Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Say thank you to SS Kitedesigner

forum for kitesurfers

bodnsay
Rare Poster

Say thank you to SS Kitedesigner

Postby bodnsay » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Nowadays we here a lot of bad things what went wrong with this and this kite and manufacturers often get attacked

Therefore I really have to thank all the involved guys in the Slingshot Kite Design Team for the new Octane.
After the first rides on those I have to tell you, that you went really close to my opinion of how a kite should behave.
I didn`t like the former Octane a few years ago, cause it had not enough power in the low end, so I was sceptic about the new one. But everything is great, power, handling, turning speed, direct feel, bar pressure, safety + relaunch :jump:
nothing what I could mention here, well done, keep on doing this work in the future and I will stay your customer :heartface:

And for all those still searching for new kites. There are a lot of other good kites on the market, and maybe even better in certain points, but this one fits best for me :rollgrin:

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Re: Say thank you to SS Kitedesigner

Postby shymac » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your stoke!

But you "thank" one of these guy's for sure, next time you see him!... HAHAHAH :giveup:

http://slingshotsports.wordpress.com/20 ... st-report/

agio
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, Jeri
Style: wave,freestyle,freeride
Gear: NK Evo 2011: 6 + 8m2; NK Fuse 2010: 12m2; NK Rhino 05: 16m2; Trax5 2010
prior kite: globerider sonic 2006, north rhino 2005, takoon waroo 2003, naish R3 2001
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby agio » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:29 pm

hi shymac,

seems you are close to the ss crew. ;-)

looking for abot 1 year for new kites, but never got one in my hands that confinced me in all matters (safety, sizes available, bar pressure, performance I prefer, quality)

SS Octane could be the go but the sizing in 2m steps just sucks!!!

give the RPM a 7 m and the Octane a 8 so you can build up nice quivers like.

7-10-14 for rpm

or

8-11-15 for octane

the existing sizing just keeps me (and for sure other) away from buying slinghot even everything else seems to be perfect.

regards
harry

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:40 pm

agio wrote:hi shymac,

seems you are close to the ss crew. ;-)

looking for abot 1 year for new kites, but never got one in my hands that confinced me in all matters (safety, sizes available, bar pressure, performance I prefer, quality)

SS Octane could be the go but the sizing in 2m steps just sucks!!!

give the RPM a 7 m and the Octane a 8 so you can build up nice quivers like.

7-10-14 for rpm

or

8-11-15 for octane

the existing sizing just keeps me (and for sure other) away from buying slinghot even everything else seems to be perfect.

regards
harry
Really just an opinion. I fly RPM 14-10-8 and can ride comfortably to just over 40 mph without a problem at 185 lbs.. If I wanted to ride in winds higher I would have the 6m. Perfect spacing for the RPMs. Last weekend I got a chance to fly the Octane 9 in 30-40 mph winds. It is deffinately not a Rev 3. Totally different kite. Both kites are awesome but the RPM is the "SHIZNIT".

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:32 pm

agio wrote:...

regards
harry
I don't get why this is an issue? Some kites go by odd sizes (5/7/9/11) some go by even (6/8/10/12). Do you want a kite size every meter?

Anyway, doesn't keep me off the kites. I just looks at the windcharts, adjust for my preference/size, and choose the kite that fits.

agio
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, Jeri
Style: wave,freestyle,freeride
Gear: NK Evo 2011: 6 + 8m2; NK Fuse 2010: 12m2; NK Rhino 05: 16m2; Trax5 2010
prior kite: globerider sonic 2006, north rhino 2005, takoon waroo 2003, naish R3 2001

Postby agio » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 pm

yeah, some brands offer every m² on their small sizes which makes sense for some useres to build their ideal set of kites. eg north or fone

every 2nd m² a kite makes sometimes no sense. some companies realized that 5+ years ago when they started to make a 9 to fit to the most used size 12.

we are almost in 2010 and kites offer big range so I don t want to buy a 10 + 8 Combo while 6 + 10 just wont work. so 7 is missing here.

regards

magnus_norway
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10
Cabrinha XBow 7
Cabrinha Switchblade 12
Slingshot Lunacy 129

Postby magnus_norway » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:17 am

agio wrote:I don t want to buy a 10 + 8 Combo while 6 + 10 just wont work. so 7 is missing here.
What's so wrong with 6 + 10? I can see that you probably won't always hit the kite's sweet spot, but it will give you a greater high-end than 7 + 10. At least for me, that's the option I would go for... And also, I've heard that the 6 RPM is such a nice kite! I have a 10 RPM now, and I can't wait to complement it with a 6 and a 14. I think that would be the perfect quiver for getting most fun time on the water...

Regards.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:07 pm

Get yourself a 3 kite quiver. That will solve things.

Small guys can get by with a 2 kite quiver and some larger guys if they have a wider board selection. I know some people are very proud that they can buy a 9M and have a one kite quiver. I think for most people, though, you're pushing your luck at the high end to have the kite depowered so much. That is still a lot of sail up there when things go wrong.

That 6M is a sweet kite. You'll have trouble finding the top end of that thing....then again, some people say the same thing about the 8M. :)

Bradders
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Bradders » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:18 pm

I agree with Agio, 4 metres between sizes in too big and 2 metres is too small.
3 metres is the perfect size gap between your kites (most companies are doing it now)
ie 12m & 9m or 11m & 8m

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby FarQueLot » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:52 am

In most kite sizing it works well in the money size because of the percentage change in size, i have found good overlap with extensive wind range by going up a 1/3 or down a 1/4 (as in a ratio of 3/4) that's why the 9/12 is a great combo-my own general use from 12 to 30 knots is this kit-Ii have a mixed quiver of 9 fuel and 12 rpm which seems to work well, would love to add a 7 octane to this but lack the number of days that this would see service as i love the 9 powered, and works pretty well in downwinders on light days- boards used will also fill in perceived gaps or just have every sized kite if it matters that much.

With a smaller kite it is harder to get a nice match because of the wind conditions you generally encounter so get what fits your conditions a 7 is a great size that i don't bother with because of my weight(95kgs) - but miss out or have a big day if there is wind constantly above 30 knots. a 6 m will be hard to top out but lack in the bottom end but this is more a storm sail that will cover the ugly end of town and will have a minimal overlap.

luv
F

Return to “Kitesurfing”