Medium Poster
Local Beach: steinhuder meer
Baltic sea: Rostock Warnemünde
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Foil kite vs. inflatable kite

Postby herculon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:47 pm

the scorpion is only bad at launch. but now that i have a coleman quickpump, EVERY and each launch succeeds.

see here:

(coleman quickpump making noise)

and

(lengthy and boring, just for arc lovers)

the reason i have a scorpion was its price. got mine for 220 euro. brand new.
but now i am very considering buying a charger.

Mane
Medium Poster

Postby Mane » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:04 pm

hi,

i just wanted to say that the flysurfer SPEED3 won a test in the german Kite magazine...i know tests are not worth the paper and advertising stories and bla bla, but nevertheless it is the first time i remember that a Ramair kite got the highest score.
And i guess the other companies like Naish, North...made also good adverts in this magazine, so this seems to be not the reason :wink:
Maybe the Speed3 is in fact really better?

Cheers,

Otti

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:16 am

Herculon ... don't I know you from somewhere? :)

herculon
Medium Poster

Postby herculon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:49 pm

@Kamikuza: probably from http://www.powerkiteforum.com forum ?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Yep :) I recognize the Coleman blower :lol:

herculon
Medium Poster

Postby herculon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:17 pm

peter lynn actually should have offered a coleman quickpump for free together with each sold scorpion ;-) maybe then the scorpion would have got a much better reviews and reputation! its just that dreaded launching that now with the quickpump works each and every time even in no wind!

completeKOOK
Rare Poster
Gear: 04 vegas 12m
06 vegas 16m
05Rhino 16m

Postby completeKOOK » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:30 am

How do you self rescue with a foil? i just had an experience this past weekend where i had to self rescue with an LEI and it wasnt to bad, roll up the lines, lay on the kite and get a wingtip in the air like a sail, i was actually able to hold broad reach in a side off wind ( even if the wind was straight off shor i would have gotten blown up the bay or to another shore about a mile across, just a long car ride back). Where my Quick release blew apart theres no way i would have been able to drag a soggy foil back to shore

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:19 am

completeKOOK wrote:How do you self rescue with a foil? i just had an experience this past weekend where i had to self rescue with an LEI and it wasnt to bad, roll up the lines, lay on the kite and get a wingtip in the air like a sail, i was actually able to hold broad reach in a side off wind ( even if the wind was straight off shor i would have gotten blown up the bay or to another shore about a mile across, just a long car ride back). Where my Quick release blew apart theres no way i would have been able to drag a soggy foil back to shore
I rarely crash my Peter Lynn ARC's but it does happen. These kites relaunch extremely well. Most self rescues for me have been due to equipment failure (i.e. broken line) or total wind drop outs (where everyones kite comes down and stays down). I average about 1 self rescue a season since riding ARC's for 9 years.

To self rescue with ARC's I wind up the lines on the bar. Fold the kite in half. Roll the bar into the wingtips. And drift in with the kite. Keep rolling the wingtips little by little to keep the kite pressurized and acting as a sail. Very little if any water gets inside. I have never had to drift in longer than 15 minutes though. But I have no dought that the pressure in the kite can be sustained much longer and still function as a sail. Keeping the kite pressurized helps to keep the water out too.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:20 am

never self rescued with a PL, the synergy has handles on the tips for that
with a flysurfer( full wind drop for 20mn), i just rolled the kite, put it on the board and crawl to the shore ( offshore winds, i have small paddle gloves in my waterproof bag, in case...), when the wind came back, i unroller the kite, preinflate it on the water , and relaunched it.

off shore rule number 1: never go further than u can swim back in.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:12 am

Great thread everyone. If i were to purchase a flysurfer, is it worth getting the deluxe version. It looks like it will set me back another $500?

Also everyone talks about foils lite wind abilities, is it because some of the kites are 19M? I don't know of any tube kites that large....

Return to “Kitesurfing”