Cabrinha switchblade vs Crossbow

Forum for kitesurfers
John B.
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha switchblade vs Crossbow

Postby John B. » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:50 am

I am looking to replace my kites and I am down to either the switchblade or the crossbow, currently I am riding a 14 and a 10 m switchblade III which I really like, I weigh about 90kg,mostly freeride and I am not into any unhooked riding or new style tricks. Any feedback on either kite and their differences would be appreciated as there does not seem to be too much information out there on either kite, specially the new crossbows. (is anybody out there riding them?)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Cabrinha switchblade vs Crossbow

Postby OzBungy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:39 am

I just bought a quiver of Crossbows 13-10-7 after 4 years on Switchblade III-12 and II-8.

I felt the SB is more a pop and hop kite. You go up fast and come down pretty fast too. Very fast and furious.

The XB is smoother. I find the jumps higher with longer glide and hang time.

The XB does pivot turns where the SB rotates around the tips and tends to carve more.

The larger size XB is kind of slow and lumbering but in a jump it glides like a hang glider.

All the sizes have amazing top end. A lot higher and more user-friendly than the SB.

The bottom end is good but it's a little more technical to get the range. The SB is easier to whip around to work the bottom end. The XB likes to be flown more smoothly. According to our local weather station we are riding in 3-4 knots less wind than we rode the SB III-12 in.

The XB works ok for wave sailing but you need to be a little more concious of the kite. The SB turns faster and is more comfortable drifting backwards.

The 10m XB is the best kite ever!!!!! Huge top end. Huge airs. Super smooth. Massively grin inducing. I have ridden it comfortably powered down to 15 knots and there's a super-sweet spot at 20-25 knots. I expect it would top out at well over 30 knots.

hapa13
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: kook
Gear: like to try everything

Postby hapa13 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:26 am

Agree with pretty much everything Oz just said. Both seem to go about the same height, the CB just stays up longer and glides further. 10 and 13 in the new CB should cover about the same as your old SB's.

mnd12
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Nobile twin-tip, Slingshot surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mnd12 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Does anybody has any info on the difference between the Switchblade and Cabrinha Convert?
I hear a lot about Switchblade but not so much about the Convert.

I'm interested in the Convert, since the price is about $300 cheaper then the Switchblade, but I would like to hear any feedback from somebody using the Convert.

thanks!

caveman
Rare Poster

Postby caveman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm 90kg and I have a 12m Switchblade IDS and a 9m Xbow IDS. The Xbow has tons of grunt and the Switchy is a better wave kite. The 9m gets me going on a twin tip in as little as 16kts and I'm usually staying upwind on the Switchy in about 12kts. You can't go wrong with either one, though. :thumb: It all depends on which style you favor more.

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 pm

Fly the Switchblades myself since 2007. Currently 2010 modell. Also have flown the Crossbows, 2009 aswell.

Seen some 2010 Crossbows on my local beach. The kite looked very interesting, high aspect, efficient. Seemed to turn quicker.
Luckily a few weeks later my buddy bought new CB's and i got to try out the 10m.

My expectations were right. The turning is alot quicker. Making the kite lively. Also is very efficient and more stable than 09. Due to the 7 struts, but also thanks to some small changes in the bridle and the other upgrades in the materials used.
For the rest I agree on what is already said in earlier replies above.

What I do want to add is that if i werent doing unhooked tricks, I would seriously consider to ride CB's. They are awesome kites to ride hard, go big, have a big range. On these parts the CB excells over the SB.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:46 pm

My Crossbow 09 9m has a huge range. I can fly it from 27-28km/hr up to 50-55km/hr... maybe even a bit higher. The sweet spot though is roughly around the 30-45km/hr range. Lower end I'm not pulling any big tricks but can still ride and at the top end I can pull huge lofty jumps! It's a great kite.

John B.
Medium Poster

Postby John B. » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:47 pm

thanks for the great feedback, I have a couple of more questions
OzBungy wrote:The bottom end is good but it's a little more technical to get the range. The SB is easier to whip around to work the bottom end. The XB likes to be flown more smoothly. According to our local weather station we are riding in 3-4 knots less wind than we rode the SB III-12 in
what do you mean by needing to be more technical to get the range?

Also how is the relaunch of the crossbow compared to the switchblade?

jteabird
Frequent Poster

Postby jteabird » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:02 pm

i have2008 switch 3 and 2010 crossbow 2010 kites.. I will list some differences that most people might be interested in.... first of all the crossbow 2010 relaunches easier and quicker when compared to the switchblade 3.. with the crossbow it feels kinda like you have shock absorbers ( dont get jerked around by the gust) the switchblade you get jerked around way more... the crossbow has war more range(nobody can question this) both kites go about the same height but you stay in the air way longer with crossbow.. (alot of times you have to sheet out to come down...) you come down pretty fast with the switchblade.. both kites are not great for doing powered kiteloops.. the 2010 switchblade is way better for kiteloops than 2008 .. if you like old school riding crossbow hands down.. If you think you area better rider than you really are or are really advanced or a pro than 2010 switchblade over crossbow.. if you are an Intermediat or advanced rider that can throw down and go huge, double spins etc that crossbow.. most riders will be a way better rider on the crossbow that the 2010 switchblade unless you are doing really advanced freestyle etc than go with crossbow..

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:47 pm

John B. wrote:...what do you mean by needing to be more technical to get the range?

With the SB if you are underpowered you can just fly it up and down with lots of aggressive sharp turns and vertical dives and climbs.

The CB13 is quite slow turning so if you try to fly it hard straight up and down then you can have no power moments through the turn at the top and bottom.

If you fly it in more smooth arcs it generates plenty of power and does not get stuck. The trick is to initiate the turn earlier and try to keep things smooth.

I was worried that I would not be able to fly the CB in light winds like my SB but I have adapted to it now and it works fine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”