Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What 2010 kite for big air????????????????

forum for kitesurfers

jteabird
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What 2010 kite for big air????????????????

Postby jteabird » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:36 pm

maybe it should be said like this... The crossbow 2010 is the biggest jumping kite for an intermediate rider that wants to go huge and glide a long way... you are not gonna go huge on the crossbow and start kitelooping while in the air.. like some other kites that go big and turn really fast like the best Nemesis.. just my opinion from riding the 2010 crossbow alot..

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:54 pm

You wanna go high? go Epic Screamer.. you wont be disapointed

angelinversace
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Rotary Beach, Kelowna B.C.
Favorite Beaches: Squamish Spit, Cabarete, Rotary Beach
Style: Old school, Wakestyle, freestyle
Gear: Naish

Postby angelinversace » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:55 pm

I have a 07 9m naish raven that goes huge the landings are pretty rough sometimes though but that is the kite that i have been able to get the highest on to date. 40-50 feet.

about the crossbow is there any vids to see this in action or or all these comments just opinion

jteabird
Frequent Poster

Postby jteabird » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:18 pm

angelinversace thats what this forum is about comments and opinions.... do you haveavideo??

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:25 pm

I didn't try many 2010 kites so far, but the ones I tried were all good. And I also tried the Crossbow 13...a little underpowered for me, normally I would have taken a 16, but I still got big airs and lots of hangtime...while the kite was easily controllable. For sure you cannot go wrong with the Crossbow!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 pm

angelinversace wrote:What kite for 2010 would go the biggest.????????

Do c kites go bigger then hybrid/bow/sle for big air???
like torch, hadlow pro, feul
i have seen the hugest jumps from these three kites from my perspective
Not asking about hangtime just height.
Nope, C kites dont go bigger.

And nope, SLE/Bow kites dont go bigger.

Actually you get about the same max height with both types (of course much longer hangtime with SLE's or foils - but that was not the question here)

The reason why you think C's go higher, is most likely because you see very talented freestyle guys with C's.
They boost really high :thumb:

Whereas you see both really talented, but also totally beginners, and everything in between, on SLE's.
They boost everything from really high to nothing :o

Those claiming you boost higher with SLE/Bows:
Nope - it just feels that way, because of the extreme hangtime, I can say for sure, that most kitesurfers overestimate their jumpheight a lot, if they encounter more hangtime !

Looking at videos, and comparing ourselves, C's against SLE's - there is not really any difference in max height :thumb:

The reason is simple - as it is all about converting speed energy (kinetic) to height - and if you are skilled and can do it, the result is somewhat the same, as our speed relative to the wind is the same :D

But there is another factor - most intermediate riders will be able to jump high (maybe not max, but close to) more consistent with SLE's - as it is simply easier.
With a C you have to time everything perfect, to obtain max height. But when you do - the feel is incredible as you get such an awesome boost that you will feel like a rocket - cool :naughty:

When you ask the question, I would say that kitesize is very important too - as IMO the small kites jump really high no matter what type. Again - somewhat easier with SLE's because of easier powercontrol - but not higher if skilled on both types.
But in the really big sizes, the C kites tend to be superior regarding jump height - compared to flat kites, because of the turn rate.
Not sure about this - but I think it is so, based on experience myself and what I see.
This is why the SLE/Hybrids really excel here - got a bit of both, acceleration, good turn rate, and a bit more AOA lift than C's.

Kindly, Peter Frank

PS: To pimp a bit - try the Takoon Chrono, and you'll be amazed about the jumping, both height AND hangtime 8)

doggy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Camber Sands, Greatstone
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Hayling Island, Majanicho
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle, Surf
Gear: Liquid Force

Postby doggy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:09 am

I used the Chrono the other day and it does go really high and has massive hangtime.

The highest I have ever been is on a Liquid Force Hifi Comp

With the Chrono you can get away with not getting your technique perfect and just rely on pulling in on the bar but if you do edge and get your timing correct I will go very big. With the Comp you need good technique but if you get it right you go huuuuge.
The Comp whips you off the water mega fast and you are at the top of your jump instantly, the Chrono floats you up and up slowly.

It is not really whether the kite is SLE or C, for big air you need a kite that has low drag so it whips up above your head super fast. Kites with thin leading edge/struts and higher aspect have lowr drag and are faster through the air. If the kite is also fast turning it helps as you can throw it back up above you before you loose any board speed turing your speed and the kites speed into lift.

SLE kites will have bigger hang time as they are flatter so larger projected area have more of a parachute affect but C kites can be thrown around more while up their to generate similar hangtime.

kitesurfing equipment hire
Last edited by doggy on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:20 am

Peter Frank said it...

Now just to add - if you're obsessed about the role of the kite, check out an old video of Robby Naish - even on a two liner.

And a few have made good points about how this is very skill dependent. If you can't expertly edge and pop, then huge depower will be a big benefit - you can ride up wind depowering the kite, send it, and then sheet in and loft yourself. The kite with the most depower works the best for this beginner-style jump. A kiter doing such "loft style" jumps will do awful on a C kite because whatever little pop they have will get lost.

Then look at len10. I would bet a Euro that changing from the fuel to anything else would not help him go higher.

For myself, the two kites I've been on and jumped high enough to wonder 'how the f*ck did I get this high' were SS Fuel 9 and Best Nemi 9. But neither were 2010.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:38 am

The Flysurfer Psycho 4 is a great jumper and has a trick up it's sleeve.

The kite goes from more C-shaped when depowered to much flatter when fully powered.
What's also intresting is that it turns fastest when depowered and in it C-shape.
This makes it easy to send the kite fast while you hold your edge hard. Then when it reaches the zenith you crank in the bar and the kite powers up but above all "spreads its wings" going flat giving you great lift and in particular a ton of float. It like having a kite that goes from low aspect ratio to high aspect ratio when you want it.

Here is a video of Eddie Lansink going nuts with an 8m and a shitload of wind.

http://vimeo.com/groups/2749/videos/6815397

Here is an animation of that shows how the kite goes from more c-shaped to flatter...

[kiteforumtv]http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/Psycho_4_ ... ation.html[/kiteforumtv]

What's interesting is that the new Speed 3 has similar "wing spreading" characteristics.

Anyway the best jumping kite is anything you hand over to Lenten. Just don't expect it to fly like it did before you gave it to him :thumb:

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:11 am

It all depends in whos hands it is in... here is the Ozone Light 8m, not the biggest hangtime in the range but....

Return to “Kitesurfing”