Forum for kitesurfers
FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer & Light Winds

Postby FredBGG » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 am

flyingweasel wrote:
So howcome all the dorks on dorkzone are claiming the speed 2 to still have the better lowend to a point of non-measureable difference before complete loss of interest.
Now now weasel... no need to get offensive....

Anyway some Speed 2 riders have found the low end to be a bit better on the Speed 2 some have forund it to be a bit better on the Speed 3. Some have found it to be about the same.
I have found it to be about the same, but I think that once I get to know the kite better it will be marginally better. What has substantially changed is how well the kite flys and turns. In particular how well you can survive below the usable low wind limit and make it back to the beach if the wind dies. The advantage of super light fabric with the weight evenly distibuted over the canopy.

Today I rode 2 and a half hours. Had the prime spot of Leo Carrillo to myself. Cruizing, jumping and riding the particularly nice surf today.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby flyingweasel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:14 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby gonewiththewind » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:36 am

flyingweasel wrote:So howcome all the dorks on dorkzone are claiming the speed 2 to still have the better lowend to a point of non-measureable difference before complete loss of interest.
flyingweasel wrote: ....point completely missed due to your unhealthy obsessive behaviour

you really do give definition to the term "loser" and "f"£kwit"

"Obsessive", "loser", and "f"£kwit" are all words that might apply to somebody who has no interest in foils, yet spends enough time stalking a foil forum that he knows about the in's and out's of various threads of discussion.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:34 pm

5 knots now!!! WOW that is great

6-8 upwind and jumping apparently nowdays!!!!! Brilliant

So howcome all the dorks on dorkzone are claiming the speed 2 to still have the better lowend to a point of non-measureable difference before complete loss of interest.

Odd because the speed 2 was never able to do that low either.

you must small, full of hot air and pi$$. thats not too aryan now is it?
Raceboards are wonderful things. Even if you weigh 82 Kilos. :D

At 8 knots the Flyradical M with Boots comes out, and the Wakestyle fun begins.

Actually it would be a bad thing for me if everyone catches on to the Foils, cause then I would have to share my spot again. :wink:

--

Gunnar

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:33 pm

I think the only kite that could be better in light wind would be another foil - the Ozone 17m Yakuza GT.

Unfortunately, it's an open foil design, so re-launching probably isn't and option if it gets wet.

But it makes me wonder if there would be a way of pushing the FS 19m even further by offering a version with fixed bridles. It would drop the low end, but it would really hurt the range to the top end.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:33 pm

flyingweasel wrote:Is any more proof of the dorks on dorkzone needed?

Judging by the action on there its just you and the choir left as you have bored everyone into submission,"stoke killed" for the children. Well done!

And as per usual ....point completely missed due to your unhealthy obsessive behaviour

you really do give definition to the term "loser" and "f"£kwit"

:thumb:
I think you are the one with an unhealthy obsession....
For someone who for some wierd reason hates foils... you spend a lot of time discussing them.
You seen to dislike me a lot too.... and spend a lot of time stalking me on the forum.
You also seem to hate foilzone (what you call dorkzone)... but you spend a lot of time there or at least claim to be very knowlegable on the contents of said forum.

I think what really worries you is that foils are starting to go mainstream and plenty of discussion and a growing amount of users here on kiteforum.

For me on the other hand this is goos news.... more kites... more fun.
What is particulatly intresting is that there are more and more LEI centric riders that are adding a big foil to their quiver.(I started with a big Flysurfer and soon switched my whole quiver to flysurfers.)

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:I think the only kite that could be better in light wind would be another foil - the Ozone 17m Yakuza GT.

Unfortunately, it's an open foil design, so re-launching probably isn't and option if it gets wet.

But it makes me wonder if there would be a way of pushing the FS 19m even further by offering a version with fixed bridles. It would drop the low end, but it would really hurt the range to the top end.
Hey Dave

There is a guy around here that rides "sink suicide mode" (open cell on water). I think he uses a big blade. Very very flat kite. He strictly rides park and ride and cruises around in very light stuff.

You may be right about designing a fixed bridle for the Speed 3 19m for more low end, especially if you could make it as flat as the blade. However you would lose a lot of the fun factor.
The direct depower of the Speed 3 19m makes it the best Speed yet.
Personally I don't think it can go as fast in a straight line as a Speed 1 of equivalent size but it is
such a user friendly and "fun" preforming low wind kite.

Cheers

Fred

Return to “Kitesurfing”