forum for kitesurfers

Claudiokite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Brand Affiliation: None

La Parguera in January, Puerto rico.

Postby Claudiokite » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi,
I am planning to go to La Parguera the first 2 weeks of January, any advice on wind condition what size to bring, any nice place to stay? What is the best location to stay if you want to enjoy some nightlife but also be conveniently located for the kite beaches?

Thanks,
Claudio

fzamora1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: san juan
Style: freestyle and surf

Re: La Parguera in January, Puerto rico.

Postby fzamora1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:14 pm

hey claudio i am frederick zamora from puerto rico. you should come to san juan here there is everything to do. The season for waves is up and you will have plenty of wind. Unless you want butter flat spots then la parguera is the place to go but their season doesnt start till summer. i mean you can get some wind but is not as consistent as san juan plus wavesssssss!!!!. Nightlife is always active here in P.R. tons of nice places to stay. My email is fzamora18@gmail.com if you want more info or visit my website freddykitepr.com

FSUkiteboarding
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: Wakestyle/Strapless
Gear: Cs and boots

Postby FSUkiteboarding » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:32 pm

I was there in late Dec/early Jan and it was not the season for La Parguera.

As mentioned above, you are better off going to San Juan or Aguadilla for some waves.

Claudiokite
Rare Poster

Postby Claudiokite » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks a lot for your advices. Also I'm not too much into waves riding as I usually ride on a twin tip, is it definitively directional place there? Or I can find easy waves in that period?

Claudio

prwinds
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Punta las Marias
Ocean Park
Favorite Beaches: Punta las Marias
Style: new school, waves
Gear: Griffin Kites, Liquid Force Concept 139, Escalade Bindings

Postby prwinds » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Hey Claudio,

I ride in San Juan along with Freddy (above) and can stand for his words.

Dont think San Juan is a wave spot only though, most kiters here ride twintips and for the most part its a flat water spot. BUT there just this awesome reef barrier about a mile out that creates really nice waves, so if you ride waves you'll get the best of both worlds. If you are starting out this spot will be perfect for you. The reef is not shallow and the wave break pretty clean from side to side. Because the reef is so big you have about 3 good spots to choose from so you can head down to the one thats suits you best.

The thing is that in La Parguera you will have BUTTER smooth water, no chop at all, if you ride inside, and absolutly no waves. This is because La Parguera is located inside a mangrove and reef protected coast so waves simply can't enter. You will also need a boat to head down to the rideable hot spots though its not something to worry about as you can catch a ride pretty easy, or rent a small boat (I think around 14 feet?) for a full day for around $40-60. You will only see ripples there so in that sense its flat water heaven!

Now, in San Juan you will have nice, sandy beaches beach all along the coast. Its also the best place to be for night live and overall its the most active kite spot to be in.

But remember Puerto Rico is only 100x35 miles big so you can simply wake up early one day, and head down to La Parguera(its a 2 hour drive from San Juan) ride the whole day and take the trip back to San Juan. We do that all the time here, even though the drive is a bit long its definitely worth it!

Good luck! If you have any questions or comments feel free to drop me a message or reply back over here.

Francisco

Francisco_C
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Ocean Park and " the island "...
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Escondido ,MX , Salsa Brava , CR La Punta , RD among a few...
Style: Don't know !!???
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: SkyBanditz Kiteboarding Puerto Rico

Postby Francisco_C » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:25 am

Hello , feel stoked because you are coming to the best place in the Caribbean !!!! La Parguera is a great flat water spot , during this time of the year the Northern side is firing up with plenty of swells and favorable winds .

So, our suggestion obviously is that is better for you to stay in San Juan , from here you can explore the rest of the island , which isn't big .

Get a kite tour and go beyond !!!!!

This is my phone
787-593-5483
This is my e-mail
opkiteundergroundpr@hotmail.com
This is website
www.prkitesurf.com
Attachments
IMG_0014.JPG
Waves , flat ... all so close !!! let's go

Return to “Kitesurfing”