Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone back to kiting after lateral meniscus tear in knee?

Forum for kitesurfers
FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Anyone back to kiting after lateral meniscus tear in knee?

Postby FredBGG » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:58 pm

If you have knee problems and you don't what to trash them it's time to go surfboard strapless
Or surfboard and in and out of wide straps.

The stance on a twin tip puts a lot of stress and twisting stress on the knees.
The real problm is repetatinve stress that you get in the "locked in" position on a twintip.

I found even more benefit using a flexible centerline hull surfboard (Aviso). Smoothest ride out there on a surfboard. Nice ridgid rails so the board is still clean and precise in the water. But the deck and hull have significant flex absorbing inpact with chop and on landings.

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:50 pm

Meniscus injuries are sometimes misdiagnosed!

I was diagnosed with a meniscus tear three weeks ago (via MRI). Opted for surgery, and woke up with a knee repair that puts me on crutches until Christmas (ooh, and he found nothing wrong with the meniscus). He cut out some cartilidge on the medial condile.

I will say that, after three weeks, I am very happy with my recovery and have full range of motion!
I am an avid triathlete, and was working toward a half marathon in January.

I went to the doc with symptoms similar to what you described...I had a sore knee in the spring that lasted until June. The knee was hard to bend, and was swolen behind the leg.

I ran a horrible flareup three weeks ago, and could hardly bend my knee. Two days later, I was playing football and fine. There were good days and bad days but in the end, I just had to get it taken care of.

And having really good insurance really helped.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
KS

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:21 pm

Scarecrow - that is so much the same story as me - this thing, when it acts up, gets swollen I can't bend my leg too far. I also get tight or spasmed muscles in the back so I have to stretch. I will really grill the 2nd opinion doctor when I see him this week on his opinion of the MRI photos. Funny the tear is located in a place where I don't feel the symptoms.

I feel like I have to do something because last June I too was out the whole month due to this thing being swollen. And damned if I didn't really do anything to cause it. Just my normal kiting and windsurfing. On Father's day I went out all day though so that's what did it. I'm out now from an incident a couple weeks ago playing on the floor with my kids. My knee doesn't like kneeling or deep squats.

Please keep me posted on your recovery and timeline back to kiting.

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Sure thing, Markchatwin.

I'll let you know how I feel, but I will say that even since two weeks ago, I have resumed swimming and am using the leg more and more every day.

I have unti next Friday on the crutches and I pray that I will be allowed to walk freely (with no support).

Good luck with your second opinion.

Ian

steveb
Frequent Poster

Postby steveb » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:02 am

I had my left knee done in the days of the big cut , 10 days bed rest, and weeks in a cast. At least we don't have to go through that crap anymore.
I've been having trouble with my right knee for some time know, saw a Doc yesterday and he suggested a cortizone injection and physio for a couple of weeks as an attempt to avoid surgury. First Physio tomorrow but I have to say my knee feels amazing only one day after the shot. Least pain I've had for a very long time.
We're waiting for the ice to get thick enough to snow kite here, so I can't tell you how it'd feel after water kiting, and it'll be a couple of weeks till the ice is thick enough to snow kite. But general walking etc. is a huge improvement, I'd love to avoid surgury if I can.Fingers crossed.

Radek
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Keho Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Blanca, Kailua Bay
Style: free
Gear: SB Cab 14, 9
135 Blunt

Postby Radek » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:48 am

I'm surprised that nobody mention the knee brace. They are quite expensive but talk to your Doc this could be an option that will get you on the water sooner then you think. I was riding and jumping without it, until this fall I did a back roll crushed and for a moment I thought all my ligaments ware shredded to pieces. But I was lucky that it was just painful sprain. Since then CTi2 is on my knee every session.
Couldn't find a picture with a kitesurfer but you get the idea.
http://www.integratif.com.sg/kneebrace/cti2.htm

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape

Postby STORMBIRD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:34 pm

yeah dude...just get a pro knee brace...the off the shelf ones work fine...and get out and shred...as far as the strapless surfboard goes, you might jack yourself up when punting airs...or maybee not...i went back to my twin tip after a similar injury a month later...if i'm not wearing the brace i don't ride very hard...with it on i throw down like a maniac no wories..i have the asterisk brace...really good support, but if i crash really hard, sometimes the plastic clips come off so shop around :thumb:

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Yeh the 2nd opinion doctor is who I'm having surgery with. He is under the assumption that the cartilidge under the kneecap is compromised. This does not show on MRI. He thinks there is a flap or a rogue piece of cartilidge that irritates the area under the kneecap and starts the swelling process. Although the meniscus is torn on the side he does not think this is the culprit. I've tried braces, not as elaborate as the high end one but they don't stop swelling episodes. And if I ever have to use my legs to hold on to a pulling kite, like when I am walking with the kite, the kneecap takes alot of strain.

I've had physical therapy which strengthened the knee but it did not stop the latest swelling episode from happening. It's time and I'm scheduled for Dec 21st. I'm pissed because the snowkite season is ramping up as well as the ski season but if I want to be ready to kite in the Spring then I need to start now...

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Myers Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ft myers Beach - Lanark St
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com

Postby JumpinJoe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:54 pm

I am going to start off by say I am freaked to see a doctor. So I would rather suffer then see one.

But I hurt my knee in Brazil this last September doing a mega loop. I bent my knee the wrong way due to my foot strap pooping out. And don't anyone say wear boots. I tried them and hate ride with boots. But I has gotten much better but not perfect has anyone had a knee injury take a long time to full heal. I got to 80% fast but its been this last 20% that has been slow. I think I am at like 90% now.

Has anyone had this happen.

joffaburger
Rare Poster
Local Beach: When I'm back home - Gold Coast - Spit, Narrowneck, Nobbies, Currumbin, and Kirra
Favorite Beaches: Spit, Narrowneck, Nobbies, Currumbin, and KirraMerimbula, Philip Island, Flinders, Pt Leo, Pt Impossible, Pt Danger, Cactus, Margaret River, Falcon Bay, Woodmans Pt, Dutch Inn, Lancelin, Gero,
Style: surf
Gear: custom surf board KOMA expoxy NSP fish thruster 6 footer - Eclipse KIMA kites 12m 9m and soon a 6m!

Postby joffaburger » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Had a MRI a couple years ago after kiting for a year due to a niggly knee (inside meniscus) the MRI found a few small tears that could have been there from before kiting too... I have laboured with the pain and particularly not being able to full close the knee which sux on big landings for the last 2 years including a bit of ITB related outside knee pain! THEN I was put onto MSM Glucosamine Chondroitin joint food by nutralife. I'm not pimping the company but it's the one I use, after 2-3 weeks of taking this stuff (just 1 spoonful dailywith apple juice and fish oil capsules I can say I don't have the knee problem anymore! Almost all symptoms are gone and I can full compress my knee again! I only wished I tried this stuff 2 years ago as it would have saved me so much pain and massage therapy....

Return to “Kitesurfing”