Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Race LTD 2010 ?

forum for kitesurfers


ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3579
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby ronnie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:42 am

catamarum wrote:
paulOz wrote:Fins

Rear --> ~185mm
Front --> ~110mm

Cheers


The standard fins seems a little bit small for racing, in the video Stephanie Bridge has a board with much bigger fins, do you know what is the size and angle? Can I buy those fins with North?

Thanks,

Steph e-mailed me that North have 18cm and (26cm fins EDIT: That should be 22cm) with a 10 degree cant for the 2010 LTD.

I'm just guessing, but those may be custom race fins in the video.
Last edited by ronnie on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DvB
Rare Poster
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:09 am
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Switch Nitro 5, 12 & 9
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Mahe, Seychelles

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby DvB » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Peter, those tacking angles in the link that you posted are pretty impressive, even more so considering the wind was light. I presume this is on the 2009 NRL? It would be an interesting exercise to compare them to the angles on the 2010, if and when you have an opportunity to try them both(back to back would be really cool). Does your angle upwind improve or stay constant if the breeze increases? Or do you have to bear away as the apparent wind shifts with your increased speed, as on a fast yacht?

Looking at those tracks, this is exactly the reason why I want to get a board like the Race, to be able to go and explore, upwind, downwind, reaching, and in differing wind conditions.

User avatar
Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2438
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:21 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby Wawando » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 pm

naishdude wrote:...which Gps did you use......?is it waterproof( I think so)...


I use this one: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID ... erunner205
Image

It is really perfect.

In fact, when there are no mates around it gives extra incentive to push your limits like: will i beat my top speed today? What is the avg speed upwind? Perfect to test settings and compare on spot! It even auto detects lapping and counts lap times :thumb:

Oh, and christmas is arriving :-)

surfpilot
Rare Poster
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:03 am

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby surfpilot » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Here's a picture of my 2010 North CR Ltd. It has 18cm fins at the back and 10.5cm fins in front.

Image

napeaguekiter
Rare Poster
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:56 am
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Ditch Plains
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Waves
Gear: Amundson directionals
Ozone kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby napeaguekiter » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:10 pm

I have spent quite a bit of time on the 2009 North LTD. I found it very fast and comfortable upwind but lots of pressure on the rear leg when reaching. Jibing the board is not easy because the nose is very narrow (background: for the last 3 years I have been using a 5'5" directional wave board 90% of the time and am very comfortable jibing).
I then tried the Airush Monaro. It is a tad slower than the North, much more comfortable to ride on a reach, the rail holds better in high speed jibes and it is much easier to jibe (wider outline in the front). As I am not using the board for competition but as a lightwind board I decided to buy the Monaro. It is a much more balanced ride, less extreme and more forgiving than the North.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 7070
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:11 pm

surfpilot wrote:Here's a picture of my 2010 North CR Ltd. It has 18cm fins at the back and 10.5cm fins in front.



Excellent picture - as I know how difficult it is to take a picture that shows both size and angling and rake in one single shot (picture) - almost impossible - good job :thumb:

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 7070
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:55 pm

napeaguekiter wrote:I have spent quite a bit of time on the 2009 North LTD. I found it very fast and comfortable upwind but lots of pressure on the rear leg when reaching. Jibing the board is not easy because the nose is very narrow (background: for the last 3 years I have been using a 5'5" directional wave board 90% of the time and am very comfortable jibing).
I then tried the Airush Monaro. It is a tad slower than the North, much more comfortable to ride on a reach, the rail holds better in high speed jibes and it is much easier to jibe (wider outline in the front). As I am not using the board for competition but as a lightwind board I decided to buy the Monaro. It is a much more balanced ride, less extreme and more forgiving than the North.


Nice to see !

How many brands (big serial production, not limited or special customs) are having raceboards or freeride raceboards now ?

North have had two, the Race LTD 2009 and now 2010.
Airush has the Monaro.
Ocean Rodeo has the ?
And others ?

Kindly, Peter Frank

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3579
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby ronnie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
napeaguekiter wrote:I have spent quite a bit of time on the 2009 North LTD. I found it very fast and comfortable upwind but lots of pressure on the rear leg when reaching. Jibing the board is not easy because the nose is very narrow (background: for the last 3 years I have been using a 5'5" directional wave board 90% of the time and am very comfortable jibing).
I then tried the Airush Monaro. It is a tad slower than the North, much more comfortable to ride on a reach, the rail holds better in high speed jibes and it is much easier to jibe (wider outline in the front). As I am not using the board for competition but as a lightwind board I decided to buy the Monaro. It is a much more balanced ride, less extreme and more forgiving than the North.


Nice to see !

How many brands (big serial production, not limited or special customs) are having raceboards or freeride raceboards now ?

Airush also has the Sector - a lightwind 3-strap quad with 18 and 22 cm fins and its 173cm by 60cm, but it hasn't been launched yet.

http://kitemovement.com/2009/09/12/2010 ... ard-range/



North have had two, the Race LTD 2009 and now 2010.
Airush has the Monaro.
Ocean Rodeo has the ?
And others ?

Kindly, Peter Frank

PeterP
Medium Poster
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:38 am

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby PeterP » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:06 pm

We've started a race series here in Cape Town and everyone is curios as to what actually works - have any of above posters used the North 2010 Ltd for racing? We got one guy on it here and he came 5th in light wind on his first outing, but beaten by 3 other raceboards and 1 directional.

I'm not so interested in how well the boards go for lightwind cruising - I'm interested in what works on a race course - out of 6 races we've had 4 were won by converted wave boards (bigger fins) - (winds 25-35knots) and two were won by bigfinned raceboards (winds under 20 knots).

The raceboards we have here so far don't seem to be able to keep up in strong winds merely because they are too difficult to control. But I agree with the one posters observations that the rails alone on 010 LTD seem not to be designed with control in mind.

Are the raceboards winning in all conditions, or are they as we've experienced, only good up to 20-25knots?

If answer is yes, will you elaborate why you think the normal directionals can't keep up in strong winds?

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:11 pm

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby mikelet » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:04 pm

That's it...the rails.......
Really don't understand why a board designed to perform flat and rely all the force and lift to the fins has full hard rails,it makes no sense for me and don't feel right under the feet,add strong winds and chop and a fat tailed quad surfboard will do the job........ :lol:


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bryantcook and 14 guests