuits may say breathable....MY ASS. i worked in the outdoor industry long enough to learn that for those fabrics to remain breathable the pores of those fabrics need to stay free and clear of moisture, dirt, oils, etc.....and once the DWR wears off that fabric has about the same properties as a garbage bag once it's wears off.

seems obvious to be more in harmony with the elements then to fight it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:55 am 
Medium Poster

I also use jeans and a long arm tshirt under my drysuit, I even used once my suit trousers and shirt because I didn’t have any clothes with me for kiting after work, and it was completely fine (temperature), the only problem is that is never 100% dry, you always have licks when you crash hard, I also had problems with the zip (if you don’t take care of it enough when you pack it) but when it get freezing cold drysuits are the best, when it start to get warmer for than 10 degrees back to wetsuit all the way ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

Drysuits for sure. Layer up with fleece or ski-undergarment, and additional layers if it gets freezing. Stay away from cotton undergarment if you don't want to stink your car up. Get the right size and you'll have enough mobility, more than a thick wetsuit.
Make sure you get the air out. A drysuit has less flotation on the limbs which is good for quick maneuvering and turning to recover from a crash and to get your board.
Zippers and seals determine the lifespan, make sure your suit has proper ones.
Use sufficiently high boots to cover the ankle seal against spray.

I use a 3/2 until it gets cold on the feet, then on to the drysuit!

outer layers not recommended :o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I got no problems in the ocean with my drysuit, I burp mine so theres floating around like the good year blimp.

If Any of you guys who didnt like their drysuit still have it hanging around, send it over to me, Ill eat it up for spare parts!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

kitegrommet wrote:
What model?
The ProMotion suits have "wind skin" to keep the suit from drying.

Surfing suits are different than one needed for kiting. We crunch our elbows, suit can dry out when riding, etc..

Different parameters for performance..

They are so tight and flexible, once on, are hard to tell you have a suit on
nothing like the older styles of thick and bulky ,like my old Hotlines, looks like a different material altogether.

Even in 50 degree water a zipper failure or a tear from a fin could be deadly,by the time you wash in ,for safety I would not chose a drysuit in large surf where you could have a hole in the suit.

I've never seen a surfer in a drysuit around the Pacific Northwest ,but we don't have that cold of winters here,like in the east coast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:23 pm 
Medium Poster

As a kid I was bodyboarding off the point at Seaside when some noob surfer lost his board and had a hole in his drysuit. He was getting pounded so I paddled over and had him grab my board and towed him in. I always thought they were dangerous.

Decades later I've changed my mind. My wife is a master diver and they use drysuits all the time under much more pressure and bone chilling cold. Fill your drysuit up with water and your not going to sink. I just started using my OR Pyro and I was fairly warm while everyone in a wetsuit was freezing, teeth chattering etc. I do find moisture in my suit afterwards so wear some wicking cloths, fleece etc and you'll be fine. Out on the coast I don't see much difference between having a more bulky drysuit and having a sleek wetsuit when you include your boardshorts, harness etc. Your not out duck diving waves or anything.

As far as wetsuits I also prefer Xcel. Great suits!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:54 pm 
Rare Poster

If you do go dry suit stick a rash vest over the top, stops the arms, chest and shoulders being so bulky.
But at the end of the day winter sucks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The best suits IMHO is the Pspychofreak 4.5 or 5.5 whit hood if its really cold. Thats whats best for surfing in waves.

If its flatwater freestyle, the best drysuit right now IMHO, is the Lucifer.
(2010 have a better zipper.)

There is allot off other fine suits, but they are the best i have testet, for winter surf.

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next