Gear: SS Rev
Underground Boards
Myctic Warrior
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: rrd Obsession 2010

Postby addicted~2it » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:43 am

These kites are super fast & have tons of low end, I really thought about getting one until I saw my friends fall apart in less than a year. The bars are absolute crap. Hopefully they do something different for 2010, if you buy one use another brands bar. :thumb:

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:41 am

addicted~2it wrote:These kites are super fast & have tons of low end, I really thought about getting one until I saw my friends fall apart in less than a year. The bars are absolute crap. Hopefully they do something different for 2010, if you buy one use another brands bar. :thumb:
Well. You have seen what you have seen. I had no rela issues with mine, and our local repair guy said he ranked them in top3 maybe 4 when it comes to quality, of all the brands out there.
All kites can and will break - but falling apart sounds a bit dramatic.

Regarding the bar: I like, but would prefer the cl to dangle less when trying to hook in. No major issue but one that - to my understanding - will be solved with the new bar that is about to be released.

J-GAR
Medium Poster

Postby J-GAR » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Never had any quality or durability issues with mine, 09 or 10 Obsessions and I ride them hard 2-3 times a week. The kites are built very well. I also know quite a few people riding the 09 Obsessions for over a year with several sessions each week on them abusing them in the surf or missed unhooked moves and the kites are still going strong.

The bar is simple and clean and works well. The new bar has some nice enhancements such as improved quick release and new type of non-stretch lines.

bx
Rare Poster

Postby bx » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:55 pm

Well, like previous posters, I have used mine without problems. And I crash them, and quite often self launch on the beach.
Obsession 12 >1 year (my most frequently used kite), Obs 9 almost 1 year, and I have used RRD HT2 and T9 before without any problem.
I have used both 2008 and 2009 bars, they have held up really well for me, and I used one bar for both sizes.

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:38 pm

Well, like previous posters, I have used mine without problems. And I crash them, and quite often self launch on the beach.
Obsession 12 >1 year (my most frequently used kite), Obs 9 almost 1 year, and I have used RRD HT2 and T9 before without any problem.
I have used both 2008 and 2009 bars, they have held up really well for me, and I used one bar for both sizes.

+1. Fact of the matter is, I wouldn't rep this brand if the kites fell apart no matter how well they flew, I have to look my customers in the eye.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:37 am

ok, I have an 09 Obs 10.5m which I am really enjoying, and I am in the process of adjusting the bar settings.

1) First of all i found that by setting the rear lines so that it is on the small bar setting works much better for my kite size. I found the kite steered too quick on the outside settings for my tastes. Anyone else agree? I would also like to try a smaller bar? Anyone else also try that?

2) Now with the mini fifth line, I noticed that the line was attached to the main ring which meant that when it was activated it will pull on the two front lines evenly. I had to use this once, and found that it didn't completely flag and loose all power, so I adjusted the mini fifth line to attach to the smaller ring which meant when activated will pull on just one of the front lines. Unfortunately since I changed that, I haven't had a chance to test it as we've had a fair bit of wind lately and would prefer to test it in light wind. What do you think about what I did? Is it better or worse? What is your mini fifth configured to do when activated?

3) What is the best way to check that the line lenghts are correct? Should I have the depower strap completely powered and the bar pulled back, resting against the chicken loop stopper ball? Do you have any suggestions for me?

Cheers!

bx
Rare Poster

Postby bx » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 pm

1) First of all i found that by setting the rear lines so that it is on the small bar setting works much better for my kite size. I found the kite steered too quick on the outside settings for my tastes. Anyone else agree? I would also like to try a smaller bar? Anyone else also try that?
Agree, I also use the inner setting. And I liked the feeling of 2008 bar which was shorter than 2009.

2) Now with the mini fifth line, I noticed that the line was attached to the main ring which meant that when it was activated it will pull on the two front lines evenly. I had to use this once, and found that it didn't completely flag and loose all power, so I adjusted the mini fifth line to attach to the smaller ring which meant when activated will pull on just one of the front lines. Unfortunately since I changed that, I haven't had a chance to test it as we've had a fair bit of wind lately and would prefer to test it in light wind. What do you think about what I did? Is it better or worse? What is your mini fifth configured to do when activated?
You've chosen the safest possible configuration, should be OK for killing all power, but it can be hard to retrieve the bar after letting it go in water. I use the small metal ring inside the chicken loop and have removed the mini 5th line for a cleaner setup. Not that I recommend it. But I still have o-shit handles if I need to flag the kite to one line.

3) What is the best way to check that the line lenghts are correct? Should I have the depower strap completely powered and the bar pulled back, resting against the chicken loop stopper ball? Do you have any suggestions for me?
Correct, that's exactly how I check it, too. Line lengths should be equal then. In my case back lines are slightly longer (hard to tell, maybe 2cm max), but this setup is OK for me.

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:40 pm

WildDuke wrote: 2) Now with the mini fifth line, I noticed that the line was attached to the main ring which meant that when it was activated it will pull on the two front lines evenly. I had to use this once, and found that it didn't completely flag and loose all power, so I adjusted the mini fifth line to attach to the smaller ring which meant when activated will pull on just one of the front lines. Unfortunately since I changed that, I haven't had a chance to test it as we've had a fair bit of wind lately and would prefer to test it in light wind. What do you think about what I did? Is it better or worse? What is your mini fifth configured to do when activated?
Should work like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrG5442y ... re=channel

But remember that RRD manual says that the mini fifth line shouldn't go through the bar when attached to one front line. If you put it through the bar, in the worst case the ring could block the bar from sliding up, though it's not that likely to happen, as the ring is fair away from bar stopper. Maybe changing those rings into a Naish Y split ring from 2010 bar would do better, but I'm not sure if those would fit and if so can those be bought.
WildDuke wrote: 3) What is the best way to check that the line lenghts are correct? Should I have the depower strap completely powered and the bar pulled back, resting against the chicken loop stopper ball? Do you have any suggestions for me?
http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/cms/ ... al_Y14.pdf pages 16 and 17

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

WildDuke wrote:ok, I have an 09 Obs 10.5m which I am really enjoying, and I am in the process of adjusting the bar settings.

Cheers!
You are correct on all of your set up options. The rest is up to personal opinion.

For #1, I switch between the wide and short bar settings, depending on what my mood is. Unhook = slower turning, Wave = faster turning. You're fine either way. Also, this Year, we'll be offering a shorter bar (44/48 cm), so you can give that a swing when it comes out.

For #2, I leave my mini fifth set up as default, as it gets plenty of depower (not full) and relaunches better. If you plan on using your Mini fifth line alot throughout the day, I'd keept he stock setup. If you only use it in case of emergency, tethering it to one front line only is safer.

For #3, front and back lines should be equal length when using your method. I also suggest sticking with your method to tune your lines.

Cheers,
Jeff

Return to “Kitesurfing”